Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 AM   #1
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Detriot & Dearborn

Dearborn was considered a burb of Detroit, I understand that all engines were produced in Dearborn and I understand the Ford Motor Company was headquartered in Dearborn. When did the Ford Motor Company have anything to do with Detroit? of did they?

Cheers.............

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
31 Model A

Default Re: Detriot & Dearborn

To our one star bandits......................

Legit question, I would think for the more educated which is everyone except you!!!!

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers

Last edited by 31 Model A; 06-29-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
GordonJ

Not sure what the nature of your question is, but a few details about Ford early history [others can fill in as appropriate]. The first Ford Motor Company plant was in a rented building on Mack Ave. in Detroit. This is where the first Model A (1903) was made. The first Ford owned building was on Piquette Avenue - also in Detroit. It was built in 1904 and they moved to the new and very large Highland Park Assembly plant in 1910. The first Model T's were made at the Piquette plant, but Highland Park produced the next 15 million Model T's. Geographically, the city of Highland Park is completely surrounded by the city of Detroit. In 1927, production of the new Ford vehicle, the second Model A, was started at the huge Rouge facility in Dearborn. All of the Model A engines were produced at the Rouge engine plant and shipped to the other various assembly plants.

Why did Ford end up in Dearborn? Dearborn is still a suburb of Detroit and it is also the birthplace of Henry Ford. He grew up on a farm about a mile from Ford's current World Headquarters. Initially, Dearborn was "way out in the country" and Ford bought substantial parcels of property within the city limits as his company began to make money. His Fairlane Mansion was also located in Dearborn, so it was natural that the center of the company moved to this area.

Ford, like GM and Chrysler, has always been involved in the life and activities of Detroit. Although there are numerous suburb cities around Detroit, most people [and companies] identify themselves as being from Detroit and not from Dearborn, Ann Arbor, Westland, Novi, Troy, etc.
GordonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Not sure what the nature of your question is, but a few details about Ford early history [others can fill in as appropriate]. The first Ford Motor Company plant was in a rented building on Mack Ave. in Detroit. This is where the first Model A (1903) was made. The first Ford owned building was on Piquette Avenue - also in Detroit. It was built in 1904 and they moved to the new and very large Highland Park Assembly plant in 1910. The first Model T's were made at the Piquette plant, but Highland Park produced the next 15 million Model T's. Geographically, the city of Highland Park is completely surrounded by the city of Detroit. In 1927, production of the new Ford vehicle, the second Model A, was started at the huge Rouge facility in Dearborn. All of the Model A engines were produced at the Rouge engine plant and shipped to the other various assembly plants.

Why did Ford end up in Dearborn? Dearborn is still a suburb of Detroit and it is also the birthplace of Henry Ford. He grew up on a farm about a mile from Ford's current World Headquarters. Initially, Dearborn was "way out in the country" and Ford bought substantial parcels of property within the city limits as his company began to make money. His Fairlane Mansion was also located in Dearborn, so it was natural that the center of the company moved to this area.

Ford, like GM and Chrysler, has always been involved in the life and activities of Detroit. Although there are numerous suburb cities around Detroit, most people [and companies] identify themselves as being from Detroit and not from Dearborn, Ann Arbor, Westland, Novi, Troy, etc.
A comprehensive well versed answer I must say. You know your stuff! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
31 Model A

Quote:

Thank you Gordon.....what would be correct by 1931, Ford Motor Company Detroit or Dearborn?

Old 06-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
31 Model A

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a show display sign for Sarah giving pertinent information but to a minimal.

Not knowing when or where Sarah was assembled, I do know her engine was assembled in March 1931.

On the bottom line I had printed:

Detroit March 1931

I didn't mention that date was for the engine or the car. I'm a stickler for facts and if I have to I can cut that line off.

That's the reason for my question, by 1931, was it:

Detroit March 1931 or Dearborn March 1931

Old 06-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a show display sign for Sarah giving pertinent information but to a minimal.

Not knowing when or where Sarah was assembled, I do know her engine was assembled in March 1931.

Detroit March 1931

I didn't mention that date was for the engine or the car. I'm a stickler for facts and if I have to I can cut that line off.

Nobody will care but you and besides that they are beside one another ! Wayne
Old 06-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
jimalabam

Pluck, where are you ??? Ok, I will stop lurking, and answer your question 31 Model A. In 1931 the Ford Assembly Plant was named THE ROUGE and in Dearborn, today in 2016, the Ford Assembly Plant is named DEARBORN ASEMBLY, and is still in Dearborn. Best to you, it is your car and the sign does not specify that the car was built at Dearborn, but since you have not discovered the Plant # on your frame, who would know ???
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/Alabam View Post
Pluck, where are you ??? Ok, I will stop lurking, and answer your question 31 Model A. In 1931 the Ford Assembly Plant was named THE ROUGE and in Dearborn, today in 2016, the Ford Assembly Plant is named DEARBORN ASEMBLY, and is still in Dearborn. Best to you, it is your car and the sign does not specify that the car was built at Dearborn, but since you have not discovered the Plant # on your frame, who would know ???

Thanks Jim, the signage is arriving tomorrow. I'll decide what to do then. Knowing the sign says 'Detroit' when it should be "Dearborn' will play on my mind. I know it will, I know myself.

Cheers..........

Old 06-30-2016, 04:04 AM   #10
Brad in Germany

Quote:
... All of the Model A engines were produced at the Rouge engine plant and shipped to the other various assembly plants....
Not true. Model A engines were also produced in Germany. ...other countries as well?

Fordially,
Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #11
GordonJ

True statement, Brad. I was looking at it from a North American perspective. I believe that engines were also produced in Dagenham [U.K.], but I am not 100% sure. Perhaps one of our U.K. members can comment.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #12
GordonJ

Quote:

Detroit March 1931

I would say that since the engines, and potentially your car, were produced at the Rouge in 1931, it would be "Dearborn 1931". But the bigger question is where were the Ford corporate offices in 1931? I don't have that information readily available. One of my vague Ford history recollections is that when Ford bought the Lincoln Motor Car company in the early 1920's, those offices eventually became the Ford corporate offices until World Headquarters was built in the mid 1950's. If that is a true statement, the Lincoln offices were on Schaefer Blvd. in Dearborn which might make it qualify as a Dearborn company.

Now for another bit of confusion to the early history, Henry Ford's office was in the Ford Engineering Lab on Oakwood Blvd [next to Greenfield Village].

As you might be able to tell, I find great interest in early Ford history...
Old 06-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
31 Model A

Quote:
I would say that since the engines, and potentially your car, were produced at the Rouge in 1931, it would be "Dearborn 1931". But the bigger question is where were the Ford corporate offices in 1931? I don't have that information readily available. One of my vague Ford history recollections is that when Ford bought the Lincoln Motor Car company in the early 1920's, those offices eventually became the Ford corporate offices until World Headquarters was built in the mid 1950's. If that is a true statement, the Lincoln offices were on Schaefer Blvd. in Dearborn which might make it qualify as a Dearborn company.

Now for another bit of confusion to the early history, Henry Ford's office was in the Ford Engineering Lab on Oakwood Blvd [next to Greenfield Village].

As you might be able to tell, I find great interest in early Ford history...
I kinda realized that I had made that mistake but it was too late to change, it had already gone to printing. I thought there would have been a slight chance that Detroit was correct but......I was wrong. I'll probably cut off the bottom line now and start again throwing pennies in a jar for another, more correct, one.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #14
Y-Blockhead

I don't know about cutting off the sign. I'm sure most people looking at the sign wouldn't know the difference.

But like you it would bug me. I've been told I'm anal retentive. My wife just tells me to quit being so Anal...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #15
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post

But like you it would bug me.
Exactly!!! The sign says 1931 Model A Ford Coupe Deluxe, if anyone ask when in1931, I answer, the engine was assembled in Dearborn in March 1931 but I do not know when and where the car was assembled because it wasn't given a body number that would tell me where and approx. when it was entirely assembled.
When is does come to facts in this case, I won't bullshit the questioner, makes one look bad.....IMO.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #16
31 Model A

Well!!! I can't cut it off, the top and bottom proportions would be too off. Either I have it remade or go with Detroit.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #17
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Well!!! I can't cut it off, the top and bottom proportions would be too off. Either I have it remade or go with Detroit.
Don't lose sleep over if as if is no big deal! Wayne
Old 06-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

Use whiteout and type in the right word.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #19
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Use whiteout and type in the right word.

I wish it was that simple Tom............I ordered a correct one a few minutes ago.

Replaced 'Detroit March 1931" and just put Dearborn Michigan

I told myself, I said, self, keep it simple!!!!

Old 07-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #20
GordonJ

Actually, Ford was a Delaware Company by 1931. From the Ford Website - "In 1919, Henry Ford bought out all of these investors and reincorporated the company in the State of Delaware."

But I wouldn't put that on the sign...