Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
bobpo1

Default H2O vs. Pre-Mix...???

It's time for me to get the coolant in the Coupe. I know this has been kicked around before, but I don't recall the conclusion if there is one.

Which is Best for Summer driving..?
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: H2O vs. Pre-Mix...???

In a properly working system anything that includes a rust preventive will work.

If are using antifreeze now why change just because the seasons changed?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
Ron/IA

Pre-mix will have distilled water in it, which is what you want to use when mixing your own.

The cost difference won't be that much if you have to buy distilled water. So it is up to you how much work you want to put into it.

As Mike stated, either one will work that has rust preventive in it. Its the quality of the water that makes the difference.

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
P.S.

50-50 mix is good if you live in a climate that gets freezing temps. You can run it year-round. However, if your block or head gasket allow coolant into the motor oil, you've got a serious problem.

It doesn't get below freezing where I live except for one or two months out of the year, but I still run 50-50 mix for the peace of mind. However, since I am going through break-in on a new rebuild right now (and re-torquing the head every 100 miles), I am running distilled water with a little soluble oil in it. Just enough oil so the water begins to look a little milky, that's all you need. After the head re-torquing phase is complete, will be switching to 50-50 mix again.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

Antifreeze leaks in places that water doesn't. Water cools much better than antifreeze. Antifreeze has a higher boiling point. I can't see how a higher boiling point helps with an unpressurized system. If the temperture is high enough, the engine will be running hot whether its boiling or not. Model A's shouldn't be compaired to modern cars with pressurized cooling systems that are designed to operate at higher temperatures. Model A's only have 14 head studs. That is even less than the tiny 60 horse flathead V8 engine had on one side (17). The model A head has been shown to teeter on the block as the engine runs. Blown head gaskets and gasket filler weeping on the left side is very common. Antifreeze only compounds all of these problems. If antifreeze enters the crankcase its good bye babbitt bearings!!!!!!! Model A's mark their territory with coolant out the overflow pipe after the engine is shut down and temps increase. If pets drink the coolant, it kills them. It killed my chow named chewy. If you want to use distilled water, it can't hurt anything but your pocket book and not that much. I've used mostly tap water for 54 years with no ill effects I do use waterpump lubricant mostly to quiet the water pump. Water pump lubricant also hinders cooling but not enough for concern if too much isn't used. Antifreeze is only good to prevent freezing with the model A. The probable side effects of antifreeze out weigh any benefit of running antifreeze in the model A for year round use. If I lived where it was a danger of freezing for most of the year, I might run antifreeze year round. The winters are mild here in south west Alabama. Just my thoughts and reasons why.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
mshmodela

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
On the subject, it was 70F yesterday, today 31F and 2" thus far of snow As a new owner, I'm going to flush my radiator in mid May and try distilled water with water weeter... I figure since I'm new to any model A and this one, I'll drop the coolant in August to see the difference.... I suppose, no matter what you use to cool, keeping a close eye on it is best...

Mike
Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Patrick L.

In the old cars I prefer distilled water and a heftily dose of 'anti-fur' [rust] inhibitor. I never did figure out where that term came from.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
Mikeinnj

I ran a 50/50 mix of Prestone and distilled water, year round for 28 years and never had a problem.

Anyone remember this stuff ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12697.jpg (39.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12695.jpg (65.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 04-15-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
leo

Before antifreeze didn't they use alcohol to prevent freezing? If so did that leak in places that water would not?
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

50/50
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Before antifreeze didn't they use alcohol to prevent freezing? If so did that leak in places that water would not?
My Dad use to tell me that even kerosene was used as a coolant in the colder parts of the country when nothing else was available.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
ford3

two things, 1-if water is getting into the crank case it doesnt make much difference if it has anti freeze in it or not, you have major problem, 2- anti freeze has an anti rust properties and water pump lube in it, ive heard all the reasons for not using anti freeze, most were mentioned in this post, ive also seen the damage done to engines with out it from freezing in the winter months, if you have a coolent leak, dont blame the anti freeze, find and fix the problem, probably warped head or engine deck not straight, and improper installation of the head gasket, not knowing how to torque , improper torque value, improper torque sequence or not retorquing often enough, so dont put all the blame on the anti freeze
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
redmodelt

Anti freeze destroying the Babbitt and more prone to leaking is bunk along with using just distilled water.
Distilled water will leach metal and minerals from the block till it reaches a PH balance point. Save the distilled water from for the battery and use good filtered water.
Too much straight water in the in the crankcase or anti freeze will do the same thing, wash the oil out of the bearings. There have been test done soaking Babbett bearings in straight anti freeze and no damage done to the Babbett. The only reason you think anti freeze is more prone to leaking is because it's colored and you can see it, water leaks form the same places but evaporates before you see it.
I run 50/50 all year for cooling in the summer and freezing in the winter and water jacket protection all year.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #14
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Anti freeze destroying the Babbitt and more prone to leaking is bunk along with using just distilled water.
Distilled water will leach metal and minerals from the block till it reaches a PH balance point. Save the distilled water from for the battery and use good filtered water.
Too much straight water in the in the crankcase or anti freeze will do the same thing, wash the oil out of the bearings. There have been test done soaking Babbett bearings in straight anti freeze and no damage done to the Babbett. The only reason you think anti freeze is more prone to leaking is because it's colored and you can see it, water leaks form the same places but evaporates before you see it.
I run 50/50 all year for cooling in the summer and freezing in the winter and water jacket protection all year.
That's all true, but people don't listen - "Pure" water is the best solvent ever - it dissolves anything! We have Reverse Osmosis units from our Dialysis units here, and the pure water output from them will dissolve metals like you wouldn't believe!

The more pure water is, the more "empty" is is, and water doesn't stay empty - it WILL dissolve something, until it's no longer empty.

50/50 coolant and tap water (we have very good water here) is all I use, have done in a LOT of cars, for years.
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #15
billy myers

I agree with Purdy 100%
billy myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #16
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanw View Post
That's all true, but people don't listen - "Pure" water is the best solvent ever - it dissolves anything! We have Reverse Osmosis units from our Dialysis units here, and the pure water output from them will dissolve metals like you wouldn't believe!

The more pure water is, the more "empty" is is, and water doesn't stay empty - it WILL dissolve something, until it's no longer empty.

50/50 coolant and tap water (we have very good water here) is all I use, have done in a LOT of cars, for years.
Yup water dissolves any polar compound, however won't dissolve non-polar like hydrocarbons!
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #17
FL&WVMIKE

Why pay the big companies to "MIX" your antifreeze for you ? That's just a marketing scheme to get more of your money. Mix your own.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
Why pay the big companies to "MIX" your antifreeze for you ? That's just a marketing scheme to get more of your money. Mix your own.
MIKE (mikeburch)
its actually cheaper to buy it premixed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-16-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
To tell the thruth, I have not priced it.
For 50-50 mix to be cheaper, TWO mixed-gallons of it would have to be cheaper than ONE gallon of non-mixed, to get the same amount of antifreeze.
Am I missing something ?
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #20
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Look again & do the math:

1 gallon of 50/50 premix for $14. 1 gallon straight for $16, which will make 2 gallons of 50/50 which brings the price down to $8/gallon
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote