Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
700rpm

Default Installed my new Stipe shocks today

New shocks on, and took the coupe for a ride. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the set I removed, rebuilt by John Holland, and the new Stipes. The Holland shocks needed replacement, though; the front ones were leaking. The rears are fine. However, I have only had those shocks on the car for less than 2000 miles. I expected more.

I'm not disappointed in Stipes. I figure they will last me for the rest of my life. But John Holland's, at least the rears, served OK for 17 months.

So I'll be putting the Holland shocks up for sale on the Swap Meet page shortly, if anyone can use two good ones and two leakers.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Installed my new Stipe shocks today

Sounds like a good reason not to buy John Holland shocks. Another testimonial for Stipes. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
New shocks on, and took the coupe for a ride. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the set I removed, rebuilt by John Holland, and the new Stipes. The Holland shocks needed replacement, though; the front ones were leaking. The rears are fine. However, I have only had those shocks on the car for less than 2000 miles. I expected more.

I'm not disappointed in Stipes. I figure they will last me for the rest of my life. But John Holland's, at least the rears, served OK for 17 months.

So I'll be putting the Holland shocks up for sale on the Swap Meet page shortly, if anyone can use two good ones and two leakers.
John's a great guy. Bet he would either repair your two leakers or replace them. probably for nothing.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:00 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
John's a great guy. Bet he would either repair your two leakers or replace them. probably for nothing.
I am sure 700 would have contacted him before writing bad comments about his product , Right ?
Old 09-26-2016, 06:59 AM   #5
ron103140

Can someone please give me John Hollands contact? I have some that he rebuilt that are leaking also. Thanks, Ron
ron103140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron103140 View Post
Can someone please give me John Hollands contact? I have some that he rebuilt that are leaking also. Thanks, Ron
Did he re build them for you ? Check the sticky up above. Wayne v
Old 09-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
Ray64

John Holland 1 330 483 3896
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:

You did contact John Holland before and advise him of the problem to give him a chance to correct it, right ?
Old 09-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #9
ron103140

Thanks Ray for the contact number. Ron
ron103140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:

In all fairness you should have communicated with John Holland before you criticized his product on this forum. Hopefully you did as that would be the truly
Professional thing to do. Did you give him a chance to correct the problem ? Wayne
Old 10-01-2016, 01:06 AM   #11
1930marie

My new Stipe shocks are awesome. When I replaced the front and rear leaf springs last year, I felt my old shocks were working well enough. I have to continually remind myself my car is 86 years old with the Stipe's, it rides that nice.