Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #81
mrtexas

Default Re: Harbor Freight Tools vs. China Bashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
The world's highest corporate tax rate (going to 39%) makes new manufacturing in the USA absurd. The high corporate tax rate is driving existing manufacturing overseas.
Yup and corporations have never paid a dime in taxes. It is added to the cost of goods and just makes American goods cost more. The consumer pays all. Politicians love to have people believe corporations pay tax.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #82
rocket1

I have many Harbor Freight tools,20 ton press,drill press,grinders,inline sander, sockets etc; no problems ever,price is right.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #83
ronn

at my last place of employment, we bought regularly at Grainger
their prices were easily double that of HD, Lowes, Sears, etc.

if you shop there regularly, money obviously has no meaning to you............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #84
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
I have many Harbor Freight tools,20 ton press,drill press,grinders,inline sander, sockets etc; no problems ever,price is right.
CONFESSIONAL time !
Yeah, I do shop at HB occasionally and am happy that there is a store close by. For example, yesterday, I needed an engine holder for my B block and for the recently purchased A/B engine holder/adaptor from Snyders.
So , off to Harbor Freight to examine equipment....that I may only use once !! Anyway, I found a 750 lb capacity engine stand for the whopping huge sum of ..........$46 USA..wait, I've also got a 20% off coupon AND a FREE headlamp.....AND the guy loaned me a cart to take the loot to my truck and offered to put it in my truck...whooa ALMOST embarrassed me and felt like getting away with ...good deal

BTW I also have a Grainger store real close by. My better half, bought me a 1 hp air compressor there almost 15 yrs ago. Yeah, I know, they say...'don't sell to public', but she is very persuasive and told of my birthday in a few days. I have used that poor one horse to sandblast the ugly duck from head to toe...and it keeps on working !! I'm saying it was made in America, to honestly to old to remember...for sure.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #85
Model A Man

How are there cabinet sand blasters? What is a good size?
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #86
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
How are there cabinet sand blasters? What is a good size?
Yeah, salivated on a couple models, but there are few considerations before buying, that are not apparent ..until late !
For example, where to put/store, as large equipment. Do have large enough or any compressor ? Do have safety equipment,etc...on/on.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #87
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
at my last place of employment, we bought regularly at Grainger
their prices were easily double that of HD, Lowes, Sears, etc.

if you shop there regularly, money obviously has no meaning to you............
do you think they might have a sliding scale depending on who the customer is?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:21 AM   #88
willowbilly3

I have bought HF stuff that I am pleased with. I have a bead roller I have used for years, but we all knew we would have to weld a stiffener on when we got them. Also my trailer winch is an aging Chicago Electric and has served me well. I don't abuse it and generally use a snatch block if it's an old truck with flat tires. Just 2 days ago I pulled the trigger on their Badlands 12,000 pounder with wireless remote.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #89
Bertha

My 1500lb Wench from Chicago gave up the first time I pushed the button. Smoked for 10min with the snow blower hanging 3' in the air...at least the cable held.

Bob
Old 10-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #90
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Harbor freight tools are throw away tools. If one has never used a grinder and after the job is done never will use one again, a 12 dollar tool with a replacement warranty is a great deal, use it throw it away. Compared to a several hundred dollar grinder that will just sit in a box until your heirs get rid of it.

The parts that will be used and seen for many years in you A, should be of good quality that will last as long as the car.

I see a big big difference.
Good common sense Mike !
You don't buy junk for commercial use and you don't buy commercial for a one timer !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #91
Joe K

Quote:
Politicians love to have people believe corporations pay tax.
It's called "fostering a sense of aggrievement" - a modus that education and media have been complicit in since the New Deal.

"Useful idiots" comes to mind.

If one can picture someone else as "advantaged", either by virtue their financial status, immunity from law, connection to the lawmakers, or simply by emphasis on size, then that picture can be used to manipulate a voter - and sway an election.

Certain political sects - no - ALL political sects do this regularly. Some more effectively than others.

Hence the tax structure of the US which is pictured generally as holding back the advantaged, but discourages internal investment/development and encourages investment overseas - all resultant from perceived aggrievement. And results in Harbor Freight being the Sears Roebuck of the 21st century - instead of Sears Roebuck themselves who can't even sell a decent lawnmower anymore.

But we're all citizens of the world now.

Sheesh.

I wonder what exactly my children will do for a living. NOT make things, that I can guarantee.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 10-30-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #92
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertha View Post
My 1500lb Wench from Chicago gave up the first time I pushed the button. Smoked for 10min with the snow blower hanging 3' in the air...at least the cable held.

Bob
I like a guy who looks on the bright side.

BTW, my brother bought a cigarette lighter air compressor for his bike tires, and it also went up in smoke the first time he tried to use it.

It's fun to zap flies with their electronic fly swatters.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #93
Tinker

I was there just a few days ago to get some casters to make a couple engine roll carts.

