Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2022, 06:49 PM   #1
Late31ugh?

Default #4 Rod bearing disintegrated?

I need help understanding what my options are to repair one connecting rods babbitt bearing. Is this an engine out repair or can a new bearing be poured and the piston and rod be reinstalled? I know how the babbitt is poured but I don't know what is required to fit the new bearing to the crank. We caught this early and the crank, rod and other bearings are in good condition.
Hopefully the two pictures actually attached to show the failure but It looks like the oil passage was blocked and the oil starved bearing overheated and failed. Am I on the right track or should I be looking for a bigger problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220612_181045.jpg (30.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 20220612_181050.jpg (30.5 KB, 103 views)
Late31ugh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:14 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: #4 Rod bearing disintegrated?

Re-poured rods are available from the vendors, or have that one done. It all should bolt back up if you can give correct dimensions. You don't need to pull the engine, just the head. How fast do you drive your car?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:07 PM   #3
nkaminar

Default Re: #4 Rod bearing disintegrated?

The new bearing can be fitted using the yellow Time Saver, see link at bottom. You make a paste and use that to lap the bearing to fit the journal. The yellow Time Saver will only lap the Babbett and not the journal. You start out by removing one shim at a time, alternating between sides, until the bearing starts to get tight. Then use the Time Saver to fit the bearing. The Babbett will have a uniform appearance when it is fitted. Follow the directions that are supplied with the material. Clean thoroughly and use an assembly lube. Break the bearing in by running at varying speeds but not more than about 35 mph for about 100 miles.

Fitting the bearing may not be needed if the rod bearing is machined very accurately. Check the clearance with Plastigauge.

This can be done with the engine in the car but generally things are much easier when the engine is mounted on an engine stand in your garage or shop.

You will have to measure the journal to order the correct bearing. Use a micrometer and assure that the journal is not out of round or tapered more than 0.0005.

A rod bearing will fail like that if the engine is run with excessive ignition advance. Not saying that this is the case here, but a rod bearing will look like that if it is the case. The excessive advanced ignition puts a lot of stress on the rod bearing.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...d=980308&cat=0
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 06-12-2022 at 09:21 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote