Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #41
Fred K-OR

Default Re: Failed Start After Carb Rebuild

Getting that hot, did you have any water in the radiator? Sorry about such a silly question but it would seem like it should not get that hot and smoke that much.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #42
kcav8or

Yes, there's plenty of water in the radiator. Keep in mind that this was the first successful start after about 15 years. The 2 starts after that were much less smoky. I will check the timing again when I get back over there. It's certainly possible that it's close, but not close enough.
kcav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #43
MikeK

The end of the second video, after we meet your adorable helper Eden, clearly shows the combined intake/exhaust manifold-to-block gasket is shot. There is no point in trying to make any carb adjustments until this is corrected. Of all the A gaskets, this one is a pretty simple fix.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #44
kcav8or

My daughter is drawn to a camera like a moth to a flame!

Yes, I noticed that, too. I've already bought most of the gaskets I thought I might need, so I can replace that one next time.
kcav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:41 PM   #45
Terry,NJ

It looks like your two front spark plugs are not in tight too, But I always wonder why someone would crank his starter almost to cindeers and Not give the carb. a shot or two of ether. Ether tells you so many things! Like whether it can run or not. If it cranked like that after I squirted ether in it, I would look for ignition problems. As it is, I would suspect the float was set too low, But that's just a guess! Did it flood? It didn't sound like it. My feeling were that it was starving for gas.Also advancing the timing just a smidge sometimes helps. Good Luck with it
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcav8or View Post
I'm trying to resurrect my late father's 1931 Model A, and have just finished rebuilding the Tillotson carb, as well as replacing the coil, coil wire, and gascolator. I tried starting it today, and although I did get it to fire a few times, I couldn't get it started. I'm inexperienced with the car, so I'd like to get some opinions on the video here. What's the nature of the problem? Is it my starting technique, or something else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlvZ...ature=youtu.be

BTW, I see that I have an exhaust leak and some minor fuel leaks that need work, so no need to mention those. I also have a new gas line, but couldn't use it today for another reason.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote