Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
bambooboy

Default insurance

needed insurance for 29 ccpu,search the barn,usual names taylor,&afew others.my trk will be driven less than 100 mile in a year.most of their info says shows,parades&such.i'll be hauling a few bales of hay for the mini"s once a month.called my auto ins co(usaa) must be a veteran.they have a subsidiary(American collectors ins)that says right up front,may be used for hobby activites&pleasure drives. no general transportation as most of them say.also says only under 7500 mile option is occasional use acceptable. $142.45 for liability,comp,collision,towing&labor for collectors.pulled debit card out of wallet. just for general info on D-day (born 14 days before) tom in md
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: insurance

So, it will cost about 15 cents a mile for gas and $1.50 a mile for insurance.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
ronn

and your pu is insured for how much? that is the costliest part........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Bruce Adams

I use USAA for the house and modern cars and Hagerty for antiquess due to American Collectors restrictions.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Dick Carne

My recommendation would be stay as far away as possible from J.C. Taylor - great at collecting premiums - terrible at paying claims.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
I use USAA for the house and modern cars and Hagerty for antiquess due to American Collectors restrictions.
Hagerty has restrictions does it not? I thought the employee that drove his a as a daily driver for a year had to change insurance companies?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #7
P.S.

I have USAA insurance also. However, the Model A is insured through Hagerty. The USAA option is through a separate company not connected to USAA anyway, and they DO have restrictions on how the Model A can be used. Want to drive the Model A to the store or take the wife out to dinner? Hagerty - Yes. USAA - No.

Hagerty DOES allow pleasure use with few restrictions. Call and ask for specific details.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
KGBnut

I love USAA. I do almost everything through them. However, for my Model A, I got a better deal through Hagerty's.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
bambooboy

ronn,trk insured for $12,000.the reason i posted is hagerty,grundy,taylor at first look has restrictions for causal use.(i could be wrong on that) amer collectors,which is a subsidary of usaa recommended by usaa right up front says ok to pleasure rides.insurance is complicated&may be some fine print that i missed--tom
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
peters180a/170b

I have had Hagerty for 5 years now for my 180A and soon with my 35 coupe. They have different levels of insurance depending on what your needs are. I have insurance for my 180a from the trailer to the Show Field and back for now. The Chevy will have a drivers level and not a show car . I think for the 180a the restriction on the next level will be 2000 miles or less per year, or something like that. I''ll plan on speaking with them at Hershey this year. VERY FRIENDLY GROUP.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
1967 Ford

Liability insurance is good to have. I have a broadform policy for that. (any car I drive) None of my 14 cars (modern or antique) have any specific insurance.
I am 56 and have NEVER (other than health insurance) had a single claim for any kind of insurance (automobile/homeowners/boat etc). Lots of free money for the insurance companies. If you can afford it -self insure. Particularily if your vehicles are in a secure garage and get very little use. I do have homeowners, but for cars I could take a 10K hit and the money I have saved on not having collision/theft insurance over the years more than covers it.
1967 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
redmodelt

I have my T through Farmers, mine sounds about the same as the first one.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
fritznbud

Be careful if you get hagerty. I live in the NW corner of S.C. and their nearest dispatch for roadside svc. is Elberton, GA., just a couple hours away from me. My '55 Chevy was broadsided by my neighbor and the Hag couldn't have handled it worse. I almost lost my license over their ineptness, they didn't send info to the state or ever returned a phone call to me. You don't know what you got 'till you need it and these guys are to be avoided.
fritznbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
holdover

I like many have USAA for my newer vehicles, but have Hagerty for my '29 coupe and '82 jeep CJ7. I put 12K value on the A and 7K on the CJ , maxed out their lib. 0 ded on coll & comp. $270 yr. As to towing I have AAA and never far from a friend with a rollback, plus have two trailers of my own, and a son who can come fetch his mom and dad...
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #15
BlueSunoco

I have Hagerty on the Model A and Grundy for the other old cars. Never had any issues of course never had a claim either!!

Grundy was a few bucks cheaper, not enough to be a deal killer though. Like Hagerty too.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote