Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
firechief5215

Default Early 28 orignal light switch help

I have 4 pictures of our light switch that came off our early 28 (FEBURARY) fire truck, Some time ago this setup was taking off and they rigged up a different setup. I have been able to come up with these parts but I am not sure if I am missing anything . I have the original doomed cap also that is not in the picture , I laid them out the way I think they should go but I am not sure, Also it has a plastic flat disc I believe was made a lot later to strength the disc that has been repaired.Shoud there be some type of spring in this like the later style. Please help us with any information and pictures you can help us with also Is there any parts available for this and is there anyone who makes the correct wiring harness for this fire truck Sorry for a long post but im trying to give as much info as I can
Thank you for all your Help Billy

Last edited by firechief5215; 07-23-2016 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added to
firechief5215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:59 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Early 28 orignal light switch help

Maybe you can get some useful info from this link like some contact info of people that might be able to help.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42653
Old 07-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Joe K

Default Re: Early 28 orignal light switch help

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This one the VERY early "open bail" light switch.

Has four switch contacts set up in a "square" - AND a special switch plate/wiring harness to match (although an original switch plate can be "rewired" with harness wires to bring it back into functionality - about the only way out for those needful of parts.)

It had issues with shorting out when wet stuff from the road got packed in above the open bail.

Due to this replaced somewhere in the 1928s with a "closed cover" type switch which includes the 4 finger contact - and a similar matching challenge to the wiring harness. My March 1929 Truck has this along with Type H (fluted) headlights. Henry was wont to "use up" obsoleted parts in the truck line when he could.

Replaced in early 1929 when the "Twolight" headlights came out to include a THREE finger switch and corresponding switchplate/wiring harness - THIS is what is available now from the parts dealers, either as a poor quality switch or varying quality wiring harnesses. (The best wiring harness come from A&L - or used to.)

Hope this quick overview helps along with the link above.

Any of the early four finger parts are considered scarce and hence "collectable." But the open bail switches especially so. Particularly that three position marked steering wheel center switch/horn button.

Joe K