A 20ft extension cord for $5. Wow that's a good deal... till I noticed it was rated for 10amp. and was 16g wire.

On the blast cab. The reviews are the lighting is poor and it leaks. I can tell you both are a fair assessment. The free one I have I still need to seal the cab and then add some lighting. Reason for the engine carts is to make room for the cab in the garage. They do take up some room....
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #94
willowbilly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertha View Post

Bob
1500# doesn't mean it can dead lift 1500#, it means it can roll 1500# up a 30 degree incline. Dead lift would only be a small fraction of 1500, obviously less than you asked of it.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #95
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
On the blast cab. The reviews are the lighting is poor and it leaks. I can tell you both are a fair assessment. The free one I have I still need to seal the cab and then add some lighting. Reason for the engine carts is to make room for the cab in the garage. They do take up some room....
I have bought the smaller (cheaper) of the blast cabs - not yet set up. But I can understand the leaking aspect.

Leakage of a blast cab is ENTIRELY a function of the vacuum cleaner connected to it. If you use a blast cab without a vacuum aspect - you deserve what you get to clean up around the cab. For me it will be interesting to see if a Sears CRaftsman 5 hp 16 gallon shop vac (their largest currently) is enough to keep the dusting down.

As to the lighting - I saw that in the reviews. Shouldn't be a challenge to improve. Also IMHO, the view glass is entirely too large (read more expensive to replace the glass part when the glass gets frosted - one wants to "double layer" this with safety glass nearer the operator and common glass next to the blast)

Buy a pair of electricians gauntlet gloves to wear OVER the gloves in the cabinet. Object being to put abrasive wear on parts more easily replaced.

I hate it when you blow a hole through the thumb as these are wont to do. And I'm sure the HF gloves as they come are, er, minimal.

Joe K
Old 10-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #96
Bertha

Sorry... my 1500lb Wench actually calls herself a 500lb horst.

My bad....
Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #97
Tinker

This one has a vac and hook up. But the medium just drops out the bottom of the cab through a seam. Thinking seam sealer on all the edges to prevent it. Good idea about the gloves. There are velcro screen protectors that are to protect the glass from being frosted. Kind of like dirt roundy-roundy helmet visors tear aways.

For me it's a project that is back burner'ed at this time.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #98
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
[COLOR=black]

It's fun to zap flies with their electronic fly swatters.
i just got a coupon for a free one!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #99
montanafordman

Harbor freight fills a niche that's for sure. There are some gems there but for hand tools I like to buy U.S. made quality myself. That doesn't mean just because its U.S. made its quality and some of the stuff made in Taiwan for HF isn't actually pretty good, especially for the price! I take pride in many of the tools I buy though and some of that comes from knowing someone here built it. I'm a huge SK tools fan and also have some proto tools (many of which I inherited) and some U.S. made craftsman and a smattering of Snap-on. Sure in some peoples eyes I paid stupid money for some of my Snap-on and SK sockets and ratchets but I bought them for life and enjoy using them and keep dollars on our shore that way. Each to his own.

As for the blasting cabinet discussion:
This is one tool that has been on my bucket list to buy for quite a while. I probably won't be buying one too soon but when I do I think I'll spend some more money for a U.S. made cabinet that seals better, has better lighting, and a better gun and all around setup.

The HF cabinet is a decent value as long as you are aware of the limitations and potential upgrades you can do to it. I got an education learning about dust separators, vacuum setups and regulators that are basically an essential component of a good blasting cabinet setup which are not included with the HF blasting cabinet. Fordbarn's sister website garagejournal.com has an excellent thread about how to upgrade a HF cabinet and highlights where some of the value lies and the limitations of the HF cabinet. After reading the thread and looking at some of the links provided I think when the time comes I'll spend more and buy a better quality starting point that is U.S. made but my mind could change on that subject too but that's where my thinking is right now. Here is a link to that article: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...last&showall=1

Last edited by montanafordman; 10-30-2014 at 11:25 AM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #100
hardtimes

BOY ! bitch/bitch/BITCH... Don't you just get SICK of the woooh is me poeboy blue haired bs , regarding 'one time use' tool bs ! So, what ever happened to good ole yankee engine nuity..huh ? You'd think that you had to 'walk 10 mile thru knee deep snow/rain, then pay huge $..and then walk home with wet freezing feet...for onetime use ! Get up, get out and make something

NOT being able to afford the HB blaster and/or the engine holder, years ago set up a blaster and made an A/B engine holder. The blaster takes advantage to the best available lighting tech and recycling advantages ! Ok, MAYBE leaks a bit. But, hey this panhard clay ground needs amendment and lots of it ! Then the engine holder is recycled cast of wood from wasteful neighbors constant throwaway stuff and includes the latest antique bed casters..which admittedly are a little small...but FREE,eh !

Ok, let the nugatory comments begin ...about how you have no time or talent to make such good stuff, etc...ad noseum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (68.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (67.6 KB, 38 views)