Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2014, 05:14 AM   #1
russcc

Default 6 Volt coil rebuilding.

Is there someone in the Northeast that rebuilds 6 volt model A coils ? The coil that is on the roadster was on it the car when it was stored in a barn in the 1950's. I bought it in 2005, and have been driving it with the same coil since. Recently had some running issues, backfire, slowdown, quit. Replaced the condenser, no cure. Ray Helgers the resident expert on this stuff put his finger on the coil, as that is how it acts as it heats up. Any suggestions on rebuilders ?
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:33 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: 6 Volt coil rebuilding.

It might be just as cheap to call Bert's for a good original. 800-321-1931
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
woodiewagon46

He is not in the Northeast, but Skip Haney, skip@fordsrus, 941-637-6698 days and 941-505-9085, restores coils. He is located in Punta Gorda Florida.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
dlfrisch

russcc - I'm having some of the same issues your are having. Now, I can't even get a good spark to start the engine.

I bought a new condenser from O'Rielly's Auto Parts and the motor fired and about 2 seconds quit. Tried a few times - same thing. I'm not sure, maybe voltage (12V) has a strange reactance with the 6V system......? I now ordered a new capacitor and coil from Smith and Jones - West Columbia, SC. Should be here tomorrow - snail mail.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

I agree with what Tom says in post #2 , if you want to run one of the pretty original coils . I would first check for carbon tracks on the lower bakelite part of the coil . Carbon tracks are about the only thing that ever goes wrong with the original tar filled coils . Carbon tracking on the lower coil is mentioned in the service bulletins. Carbon tracks will look like small cracks or lines in the bakelite and can be carefully scraped off with a pocket knife. Original tar filled model A coils have higher voltage output and run better than most replacement coils . I've heard of people installing the internals of a modern oil filled coil into a model A coil housing . This type rebuild probably won't hold up very long unless the coil is mounted upside down . Modern coils on more modern cars are mounted upside down as compared to the way that model A coils are mounted . The reason for the difference in mounting is because the oil in modern coils settles to the bottom of the coil to cool the windings . If a modern oil filled coil is mounted in the usual model A manner , oil can leak out of the coil tower where the wire connection are . Also the upper part of the windings won't be covered by the oil and will overheat and fail prematurely . I avoid the use of oil filled coils in my model A's . I either run the original tar filled coils that have never failed for me or for performance applications I run the Pertronix epoxy filled flamethrower coils . One of the main causes of weak ignition in most model A's is the weak replacement coils that most use . Running the so called modern upper plate will continue to give condenser failures as long as it is used .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote