Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
ken1915

Default Broken Clutch Spring

On my 1914, can the clutch spring be replaced without pulling the engine?
ken1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Broken Clutch Spring

Theres a little bit (!) more to it than that...Aside from the fact that the motor is going to have to come forward to at the very least, pull the 4th main out, you may as well finish pulling it for a cursory internal inspecting and regasketing. If the clutch spring broke then theres some other funny business going on back there that needs to be looked at. ws
Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
redmodelt

The engine would have to be moved forward or the rear end removed. The hogs head would need to come off and the 4th main removed. Now there is the problem of the pin holding the spring cup, it sits in a notch. The cup would have to be compressed and turned to line up hole and the pin. While compressed and with the hole lined up with the pin grabbed somehow and pulled up. If the spring is broke this may not be too hard. You the should be able to side the spring and cup off. The new spring with cup would need to be compressed till the pin could be slid in and then turned till it falls into the notch.
Maybe!
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
yachtsmanbill

BINGO! If that pin is in fact broken and you compress the cup to pull the pin UP with my luck the bottom (broken piece) will fall down... Game over! Then theres the issue of doing this job through the door(s).
It would really be better to pull the motor IMHO... I wonder what kind of time the book gives for changing the spring??? ws
Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
yachtsmanbill

I just got a new computer and just NOW downloaded the service manual (green book) and it shows, from pulling the floor mats, pulling the differential back, changing the hardware and putting it all back together including wiping off the steering wheel, a grand total of, get this:

ONE HOUR AND TWO MINUTES

This BTW as per the book is done with the hogshead on through the inspection door on top!

I can see ol' Fritz at the Ford dealer with his trusty ol' T1917 wrench going at it. That job probably cost $3.75 plus parts, so ya may as well toss in a band reline for 45 minutes and pay the extra $1.25. Id hafta put myself on suicide watch after that job LOL!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
ken1915

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thank you everyone for the advice. I believe I will just pull the engine to see if I can determine what caused the spring to fail.
ken1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis

Pull the engine without hesitation. Much easier and quicker that playing contortionist mechanic unless you are 20 years old. Why did the spring break? I've been dealing with these things for decades and never saw a broken clutch spring.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote