Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Jackw

Default 32-34 ford brakes drums

What is the max inside diameter 1932-1934 ,12 inch brake drums can be turned to.
Jackw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
jerry grayson

Default Re: 32-34 ford brakes drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackw View Post
What is the max inside diameter 1932-1934 ,12 inch brake drums can be turned to.
What do your drums mic now?
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Jackw

Want to buy some used front drums and have read they should not mic over 12.06 is that correct.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackw View Post
Want to buy some used front drums and have read they should not mic over 12.06 is that correct.
I think that is the gov mandate, but I have turned them more with good results. JMO
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Flathead Fever

Every modern drum I have ever turned has been stamped “maximum .060” over, or it has an actual discard specification.

I have all kinds of original early Ford brake literature and nowhere does any of it mention machining brake drums or maximum oversize limits. I even checked an old Motor’s Manual and they do not even discuss brake drum inspections???
Years back, some guy wrote in the Early Ford V8 Times that the drums could be safely turned to .100 over but I have no idea what he was basing his info on? I would think .060 would definitely be safe and .100 might be pushing the limit.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Rem

I had a '34 sedan that the brakes were found to have been turned +3/16" (0.187")! It still stopped, after a fashion, I guess because they had an extra set of linings bonded to the shoes.

When I discovered this, I swapped them out for some good, uncut drums (and matching shoes): when examining the old ones I could actually see daylight through a section of one of the rear ones, where the machining had broken through!
Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
PeteVS

The problem is that the brake drums heat up very rapidly when they are turned too thin. As they heat, they get bigger meaning that the shoes have to travel further out resulting in the pedal going closer and closer to the floor. They may stop you fine running around town, but don't dare drive down a long hill at moderate or higher speeds!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Richard (EV8G)

I adhere to 12.060" because my understanding is that unless cast into the drum otherwise, that is the maximum safe and/or prudent limit. The new USA drums have a maximum on them of 12.090" which means that they are thicker to begin with and can be machined more, although most of us will not ever wear them out... In addition to the heat buildup issue, there is also the issue of "cross-section thickness" where the shoe surface adjoins the drum face. I heard about a guy (supposedly had a bow-tie pickup?) who had machined the drums waaaaay out beyond. He had to make a hard stop one day on the freeway here in Southern California (where all the brakes you can buy are essential...) and all four shoe surfaces supposedly sheared off of the drum faces. In my searches for good used drums, I have found some that had been run at 12.200" which is insane. No matter what the book says (I know I saw it somewhere) the thicker the better, with the fronts being more critical.

I have some good used/usable 32-34 drums that were removed when converting to hydraulics. Good fronts are scarcer than good rears.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
Jackw

Please send me the info on the 32-34 drums you have I would be interested in buying them. Jack
Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
Flathead Fever

Some guys will turns drums until all the bad spots are cleaned up, check them to make sure they are not oversize but they do not match the diameters of the drums on the same axle. You should keep the drum diameters on the same axle within .010 of each other, otherwise they will not brake evenly and will pull to one side. Drum brakes are real finicky compared to discs.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote