Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
pookie55

Default Is it a 31', 30' or 29' model A truck

My dilemma is the truck is not titled yet it was purchased from out of state
The truck body is a 31' bud steel roof cab.
A 30' chassis according to the VIN number on the frame
And a 29' engine according to the VIN number on the engine block..
Any advice on how this unit should be titled would be greatly appreciated.
pookie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Is it a 31', 30' or 29' model A truck

I wouldn't use the '29 VIN on the engine block as engines were changed often and the truck is obviously not a '29. I think I would go with the '31 as it has the steel roof and that is what everyone will be looking at. The state will probably but an ID tag on your door and frame so unless someone pulls the body and looks at the number on the frame there is no way to tell it is not a '31. Advice, call your local DMV and do it right, no short cuts. Title it before you do ANY work.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 01-15-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Charlie. It is a 31 by the cab.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I agree with Charlie. It is a 31 by the cab.
X3, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:47 AM   #5
SeaSlugs

In IL its by the frame that identifies a car...use a 78 truck frame as the base for a homeade car? its a 78 truck according to the state.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
Ed Saniewski

Depending on what state you live in, you might just use the frame # and call it a 31 pickup. As Charlie said, engines get changed out, but the frame stays the same.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
SSsssteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
In IL its by the frame that identifies a car...use a 78 truck frame as the base for a homeade car? its a 78 truck according to the state.
In the state of Washington, getting a title for an original looking old car not having a good VIN number, the year of car is based on what year, make, and body style the vehicle most closely represents. I assembled a 1928 model A roadster from a collection of parts. The state assigned it a new VIN number and licensed it as a 1928 Ford Model A with 2 doors.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:19 AM   #8
pookie55

Thanks for the reply I agree I definitely wanted to read a 31 I do live in Indiana so I'll have to find out from the DMV what the proper procedure is
Old 01-18-2017, 02:20 AM   #9
pookie55

Thanks to all who responded I greatly appreciate all the advice. Now if I can only figure out how to post pics I will add some good photos of the truck
Old 01-18-2017, 03:06 AM   #10
Synchro909

I see title problems come up here time after time. Thank goodness we don't have titles for cars!
Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
5window

What ever you do, don't spend a dime on it until you have it titled. Way too many stories about folks who did extensive modifications or restorations (depending on the board their posting on) and then couldn't get it titled. Along with that, save receipts and log expenses. At some point, somebody will want to know the value of your build-for insurance, for sales tax, for resale, etc. Best of luck
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #12
pookie55

Thanks for the advice
Tried downloading some pics of the truck hopefully it worked
Old 01-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
JBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie55 View Post
Thanks for the reply I agree I definitely wanted to read a 31 I do live in Indiana so I'll have to find out from the DMV what the proper procedure is
Things might have changed, but when I titled my '29 roadster several years ago in Indiana you couldn't get a title or plates until and unless the car was driveable. Be sure to check this out at your local branch of the DMV. In Indiana, you also now have to "declare" that any car with collector plates will not be used primarily for transportation, but is part of a hobby or is an investment.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #14
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I see title problems come up here time after time. Thank goodness we don't have titles for cars!
NO TITLES? What do you use for knowing who belongs to whom! :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #15
pookie55

Truck is driveable I've driven it multiple times with old plates on it. Mostly at holiday Fourth of July with grandkids.
I purchased the truck through an auction house. Auction company purchased multiple vehicles from a family after owner's death. After going through multiple titles none match the truck perfectly so auction house is willing to work with me to correct title problem.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Truck is driveable I've driven it multiple times with old plates on it. Mostly at holiday Fourth of July with grandkids.
I purchased the truck through an auction house. Auction company purchased multiple vehicles from a family after owner's death. After going through multiple titles none match the truck perfectly so auction house is willing to work with me to correct title problem.
You might want to brush up on the law. In some states it is illegal to sell a vehicle without a title. You might have more leverage than you realize. When you say "going through multiple titles" do you mean the auction company has a box of titles? Your DMV might be interested in that. Worst case you might end up shipping it back and, of course, having them pay the shipping. Since they may have done something illegal and shipped it across state lines I wonder if that becomes a Federal crime?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #17
SeaSlugs

Quote:
http://www.in.gov/bmv/3095.htm

time to call your DMV, if they are anything like IL prepare for a 6 hour day there, requesting of 1000 forms, your checkbook as everyone wants taxes, and any and all paperwork you got from the auction house.

I fear you may be opening up a can of worms.

Did the auction house find mates for all the other cars if they came from one family? was there one left over that was close enough to yours? its much easier to correct a title than it is to make one appear out of thin air.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #18
jm29henry

I would love to see more pics, I am sure it will all work out
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #19
pookie55

Our last conversation with auction house was, if I remember correctly (I have a title or bill of sales for the truck and he said he thinks the paperwork was for a 1930). Truck was auctioned and advertised as a 1930. My receipt for winning bid from auction house states its a 1930 Model A pickup truck. Once i explained to him over the phone many weeks later that the engine numbers did not match 1930 in fact were 1929 and the steel cab was definitely a 31. He then suggested I find the frame numbers so we could legally title it correctly. now i have proof the frame is a 1930.
At this point I don't think he has done anything scrupulous I myself have been dragging my feet with always working and not spending enough time in the garage to remove the body from chassis to find out until now, many months later.
I have called the auction house to give them the information and I'm waiting for a return call.
All should go well if not I will definitely be posting and taking matters further
Thanks again

Last edited by pookie55; 01-19-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:45 PM   #20
pookie55

Just an update. After speaking with the owner today at the auction house it is a bill of sale and he will title it with whatever #s I choose (is the way he put it) send me what information you have and I'll have a title for you in 6 weeks.
He assured me there will be no issue titling it a 30 or 31

My dilemma is if I use 1931 what numbers would I choose?
Can I use the stamped numbers that is on the cross member? Obviously this number dictates the assembly plant and rotation number it was built. If so I believe I can order a firewall tag to match. would that be legal? I think I do need to contact the DMV I just thought I would ask all the other model a guys there advice on what to do.