Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
abbie

Default changing rearend grease

What have you found is the best way to get the old grease out of the rear end? I realize you can not get it all. thank you.
abbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Hill ironworks

Default Re: changing rearend grease

I like kerosene.
Hill ironworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
yachtsmanbill

And a heat gun/heat lamp/propane torch. Make the 600W nice and warm and either suck it out or break the case bolts and let it drip all day. Me?? Id drill and tap a 1/8 npt pipe plug in the bottom. ws
Old 10-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
redmodelt

Drill and tap for an 1/8 brass allen head pipe plug on the bottom. I drilled both units I have done on the passenger side. It can be mess, so be prepared. Most any of the bits will be trapped in the oil and drain out. After it drains put the new drain plug in, jack her up, fill with kerosene or diesel and run at slow speed. Drain and repeat. Set her back down and drain (over night would be best) and refill with you choice of rear end fluids. After done I would use a magnetic fill plug, not so much for the few bits from drilling but you might be surprised what turns up. The last rear end I did this too, the amount of metal, not babbett, far out weight the little I made from the new hole, that rear end will be my next rebuild. Don't go overboard when drilling, just enough to break the inside surface.
Or you can dilute the fluid that is in there now with kerosene or diesel jack it up and run it, then suck it out but be aware that the suction guns that you buy now, the tube is too big and the suction is too low to do a good job. It will work but they only seem to suck out a 1/4 cup per pull.

Last edited by redmodelt; 10-06-2013 at 12:32 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote