Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
luvmyclassics

Default Radiator decision time

Am I better off to recore my original radiator (condition unknown) or purchase new? Looking at one of the US radiator models.
luvmyclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Radiator decision time

Your answer kinda depends on the degree of originality you're going for. There are some mighty fine (expensive) new radiators available, but they wouldn't pass muster on the Concourse as original. If it were mine, I'd recore the original tanks. Save a bunch of money and get a great cooling system out of it. Just go for the maximum number of tube rows that will fit in your tanks. something else... Don't even think about putting in an aluminum radiator.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:02 AM   #3
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Your answer kinda depends on the degree of originality you're going for. There are some mighty fine (expensive) new radiators available, but they wouldn't pass muster on the Concourse as original. If it were mine, I'd recore the original tanks. Save a bunch of money and get a great cooling system out of it. Just go for the maximum number of tube rows that will fit in your tanks. something else... Don't even think about putting in an aluminum radiator.
May I ask why you say this? For "Concours", sure. However, I have seen quite a few posts, both here and other places, from people who were quite satisfied with theirs, and you can't beat the price. I guess a lot depends on the type of car. I sure wouldn't for a high buck deuce, but I'd think long and hard about it for a budget build shoebox.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #4
G.M.

I agree with post #2 although it looks like there are good copper reproductions
for close to $900.00. I wouldn't use an aluminum one, they sell from $150.00
to $300.00 I feel there is to much movement of the sheet metal the radiator
is secured to and in time could break. But at $150.00 you could replace it if it
cracked. Just my opinion. G.M.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:03 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

Another consideration is what car are you talking about - with what engine? One can easily save hundreds of dollars with an after-market aluminum radiator - in almost any car. BUT - you wouldn't catch me dead with one in a vintage/original styled early Ford.

Cost can be a big factor - just try finding a really good 32 V8 radiator . . . even as a core - can cost more than a new Walker brass radiator.

Another challenge is finding a good radiator shop that can do a quality job on recoring an original. I had my 32 V8 radiator re-cored (cost me $850) - and they didn't quite get the top-tank to sit where it needed too . . . grille shell didn't fit right. I then had to take it back and start all over again. I'd have been much better off paying some extra bucks to send it to Brassworks and have their vintage experts do it right the first time.

Lesson learned . . .

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
ford38v8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
May I ask why you say this? For "Concours", sure. However, I have seen quite a few posts, both here and other places, from people who were quite satisfied with theirs, and you can't beat the price. I guess a lot depends on the type of car. I sure wouldn't for a high buck deuce, but I'd think long and hard about it for a budget build shoebox.
You make a good point, but for a 6 cylinder, not a V8. The Ford flathead V8 needs all the help it can get for cooling, and the fact is, aluminum just doesn't transfer heat as well as copper or brass. Silver would be even better for cooling, but I don't know anyone who could afford that! Besides the day 1 cooling capacity, aluminum's ability to cool goes down rapidly as it oxidizes. The useful life of aluminum is far down the scale from copper.

If all that isn't enough, consider, if you will, that a guy that puts an aluminum radiator in a vintage collector car just doesn't understand the hobby, does he?
Old 05-23-2017, 10:23 PM   #7
gnolnor

I say re-core the original tanks. Keep it stock.
gnolnor
gnolnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
junk yard kid

My dad forgot to add anti freeze for a few years in his 34 ford. Its a street rod and a four door and i hate it. The aluminum radiator just rotted out from the inside. I was doing a tune up and boom a good hole in the bottom tank. what a nightmare that was, with the 500 caddy and ac.
junk yard kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
waterboychuck

I would re-core your old radiator.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
blucar

The radiator in my '36 is original to the car, I have owned the car since 1952, it has always had soluble oil mixed with the water as a rust inhibitor or coolant anti-freeze.
I am in the process of waking the car up from a long hibernation, I will have the radiator repaired as necessary, maybe a new core, no signs of rot to the core, but one never knows.
I have used aluminum radiators in three of my vintage cars with great success. I always use modern coolant made for aluminum, the only vintage car that I have that does not have an aluminum radiator is my '65 Corvair..
Old 05-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #11
chap52

If you don't care about original...Here is a place that has a great product at a good price. I have been using their radiator for a couple of years and love it.
www.Championcooling.com (951) 245-9464 I would just call them for you specific needs.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote