Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
[email protected]

Default POLL: So, who's going to win

So, who's going to win, Eli Manning and the Giants or that bunch of losers. Got out to the shop tonight just long enough to realize the '21 isn't getting itself cleaned up and re-assembled. But I'm looking forward to this weekend and getting to spend some serious time with it. I haven't even got to the reason I tore the thing apart in the first place. And considering Mr Loso and Mr Zinken are waiting for me to get my poop in a group so they can help me I think I better get something done. Now for the big question: when I was young, a little over half a century ago, I had a friend who's dad would drain the oil out of his vehicles, put in a gallon of kerosene and run it until the engine warmed up. Then he'd drain it and put in fresh oil. He claimed it was the best way to keep an engine clean. I always thought he was a half a bubble off plumb. Now after reading the Model A forum I see they're seriously discussing doing the same thing. The last question I have is: is there something wrong with people who drive model a's? Do they think this way because they're simple and that's the reason they can only handle the idea of owning a car that was built for 4 years. Or is there something wrong with all of us? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone on this forum washing down the cylinders of their engines with kerosene.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Farmallcub49

Default Re: POLL: So, who's going to win

If you'd get off the computer and quit posting on here you might get something done. Tomorrow there is some big stupid game on tv and instead of wasting my time; I'll be doing something Model T related. Get out in the shop and get something done. Spring is coming and you don't want to be working on a car you should be driving.
Farmallcub49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

Who cares ,i dont. OMO ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmallcub49 View Post
If you'd get off the computer and quit posting on here you might get something done. Tomorrow there is some big stupid game on tv and instead of wasting my time; I'll be doing something Model T related. Get out in the shop and get something done. Spring is coming and you don't want to be working on a car you should be driving.
Look at the time I did this post. I'm so busy I have to be on here when I should be sleeping. My God, I can't believe I got two people to respond to this poll. I'm with ken ct, I don't think anyone cares. I know I won't be watching the stupid game. However I might drive over to a gun show in Hinckley. See if I can't find me a 9mm S&W for decent money. Hey ken ct, are you still doing a lot of work for the flathead people? I think it was carburetors wasn't it? And What does OMO mean?
Old 02-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis

The kerosene trick goes way back and I have heard it many times. Never did it myself though. Oils in the past left some pretty cruddy deposits so I can see the reasoning but I doubt the wisdom. I have also personally witnessed a guy cleaning the insides of a Pontiac Tempest engine by draining the oil. Then he took off the valve covers and liberally sprayed degreaser over everything and let it sit. After a while he took a hot water hose and washed everything down with the water running down the oil galleys into the pan and out the drain. He put the plug back in, filled the crankcase with kerosene and started it up and let it run for a couple minutes. Drained it all out and put in fresh oil and filter. He swore by this method. I swear that he was probably nuts.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Rowdy
BANNED

Not a fan of either team. As long as Eli gets injured I do not care who wins. Now back to Fords if we could. Rod
Old 02-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Look at the time I did this post. I'm so busy I have to be on here when I should be sleeping. My God, I can't believe I got two people to respond to this poll. I'm with ken ct, I don't think anyone cares. I know I won't be watching the stupid game. However I might drive over to a gun show in Hinckley. See if I can't find me a 9mm S&W for decent money. Hey ken ct, are you still doing a lot of work for the flathead people? I think it was carburetors wasn't it? And What does OMO mean?
Yea still at it also dist,and fuel pumps. Been pretty busy for quite a while. OMO = only my opinion. ken ct. Going to a small swap meet tomorrow,i always find something good,gotta get up at 5:00 AM to go.Not selling but buying.LOL = laugh out loud.in case you didn't know that one.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Roadster62

It's the only game I watch every year, and that is because of the commercials. Something wrong with a society that pays people with an IQ that matches their shoe size the millions they do.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
Yea still at it also dist,and fuel pumps. Been pretty busy for quite a while. OMO = only my opinion. ken ct. Going to a small swap meet tomorrow,i always find something good,gotta get up at 5:00 AM to go.Not selling but buying.LOL = laugh out loud.in case you didn't know that one.
Ken I'm use to OMHO=Only My Honest Opinion. Not that I don't think you're being honest. Just sayin... And I know LOL=Lay Off Louie. Or something like what you said.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
J Franklin

I'm going to win by not wasting my time caught up in a football game.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
yachtsmanbill

WWWD? IMHO... YMMV! ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
ora masters

Smile Re: POLL: So, who's going to win

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Otis View Post
The kerosene trick goes way back and I have heard it many times. Never did it myself though. Oils in the past left some pretty cruddy deposits so I can see the reasoning but I doubt the wisdom. I have also personally witnessed a guy cleaning the insides of a Pontiac Tempest engine by draining the oil. Then he took off the valve covers and liberally sprayed degreaser over everything and let it sit. After a while he took a hot water hose and washed everything down with the water running down the oil galleys into the pan and out the drain. He put the plug back in, filled the crankcase with kerosene and started it up and let it run for a couple minutes. Drained it all out and put in fresh oil and filter. He swore by this method. I swear that he was probably nuts.
in 1945 i drove trucks for a small truck owner he had two 1945 ford trucks he would drain the oil put plug back in pour a gallon of GAS in motor start motor then shut motor off drain gas out then re fill with oil true story
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote