Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2023, 04:42 PM   #1
cjshaker

Default '37 Coupe wiring replacements

I'm sure you guys have dealt with the brittleness of the old wiring in these cars. I have several boxes of NOS wiring for my '37 Coupe, but 60-70 years on the shelf leads to the same problem....it's brittle.

I don't like and don't want to use the generic wiring kits for 'street rods', I like the look of the original fabric covered stuff. I just looks "right", and the modern wiring doesn't.

So there's a guy I found on Ebay (vintagefordparts) that sells reproduction wiring for my car, and it has new wire that is covered in the old fabric covering. It looks very nice and correct. Have any of you guys used something similar? Maybe it's available other places, this is just what I've found so far.

Here are a couple examples...

Dash: https://www.ebay.com/itm/190698844904
Headlight: https://www.ebay.com/itm/171781732200

I know eventually it'll have the same issues, but I figure I'll be dead by the time that happens

And if anyone has other alternatives to get the correct look, I'm open to suggestions. I'm also open to talking points about the shortcomings of the factory wiring. I want to do this once....and do it right.
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 04:57 PM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: '37 Coupe wiring replacements

Authentic wiring is readily available. Much of it comes from Bauer Electronics.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:03 PM   #3
Zeke3

Attached is the link to a recent discussion about sources for wiring harnesses for our early Fords. I found post #33 especially helpful since it came from one of our trusted vendors.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ghlight=wiring

I would want to make some modifications to the stock wiring harness for a 1937 to add turn signals both front and rear and add a ground wire for each headlamp assembly. I am sure the harness suppliers have already considered these modifications and maybe some others. I have not spoken to anyone about harnesses yet.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:27 PM   #4
cjshaker

Thanks for that thread link. Not sure how I missed it since I've been following for a few months here now.

I absolutely will do the turn signal thing. I have the ones for the rear, but not sure what to do on the front yet. While I've got some experience with '50s cars, and plenty with '60s, these '30s cars are a bit new to me. And yes, I had already planned on adding grounds to just about everything I can. That's the main issues on just about all older cars.

I apologize for asking a question that has been covered. I tried doing some searching and reading, but didn't come up with anything like that link, and there are so many rabbit holes when searching that it seems difficult to find out the real jist of what you're after.

Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:36 PM   #5
37don

I rewired my 37 deluxe touring sdn several yrs ago and used ri wiring in West Kingston RI. I had turn signals fog lights and wires for both head temp sending units and a wire for electric fuel pump. They supplied me with separate diagrams for added wires. They Make a high quality product all connectors soldered. Good luck, 37Don
37don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:01 PM   #6
ford38v8

CJ, Have them include an additional wire in the harness to power a set of relays up front for your headlights. This single mod will make a noticeable difference in brightness, as your dimmer switch draws down your voltage.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:13 PM   #7
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
CJ, Have them include an additional wire in the harness to power a set of relays up front for your headlights. This single mod will make a noticeable difference in brightness, as your dimmer switch draws down your voltage.

Thanks for that tip! That is exactly the sort of stuff I need to find out before I realize it too late. I had considered moving to 12 volts, just for the lighting. I think it's a good idea to lighten the load on the heavy draw circuits anyway, since increased voltage equals less current draw. I can drop the voltage to all the other stuff. I'm going to have to figure all this stuff out before ordering though. It's nice to know that the company mentioned can add wires where needed. That is a fantastic thing!
Old 01-23-2023, 08:19 PM   #8
cjshaker

Thought I'd throw a picture into the mix. I drug it out of a 60 year storage last year. It's all original and I have the rest of the front end parts. They were taken off to save space in the garage. I just threw the fenders and hood on to move it to my house.