Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2024, 07:25 PM   #1
Phil Gillespie

Default 1955 Ford Customline Overdrive G/box

Will be purchasing a 55 Ford Customline fitted with overdrive, factory.
There is a spare gear box with the car. Would this gearbox work with this set up provided this spare gearbox is a stock one?
Appreciate assisstance.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:03 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: 1955 Ford Customline Overdrive G/box

In the US and Canada the 55’s used a Borg Warner T-86 transmission with an R-10 overdrive. Each have T-86 and R-10 cast into the main case. The T-86 is a top loader side shift.

Lots of different manufacturers used this combo though. You’ll probably want to Google “T-86” and take a look at the pictures. If you can find or get the measurements of the trans to bell housing pattern, check that. Even if it’s the right Ford pattern (and I think the Yblock and the 6 were the same. Operative word “think”) there could be differences in the tailshaft length. But you’ll be able to narrow it down pretty close as to the spare. Its value to you is if that the car still has the oem transmission. Even at that, it’ll be spare parts if it’s good. More points if the governor and solenoid are still on the spare. You’d still need to determine if the solenoid is the original 6volts (assuming the car is still 6v).

If the spare is a non overdrive, it’s likely a Ford transmission not a Borg Warner. The tailshft length is different. Still useful. Or, if the spare is a non Ford bolt pattern a lot of the internals might interchange if they’re good.

If by some chance it’s a T-85 with an R-11, take it and run. Those are the heavy duty versions, Ford used them behind the hp FE engines. Heavy as hell, but stout. Real money here. Likely a lot more down under.

Ignore comments that the T-86/R-10 is weak and useless. Many of us blew them up side stepping the clutch and trying to speed shift them. Pilot error is not the fault of the machinery. They were used for years behind the 292 and 6’s and went millions of miles if driven in a sane manner.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 08:05 PM   #3
40cpe

If you are asking if the OD unit can be mounted on a standard 3-speed transmission, NO, the cases are different. That being said, I've heard of them being modified but they aren't the same.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 07:25 PM   #4
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
If you are asking if the OD unit can be mounted on a standard 3-speed transmission, NO, the cases are different. That being said, I've heard of them being modified but they aren't the same.
Thanks very much for your insight and advice.
All are much appreciated.
Phil NZ
Old 04-09-2024, 07:17 PM   #5
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
In the US and Canada the 55’s used a Borg Warner T-86 transmission with an R-10 overdrive. Each have T-86 and R-10 cast into the main case. The T-86 is a top loader side shift.

Lots of different manufacturers used this combo though. You’ll probably want to Google “T-86” and take a look at the pictures. If you can find or get the measurements of the trans to bell housing pattern, check that. Even if it’s the right Ford pattern (and I think the Yblock and the 6 were the same. Operative word “think”) there could be differences in the tailshaft length. But you’ll be able to narrow it down pretty close as to the spare. Its value to you is if that the car still has the oem transmission. Even at that, it’ll be spare parts if it’s good. More points if the governor and solenoid are still on the spare. You’d still need to determine if the solenoid is the original 6volts (assuming the car is still 6v).

If the spare is a non overdrive, it’s likely a Ford transmission not a Borg Warner. The tailshft length is different. Still useful. Or, if the spare is a non Ford bolt pattern a lot of the internals might interchange if they’re good.

If by some chance it’s a T-85 with an R-11, take it and run. Those are the heavy duty versions, Ford used them behind the hp FE engines. Heavy as hell, but stout. Real money here. Likely a lot more down under.

Ignore comments that the T-86/R-10 is weak and useless. Many of us blew them up side stepping the clutch and trying to speed shift them. Pilot error is not the fault of the machinery. They were used for years behind the 292 and 6’s and went millions of miles if driven in a sane manner.
Apreciate your detailed info. The spare is a non O/drive unit out of a 56.
The 55 with the O/Drive I owned around 13 years ago. Let it go but now contacted the owner and he is ready to let it go back to me. Its a US model and contains many features we did not receive in NZ such as the O/Drive, power steering, power brakes, tinted windows and different intetior trim. When I let it go it only had 29000 mls on it. It now has 36000 on it and I look forward to owning it again.
Once again thank you.
Phil NZ