Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2023, 09:34 AM   #1
NH-A

Post My First A - 1931 S/W Fordor

(In case you didn't see the last thread, this is the brief intro and photo thread of my first A just brought back yesterday)

I'm John, a 21 year old who has always wanted an A. I have looked for years for a nice one that hasnt been hacked and wasnt rotted out. I have looked at a few over the past years, such as a rotted out tudor, but nothing ever caught my eye. I did not want a car that had a shiny hacked paint job, if I bought one I wanted it done right. I also wanted something rust free, which is impossible to find in NH. After seeing the progress with Terry Burtz new engine, I tried finding one with one installed, but it seems like nobody wants to give one up just yet.

Last week, I happened to browse craigslist and found a decent looking A, located in NH (which turned out to be a mistake, it was in Maine) for $8,000. Some of you may have also seen it. I went there soon after to check it out.

Long story short: I got it yesterday. The seller got it a year ago and has no history from it. It's very odd... There is really no rust. To those of you in California or out west, maybe its rust to you, but to us with snow, this would be considered rust free almost. Yeah, there is some surface rust here and there, but as you will see in the photos, the area where the rear fender bolts to the body for example has very clean, straight lines with no roughness. This thing looks better than cars that are 5 years old up here. The muffler/exhaust is oddly clean... is it original or a replacement? You will see the roof has chipping paint, and its SHINY STEEL with light surface rust spots from me washing it.

I think the photos speak for themselves. I wanted to upload them here, but I don't want to post pixelated photos, so I uploaded them to Google Drive. Just click this link to access: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde..._KlPq-B-j1VmSO

My goal was originally to do a full restoration.
-New paint everywhere, chassis and body
-New Burtz engine (good cam, 6:1 head, dual downdraft carbs), Mitchell trans, BW radiator
-All new mechanical brakes
-All new electrical
-All new interior
-Have all the woodgrained painted trim redone
-All chrome replated
-Rebuilt axles and new springs
etc

I am kind of undecided now though. I see many have cars that have less than half the original paint remaining, and the rest is rust, and they call it patina. But this one has all original paint I think, complete with the worn apple green pin stripes. I'm really not sure what to do now. To me, the paint is almost too good to sand and paint over, but there are spots like the passenger door which are totally worn. The roof metal sides and back have most of the paint cracking off in sheets, I dont really know why, maybe it was under a tarp? At a minimum, any cracked or spotty paint areas will get painted.

This is a true deluxe. It has one sun visor on the drivers side. It has a passenger side kick panel pocket. It has a pocket on the back of the front seat with a rope, and pull ropes by the doors. It has a cowl band and lights. Green mohair(?) with apple green pinstriping. It looks completely original except for a modern fuel filter someone installed, and the period correct heater which will be restored. Two blade steel fan. Briggs body tag. I believe this is an early 31 slant window, and I think the engine is totally original and the serial number puts it at December 1930. There is a sticker indicating Shell changed the oil at 34000 miles... the odometer reads 45000. Is that a lot for one of these?

The wood in the roof from what little I can see is in perfect shape, as if it was built yesterday. The wood is painted black and is super solid, like new. Heck, even the body blocks (?) underneath are practically new. Really weird to see a Maine car look this good. The floor pan under the drivers seat has all the paint and tools! All four fenders are steel with zero rust. Even the toothed edges of the fenders are present and look new. No rips in any fender!

Some questions for those who made it this far:
1. I was annoyed to discover an odd dent on the rear pass door. It looks like the door whipped open and bent/dented the area by the hinge. Opinions on how difficult of a time a body guy will have fixing it?
2. The drivers front fender is the worst. It has a slight twisted area, and multiple dents. Can a shop fix it?
3. I see the original red primer in spots. But why are there areas with a green tint?
4. PLEASE tell me the front seat is all the way forward. Its stuck and wont move. There are only like 5 or 6 inches for you to get your foot through the door between the seat and door frame.

And the big question... What are your opinions on the exterior paint? I know its only original once, but is this truly good enough to leave? I lightly waxed some areas to see if the paint would clean up. It kind of does but still has that spotted finish. The rear fenders have small dimples, I would guess the paint is releasing from the primer. I'd like a nice and shiny paint job, but I don't want to destroy an original paint job if you all think its too nice.

Last edited by NH-A; 10-02-2023 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added link to photos
NH-A is offline   Reply With Quote