Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Jackw

Default 29 coupe

What are the differences between a 5 window standard coupe and a 5 window special coupe.
Jackw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: 29 coupe

I have a 28 special coupe and it is very similar to a 29 special coupe. The special coupe has the top material all the way down to the beltrail, verses just the very top flat part of a std coupe. 29 special coupes were manufactured from the beginning of 29 to the middle of 29 when std coupe production started.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Steve Ciccalone

Rusty, to slightly expand on your response, the standard coupe (steelback if you will) was produced from the start of production until 5/28 when the special coupe with the padded top was introduced and made until being replaced again by the standard coupe. I always thought this seemed like such an oddity and I don't believe I've heard an explantion of why Ford built the '28/29 coupes in this progression
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
wrndln

Steve,
I agree with you about be a little strange. After installing the roof on my special coupe, I for the love of Pete, can't understand how on a production line the workers could install the top on a special coupe in a reasonable time. Granted, I only installed one top and for the first time, but the work required was enormous (not a bad a a fordor) but still way more than a std coupe would be. First the wood framework had to be installed (not easy in my case), next came the 5 sheetmetal roof pieces on the back part, then the padding/top material (very tough on the rounded corners without puckers) and lastly the trim all around the top. I suppose the workers became very experienced, but it still amazes me how they could have done it on a moving assembly line.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

Were not the bodies "assembled" seperatey and then mounted on the moving assembly line??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
Tudortomnz

Someone once posted that perhaps there was some production problems to stamp the metal tops of the standard coupe, therefore the woodframe/ fabric 'special coupe' went into production. Or to save money, but being a high volume model, use of wood & fabric[ as used on low production models] would not have been so easy or economical. It would be interesting to really know.
The bodies did arrive at the assembly line finished to be mounted on chassis.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote