Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #21
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: H2O vs. Pre-Mix...???

[QUOTE=Mikeinnj;859735]I ran a 50/50 mix of Prestone and distilled water, year round for 28 years and never had a problem.

Anyone remember this stuff ? [/QUOTE

Do you remember these ? Me either.
MIKE (mikeburch)
CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE - Twice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORDAntifreeze.jpg (87.2 KB, 17 views)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #22
Purdy Swoft

When I used the coupe as a daily driver in winter , I used one gallon of antifreeze with two gallons of water. They didn't have 50/50 mix back then. The 50/50 mix would be better to use to top off the radiator when low but would be a way stronger mix than I ever used here. Whether antifreeze or plain water is used with an unpressurized system it is necessary to monitor and add either as needed. Unpressurized cooling systems don't maintain coolant levels like pressurized systems on modern cars and mark their territory when the engine is shut down and temps increase. If icoolant doesn't exit via the overflow tube it will be lost as steam or otherwise. Coolant or water will have to be monitored and added as necessary, not so with modern vehicles with pressurized cooling systems. Its just common sense !!!!!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #23
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Anti freeze destroying the Babbitt and more prone to leaking is bunk along with using just distilled water.
Distilled water will leach metal and minerals from the block till it reaches a PH balance point. Save the distilled water from for the battery and use good filtered water.
Too much straight water in the in the crankcase or anti freeze will do the same thing, wash the oil out of the bearings. There have been test done soaking Babbett bearings in straight anti freeze and no damage done to the Babbett. The only reason you think anti freeze is more prone to leaking is because it's colored and you can see it, water leaks form the same places but evaporates before you see it.
I run 50/50 all year for cooling in the summer and freezing in the winter and water jacket protection all year.
Soaking babbit in antifreeze is not the same as running the engine with antifreeze mixed with the oil in the crankcase. I agree that running the engine with either water or antifreeze in the crankcase is bad news, antifreeze is just worse. Antifreeze does leak much worse than water or water and water pump lubricant. The unpressurized model A cooling system really can't be compaired to the cooling system on modern cars. Many can't grasp the fact that there is a big difference in the model A and modern vehicles. We all have our own opinions whether right or wrong. A lifetime with model A's influences my opinion.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #24
1967 Ford

Regarding antifreeze being poison to animals....In many states including Washington, all new antifreeze sold must have a bittering agent added so it tastes bitter. Presumably this will keep pets from drinking it.
1967 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #25
ian Simpson

I have used self mixed (with the local tap water) 50/50 on two continents in both iron and aluminum blocks for over 40 years. The only problems I experienced were when using cheap anti-freeze which obviously did not have sufficient anti-rust components. Also, do not forget to change it frequently. The additives do not last forever.

Ian
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote