Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2022, 09:51 PM   #1
slatgrille

Default Light/horn rod retainer clip

Starting to run the wiring harness on my '29 RPU, but can't get that tiny 'PIA' retainer clip into the slot no matter how hard I try. I've got the tool to compress the spring but even with my son holding the rod steady, I just keep dropping it. After the 4th time I just attached the bail without the clip. It goes together and the rod turns correctly. My question is....is the clip really needed? I know the rod could be pulled out, but is that the only reason it's used?

Not that's it's permanent anyway....the headlights don't work when I turn the rod!

Craig
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:16 PM   #2
sdpet56

Default Re: Light/horn rod retainer clip

I had to squeeze the clip together a bit to get it to stay in place on the rod groove...I used electrial tape to hold the rod lever to one of the webs on the steering wheel and did the assembly under the car with no help or a spring compression tool..
sdpet56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:32 AM   #3
Bob Johnson

Does the clip fit into the slot ? There are reproduction clips that are too small and reproduction rods with slots that are too wide. Try putting in the clip without the spring or spider.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:36 AM   #4
john charlton

The repro "C" clips sometimes need a trial fit in the spider before fitting a small fine file does it . The repro spiders work OK but the original solid style is way better . I have a long steel rule to hold the light rod down or comely assistant . I use two small cable ties around the bail ears and around the spider legs to hold the spider in place against the spring . This is then easy to fit the "C" clip i use a small mirror to check that the clip is correctly seated . I clip the cable ties free and job done . The ears on the spider are 12 oclock 6 oclock .

John in cool rain showers sunny spells the drought is over Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:13 AM   #5
slatgrille

Thank you. I did a 'pre-fit' awhile back on the original rod, and it slid on just fine. It was mentioned to do it from under the car??? I tried from standing over the top.

Still wonder...is the clip crucial to operating the rod??

Craig
Old 09-07-2022, 07:38 AM   #6
Grumps

Yes, the clip has to be used.
Grumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:42 AM   #7
john charlton

The clip is essential as it holds the light rod in the correct position and stops it riding up then the horn wont work . The end of the light rod has the earth return button which must be held pressed into the light switch/harness . I never do it from below always from above aided by a small hand held mirror and small screwdriver to seat the clip ,all dead easy .

John in same place same weather
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:45 AM   #8
jb-ob

I've been successful depressing the spider with a home made tool and then using a the magnet end of a screw starter holding the clip in place, gently backing off the tool.

'Patience'
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:16 AM   #9
aermotor

I can't find it now, but I purchased a tool that was inexpensive from some Model A supplier, C clamp a board across the steering wheel and depress the spring with the tool.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:26 AM   #10
31a

I find the repo C clips have to be modified so that they fit inside the indent in the spider, some have to be enlarged to fit on the horn rod. The tool makes it easier to get the C clip in. Patience is needed.
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:29 AM   #11
sdpet56

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatgrille View Post
Thank you. I did a 'pre-fit' awhile back on the original rod, and it slid on just fine. It was mentioned to do it from under the car??? I tried from standing over the top.

Still wonder...is the clip crucial to operating the rod??

Craig
I did work from the underside of the car, it was a lot easier to see the rod, spring spider and clip for me...This was just after rebuilding the 2 tooth steering box and before I installed the engine pans...
Old 09-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #12
Big hammer

The PIA clip needs to fit the light rod and fit in the recess of the spider, pre fitting a must! I just did this yesterday, strong duct tape holding down the handle to the steering wheel, without engine pans from below pushed the spider up with my fingers and installed the clip with my favorite needle nose pliers. Working from above with a mirror every thing would be backwards, John your the man! I soldered a couple of u-bends on a cooling coil using a large truck mirror, talk above hard to do ! My light switch is way off, off at 4:00, parking light on at 4:30, headlight on at 5:00, high beams 5:30. It’s going to stay that way until I can get some Quality light switch parts
Old 09-07-2022, 10:14 AM   #13
jb-ob

Many creative ways to hold the light switch in place. I use an old flexible yard stick over the horn button & thru the spokes.........
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:25 AM   #14
katy

Deleted

Last edited by katy; 09-07-2022 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Correction
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:46 AM   #15
The Master Cylinder

I never tried it from under under the car. I'll check that out next time. My problem would be I have low circulation and can't hold my arms above my heart for very long.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:12 AM   #16
sdpet56

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
I never tried it from under under the car. I'll check that out next time. My problem would be I have low circulation and can't hold my arms above my heart for very long.
I will be 66 this month and 3 years ago October 13th I was in a head on Harley vs. tractor trailer truck accident...Smashed both wrists, tore a lot of tendons in my right hand and had an open book fractured pelvis, so I feel your pain trying to work in akward positions...Gotta do what works best for you, being on the driveway with the car on jack stands putting everything back together from below worked for me since I was installing the rebuilt 2 tooth steering box...

Hate to admit it, but when I installed the rebuilt 2 tooth steering box in the car I forgot to put the horn-light rod in before I had everything bolted up...A Homer Simpson moment...Doooooh...And I worked in a Nuclear Power Plant too! LMAO
Old 09-07-2022, 01:35 PM   #17
Ted Duke

My experience as a suggestion.
-First, make sure the rod is the right length.
-Second, make sure the clip fits the rod.
-Third, the rod needs to be pushed down hard. I used a yardstick (remember them) woven through the steering wheel. (Alas, there were NO comely maids available) -Fourth, make sure the light switch is all of the way on the rod.
-Then, it should go on easy. Miss a step, no way.

And, don't ask me how I know. LOL That was my experience. Hope it helps you.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:05 PM   #18
Gene F

Trial of clip first. Yes it is needed. I always zip-tie my horn rod down tot he steering wheel spoke. That allows me to put the clip in by myself I use a screw starter that has a little magnet on the end to slip my clip in, then assure it is in with needle nose
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:41 PM   #19
slatgrille

So, I haven't tried putting the clip back on as of yet, but thank you to all with your suggestions. As of now, I have run the wiring harness and the tail light works when I turn the light rod. I also have power to the headlight connections and horn, so the system is working despite not having the clip in place. Once I get the horn and headlight sockets straightened out, I'll go back and and deal with 'Mr. Clip'.

Craig
Old 09-11-2022, 09:37 AM   #20
jrelliott

Lost the original clip for the horn rod and live in a very rural area. Went to the hardware store and purchased an e-clip that fit the horn rod. It has been on the vehicle for over 10 years and works fine. Clip is a little thinner than the original, but still works.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote