Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #21
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: E-Bay purchase-ever happen to you??

I think that Jeff/Illinois had a right to be P.O.d at the seller. The seller listed the S/H as $5.25. That is the exact price as the small, flat rate shipping box from the Post Office. When his $200.00 coin arrived in an envelope, I'm sure that he considered himself lucky that he got it at all !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #22
flatford39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
You really screwed the seller for no valid reason. You knew the S&H up front, and agreed to it by bidding. So later you changed your mind because the "H" part of S&H was the bulk of the fee and you want sympathy or support for your illogical decision? YOU had the option to send a message to the seller and ASK QUESTIONS before bidding, like "How will it be shipped?". You didn't. YOU SHOULD GET THE ROTTEN FEEDBACK, not the seller. If you have any conscience, you should retract your feedback.
I agree with you totally. You really need to educate yourself on the shippping & handling prior to bidding. The negative feedback should be retracted.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #23
Roadster62

I totally agree, the shipping and handling were stated in the auction we were told, the buyer should have read that and understood before bidding. eBay has really poor shipping rate estimates, far easier to state a flat shiping & handling rate to cover costs. Too bad the sell doesn't have the option any more to return a negative to the seller in question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in australia View Post
Why did you leave negative feedback? They declared the charges up front, so they weren't hiding them. It was your choice to bid or not, knowing that these costs would be added. I have no problem with sellers adding these costs on as long as they are declared in the ad so I know what the total will be to me if it goes to my max bid and I win.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #24
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
You really screwed the seller for no valid reason. You knew the S&H up front, and agreed to it by bidding. So later you changed your mind because the "H" part of S&H was the bulk of the fee and you want sympathy or support for your illogical decision? YOU had the option to send a message to the seller and ASK QUESTIONS before bidding, like "How will it be shipped?". You didn't. YOU SHOULD GET THE ROTTEN FEEDBACK, not the seller. If you have any conscience, you should retract your feedback.
IMO Jeff/Illinois you are just wrong. You agreed to the price,S&H included. You got your purchase timely and safely. All the "could haves" don't matter. It could have been personally carried by an armed bonded carrier whose plane crashed and burned. Where's your beef?
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #25
Karl

You Guys should try and pay for shipping to the other side of the world. Many Ebay sellers (and some Fordbarn ones as well) won't even ship outside the States (citing the hassle of dealing with international UPS as the reason ). Many of those that do ship charge a premuim for it. I just accept it as one of the downsides of living in New Zealand . There are however many upsides ! Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #26
Chuck Kuntz

Ebay actually tells sellers to cover the increased selling fees in their handling charges. Ditto for insurance charges. Ebay is all for themselves and buyers- nothing to support sellers. The feedback system is a joke. I received negative feedback from a buyer that was intended for someone else and Ebay refused to remove it. If there were sites for NON-FORD items similar to this one, I would never use Ebay again.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #27
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
You Guys should try and pay for shipping to the other side of the world. Many Ebay sellers (and some Fordbarn ones as well) won't even ship outside the States (citing the hassle of dealing with international UPS as the reason ). Many of those that do ship charge a premuim for it. I just accept it as one of the downsides of living in New Zealand . There are however many upsides ! Karl
I have shipped ebay items around the world, not to New Zealand yet but to Argentina, UK, etc. Shipping by US Postal Service is very easy with only a few lines extra to fill out. Expensive though and Paypal charges a few extra % for exchange.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #28
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Kuntz View Post
Ebay actually tells sellers to cover the increased selling fees in their handling charges. Ditto for insurance charges. Ebay is all for themselves and buyers- nothing to support sellers. The feedback system is a joke. I received negative feedback from a buyer that was intended for someone else and Ebay refused to remove it. If there were sites for NON-FORD items similar to this one, I would never use Ebay again.
Yup, Ebay is a natural monopoly and charges monopoly prices all right! You can buy their stock to cash in however!
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #29
TK in LA

If a sellers gets negative feedback, there is a method to respond to it that will show up under the negative feedback. Not much space to explain but better than nothing. I've had 2 negative feed backs in 11 years and 2400 transactions both unwarranted. My 2¢
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #30
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
I have shipped ebay items around the world, not to New Zealand yet but to Argentina, UK, etc. Shipping by US Postal Service is very easy with only a few lines extra to fill out. Expensive though and Paypal charges a few extra % for exchange.
One of the sellers told me that to ship to most of the states all he had to do was put it in a package in the mailbox with a stamp on it. To Ship overseas he had to got to the post office, find a park and then stand in a line for a long time which he didn't like doing !

Yes shipping is expensive but Model A parts aren't (when compared to modern car parts) so overall its not to bad to run a Model A from anywhere in the world. Bulk shipping is also more cost effective than single items -to a point.

The problem I have is if I wanted a really fine point car it's very difficult (Nearly impossible) to do here unless I find an original barnfind. The small numbers of cars imported and the improvisation used to keep them on the road for a long time means a real lack of good original parts (which do differ from original USA parts sometimes anyway). Thats why although I have seen some amazing restorations of Model A's I've never seen anything like Marco's roadster in New Zealand yet .Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #31
James Rogers

My question is: what part of HANDLING don't these guys understand? This is an open ended item. Shipping is what it is but handling can be anything from 1 cent to an unlimited amount. I agree with all the guys that said the shipper is in the right and if you posted neg feedback to me I would do anything I could to besmirch you on ebay. You are wrong Jeff. Buyers remorse?
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #32
Dusty

I must agree as well that the seller did nothing to deserve the negetive rating, the buyer knew what the price was, knew the cost of getting item to them and apprently was satisfied with the product. I can't see where the seller did any wrong and as a seller if you think I am charging to much for shipping than all you have to do is go else where...simple as that.

As for using Ebay or Paypal I find it as a buyer and seller a very safe way to do both and I have been doing so since the late 90s. I have had to dispute two items that I purchased because one item was the wrong part and the other a $2500.00 digital camera was DOA. Both sellers give me a hard time but Ebay settled both matters to my satisfaction. I have had one problem with Paypal, a couple of low lifes in China hack my account and then procided to empty my checking to the tune of over a $1000.00 I called Paypal to report this and they informed me that they were already aware and that legal action against my new found friends had begun. I was told my money would be back in my account the next day and it was.

So yea I think the fees are high but it is the fastest way of selling an item or finding a good deal.

Knee deep in snow in Wild and Wondeful West By God Virginia
dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #33
Randy in ca

Seems to be a lot of miffed eBay sellers commenting here that haven't really looked at the issue - at least as I see it. I don't think that Jeff is complaining about what he paid (he knew that in advance) - but rather the total lack of "shipping and handling" service that he got for what he paid - valuable coins mailed in an enveloppe!!??. Get a grip. He had every right to leave negative feedback to warn others who might buy from these jerks what a total "lack of service" they are really likely to get for what they pay. My 2 cents.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #34
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
Seems to be a lot of miffed eBay sellers commenting here that haven't really looked at the issue - at least as I see it. I don't think that Jeff is complaining about what he paid (he knew that in advance) - but rather the total lack of "shipping and handling" service that he got for what he paid - valuable coins mailed in an enveloppe!!??. Get a grip. He had every right to leave negative feedback to warn others who might buy from these jerks what a total "lack of service" they are really likely to get for what they pay. My 2 cents.

WHAT! He bought items and they arrived at his home which is what is supposed to happen when you buy something. I guess I missed the part where he said that the coins were going to be shipped in a padded box or something. No, I re-read the post and he is complaining about spending 5 bucks for shipping and handling in an envelope.

"..it irks me when someone lists a S&H price of $4.95 and $5.25 (this was on two coins, respectfully, that I rec'd today from an E-Bay purchase) and both of them consisted of popping the item in a standard envelope and putting a 44 cent stamp on it."
Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #35
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Yup, Ebay is a natural monopoly and charges monopoly prices all right! You can buy their stock to cash in however!
Amen to that.
eBay is the best-performing stock in my IRA account.
makes it a love-hate relationship.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #36
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
WHAT! He bought items and they arrived at his home which is what is supposed to happen when you buy something. I guess I missed the part where he said that the coins were going to be shipped in a padded box or something. No, I re-read the post and he is complaining about spending 5 bucks for shipping and handling in an envelope.

"..it irks me when someone lists a S&H price of $4.95 and $5.25 (this was on two coins, respectfully, that I rec'd today from an E-Bay purchase) and both of them consisted of popping the item in a standard envelope and putting a 44 cent stamp on it."
I agree!!!! Nowhere did he state the seller was going to have the coins delivered in a Wells Fargo truck with two armed guards! Krap, I had a customer screw me out of 2 grand and yea I'm bitchin' but what can I do, the deed is done. Get over this petty junk and be glad you got the items without problems.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote