Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2023, 07:28 AM   #1
tjm73

Default '32 Tudor Sedan Questions

I recently bought a '32 Tudor. Older restoration but very presentable and fully functional. Other than juice brakes and turn signals, it is stock. It presents as a Deluxe trim with leather/vinyl seats.

I'd like to know more about it as far as what gear box ratios it should have, what axle ratio it should have, any other details specific to the car. I don't know that it has the correct rear axle as I don't know how the juice brake conversion was handled. I'd like to figure out when it was built as well. Where might I find resources like this for this era car? I've been looking for info for a couple days as time allows and must be using the wrong search terms as usually I find what I'm looking for without issue.

Once I know what it should have, I can set about figuring what it does have.
tjm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:52 AM   #2
glennpm

Default Re: '32 Tudor Sedan Questions

Having these two books writen by David Rehor, a frequent and extremley knowledable 32 historian, is a must.

https://shop.efv8.org/collections/fo...tbound-all-new
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:33 AM   #3
Mart

If you can take some photos of the area where the torque tube attaches to the axle, and where the spring and radius rods attach to the axle, and post them here, that would help somewhat. Some pictures of the wheels, drums and front spindles might tell a story too. If wire wheels, what size tires are fitted? All info can be used to put together the jigsaw of what might have been done.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 09:24 AM   #4
Pat/Ohio

Curious....Is it a V8 or 4 cylinder car? I second the purchasing the 2-volume set of the '32 Restoration books written by David Rehor. Great information! Like Mart indicated...pictures would be great!

Good Luck,
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:18 AM   #5
tjm73

It's a factory V8 car. Has the 18" OE wheels with 5.50-18 tires. I'll try to get a few pictures tonight and post them up.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:46 AM   #6
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm73 View Post
It's a factory V8 car. Has the 18" OE wheels with 5.50-18 tires. I'll try to get a few pictures tonight and post them up.
The 4cyl 32’s also used the 18” wire wheels.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:16 PM   #7
jimTN

The tudors are fine cars all except foot room getting in and out. Mine handles, steers and stops fine. I have brake floaters on it and 18" rubber. It has a stock 35 block w/32 heads and 34 intake. It will jump up to 75 easily with a well worn engine. If your rear end has a round flange where the TT connects then you have a early car and rear end which is built like a Model A. If the flange on your rear end is scolloped, you have the later version which is a stouter set up.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 06:19 PM   #8
koates

Buy yourself a reprint copy of the original Ford owners handbook which will give you much information. It came with the car when it was new. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:59 AM   #9
tjm73

Thanks to all for the ideas. I'm definitely going to get the books and owners manual
Old 11-03-2023, 01:10 PM   #10
alchemy

Once you buy the book, there’s no going back. You are destined to fall into the 32 rabbit hole.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 05:45 PM   #11
BobR35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
The tudors are fine cars all except foot room getting in and out. Mine handles, steers and stops fine. I have brake floaters on it and 18" rubber. It has a stock 35 block w/32 heads and 34 intake. It will jump up to 75 easily with a well worn engine. If your rear end has a round flange where the TT connects then you have a early car and rear end which is built like a Model A. If the flange on your rear end is scolloped, you have the later version which is a stouter set up.
You really got my attention here Jim when you said it will jump to 75 easily! My stock '35 struggles to get 60. What's the secret?
BobR35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 02:35 PM   #12
tjm73

I took a pics if the axle this weekend. Gotta figue out how to post pics in this forum. Long story short it has one rib above and one below the torque tube, inline with it.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:07 PM   #13
deuce lover

Is the flange of the torque tube where it attaches to the banjo, round? The ribs you mentioned are on the banjo or center section.The bottom rib should have numbers stamped on it.That is the gear ratio.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 03:56 PM   #14
Charlie Stephens

Post the VIN (actually it's the serial number). Use XXX for the last 3 digits if you are concerned. A lot of information will come from that number.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 04:06 PM   #15
tjm73

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
Is the flange of the torque tube where it attaches to the banjo, round? The ribs you mentioned are on the banjo or center section.The bottom rib should have numbers stamped on it.That is the gear ratio.
I'll check that out.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:08 PM   #16
tjm73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Post the VIN (actually it's the serial number). Use XXX for the last 3 digits if you are concerned. A lot of information will come from that number.

Charlie Stephens
It's 181075xxx
Old 11-06-2023, 04:14 PM   #17
tjm73

I can't post pictures from my phone. Need more posts it seams. Yes it is round.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:21 PM   #18
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm73 View Post
It's 181075xxx
From your serial number your engine was made in 1934 (see http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm). You might want to check the number again. Don't use the number from the transmission, use the number from the top of the left frame rail near the steering. Transmissions were frequently replaced. The number also appears in a couple of places under the body but you must lift the body to see them.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 06:32 PM   #19
tjm73

The number is off the title.
Old 11-06-2023, 07:49 PM   #20
DavidG

And therefore of no value in answering your questions, although what you have provided regarding the shape of the rear end of your torque tube tells us that it was not built late in the '32 model year.

Much of what separates a '32 engine compartment from those of the model years that follow likely has been lost with its engine likely having been replaced with what was evidently a rebuilt '34 engine.

The number on the frame at or slightly in front of the foot of the left side of the firewall may well have been changed, but perhaps not, so that's the next place to look for its original engine number (VIN). With that number we can tell when the car's original engine was produced. No records survive as to when and where the cars were assembled, but the engine production date is at least a starting point.

Some, but not even most, Ford-built bodies such as Tudor sedans, had a body number stamped on the first steel cross sill in the floor along with an assembly plant code such as TC for Twin Cities, Minnesota, for example. More '32 Tudor sedans were produced and likely survive than any other '32 body type by a wide margin.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote