Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
oldford

Default What is Urethane paint

What is the difference between urethane and acrylic enamel paint. I've used enamel before but never urethane. The paint store said they can get a better match of paint if I use urethane. Can urethane be sanded and buffed out like the other paints. Do you have to use a clear coat over it.
oldford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: What is Urethane paint

Urethane seldom needs a clear coat if the surface is prepped well and you can insure a clean spray area like a paint booth. It maintains a wet look for a long period of time and it is tough & durable after full cure. Drawbacks are that it takes time to get a full cure to hardness. In cooler weather it can remain soft for as much as a month. You can touch it without worry but rocks will chip it easilly till it gets full cure up. Another is, it's expensive.

I have used it on aircraft for many years and some that have set outside near everyday for years and it holds up better than any other type of coating. That's why it is used in aviation so much. The airliners don't spend a lot of time in the hangar, mostly just for scheduled maintenance. The rest of there life they are either in the air or waiting to get there. Epoxy paint is used where chemicals will attack it such as wheel wells and landing gear but it chalks up if it sets in the sun too long so is better suited for interior or underwing locations.

Kerby
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Evil-Eric

Im a die hard acrylic enamel guy..but for grins I tried the PPG urethane..black no less.. on a dash board. I prefer PPG so I used the whole system..high build primer..sealer..and top coat. Well it turned out really..I mean really super nice. I let it sit a month till I had time off and color sanded and buffed and it was a thing a beauty. All this painting in a car port, never even wetted the floor down. Because of the cost I would not be spraying chassis stuff, but for in your face items I say go for it.

BTW I sold the car but replaced the dash with another one just cause it turned out so nice..what can I say Im easly impressed
Evil-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
oldford

That's what I was wanting to know. If you could wet sand it and buff it out. I do not have a spray booth so I know I will be getting dust and everything thing else in the air. What grit paper did you use?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Lawson Cox

1500 to 2000 grit, wet sanding. Maybe 800 to get the dust out before final sanding with 1500-2000. Then buff.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
Marv

Has anyone used the Extreme Auto Line Pro 9000 urethane paint? I have seen it on Ebay and was wondering if it was as good as it is supposed to be. The price is cheap enough. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
BillM

I've used acrylic enamel a number of times in the past and decided to try the single stage urethanes. After recovering from shock at the prices of the PPG and DuPonts, I checked out Napa and their urethane was a lot less. I bought a quart of black and painted my frame with it and liked the way it sprayed. There is a brand called Advantage that is also available locally with premixed colors of urethane. I sprayed some of it in Viper Red and liked it also. There are also urethanes at Summit Racing and TCP Global.
http://www.autobodybrands.com/advant...advantage.html
http://www.tcpglobal.com/
Old 10-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Coupe35

I had used laquer for years untill they stopped selling it. From there I went to acrylic enamel and now most of the stores here do not sell it. I guess if I paint another car I will use urethane since that will most likely be the only thing I will be able to buy. Except, when I was in the paint store, they were putting on the shelves a new water base paint for cars. I guess that's the next thing but who ever heard of spraying water base paint on steel.
Coupe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
rotorwrench

If the EPA gets their way, we'll be painting with latex and a brush before too long.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
Marv

I do not know this for a fact, but the people that sell the polyurathane Extreme Auto line Pro 9000 paint says that it will keep indefenitely until you mix the catalyst in. If this is true and a person had a place to keep it it may pay to buy ahead of time. I was told that within a year a indiviual will not be able to buy automotive paint, without schooling, paint booth and a recycling setup. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Karl Wescott

*SAFETY WARNING*

Urethane paint is great stuff as mentioned above BUT!

All urethanes contain isocyanates, which are a really nasty bad stuff. They are what is called a sentensizing allerigin. Each time you (or someone around you) gets exposed they may or may not become allergic. When allergic some nasty respiratory things, and skin things can happen.

The important thing is to use the proper safety gear when spraying. This means a full suit with supplied air. NO SKIN, NO FILTER MASK. This also means a spray booth with proper filters. If you spray outside and your neighbor gets sick where are you going to be.

Sorry to throw water on the parade but if we wish to keep our hobby we have to be responsible.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
oldford

For you guys that sprayed urethane. Do you use a spray booth, full suit with supplied air, or just a filter mask. I know there are warnings with every type of paint but is all that really necessary when your only spraying a little at a time and in a well vented area.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #13
Chucks32

Send a message via AIM to Chucks32

I painted a car with dupont imron in my garage, stapled plastic sheeting to the walls, wet the floor down and an exhaust fan in the window.... paint went on real nice, wet sanded with 1500, buffed with finese.. looks PERFECT! I wore long sleeves and wore a real good respirator.. A full suit is better as it can work thru your exposed skin, NEVER paint without a quality respirator.
Chucks32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
IVT1

Hope you have a good mask for breathing while you paint with that stuff,it will kill you.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #15
X38

Well, the isocyanates (the bad stuff) gets through masks - good or otherwise, that's why you''re supposed to have an air feed.
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #16
barnfind

Full face masks, fresh air feed, coveralls, gloves, etc because isocyantes can be absorbed thru the skin or eyes in addition to breathing.

OSHA info:
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/isocyanates/

Health effects of isocyanate exposure include irritation of skin and mucous membranes, chest tightness, and difficult breathing. Isocyanates include compounds classified as potential human carcinogens and known to cause cancer in animals. The main effects of hazardous exposures are occupational asthma and other lung problems, as well as irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and skin.

"Workers exposed to isocyanates can suffer debilitating health problems for months or even years after exposure," said Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health Dr. David Michaels. "Through this program, OSHA will strengthen protections for workers exposed to isocyanates."

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...SES&p_id=24273

Isocyanates are chemicals that can cause occupational asthma, irritation of the skin, eyes, nose and throat, and cancer. Deaths have occurred due to both asthma and hypersensitivity pneumonitis from isocyanates exposure. Respiratory illnesses also can be caused by isocyanates exposure to the skin. Isocyanates are used in materials including paints, varnishes, auto body repair, and building insulation.
Jobs that involve exposure to isocyanates include spray-on polyurethane manufacturing, products such as mattresses and car seats and protective coatings for truck beds, boats, and decks.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #17
Lanny

This thread is almost 2 years old, and one of the posters
has been waiting patiently by his 'puter for more answers.

I think he wants to say thanks......

Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #18
barnfind

Yep - thats what isocyanate exposure will do
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
34pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind View Post
Yep - thats what isocyanate exposure will do
I may be in trouble then. I have painted three cars with urethane and only used a filter mask, short sleeves no gloves in an enclosed garage with no ventilation. Could this explain my condition??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ugly.jpg (8.6 KB, 341 views)
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
keith oh

I would be willing to bet that some of these guys giving advice on the dangers of urethane paint fumes are still filling their lungs with nicotine smoke.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote