Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default filling the steering box.

From What I've read here, JD corn head grease is the answer for the gemmer steering box. I've read alot about filling it but would like some clarification. If I install a grease zerk and pump it full how do I know when it's full and not over fill it to the point that it goes over the inner tube that the light switch/horn shaft goes through and then leaks out the bottom into the light switch? or am I thinking of this all wrong?. My thought was to put some grease in a bowl, place the bowl in a pot of water bringing the water to a boil heating the grease and melting it to more of an oil and then pour it into the box while hot to get a consistent level and ensure that it gets into everything right away. Thoughts?.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
CT Jack

Default Re: filling the steering box.

First of all the box is supposed to have heavy weight oil like 600W not grease. If all your seals and mechanical clearances are good leakage should be very minimal. If you put a grease fitting on you will eventually have grease coming out as you indicated all in the wrong places. There is no way of telling when the box is full. What I do is fill the box with 600W part way and with my grease gun filled with JD Corn Head grease I hold the nozzle against the filler hole and give it one shot of grease. What this does as the grease mixes with the oil the viscosity of the oil increases (thicker) which helps to keep the leakage almost to nil.
I have also applied this technique to the rearend fluid and is working very nice.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
Synchro909

I just checked the level in my 2 tooth steering box after about 4 years. When I took the plug out, the oil was right there at the bottom of the thread. Happy with that after that time!! I consider that to be full.
I use Penrite steering box lube but have some cornhead grease for the future.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
Licensed to kill

Yes, I understand that 600W oil is what they came with. However, I have done several searches and the general consensus seems to be that corn head grease is the way to go. Like everything, there are differing opinions but the majority opinion seems to recommend corn head grease based on what I've been able to glean from my searches. That is the only reason I am suggesting it.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:44 AM   #5
Dino's A

I added a little STP to mine to keep it working smooth. The bulk of it is 600W.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:34 AM   #6
3.6rs

I think there are so many posts on this forum about this matter that you can fill a day of reading.
But who am i.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:08 AM   #7
Tom Endy

Penrite steering box lube works very well in leaky Model A boxes.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Penrite.jpg (52.1 KB, 101 views)
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:20 AM   #8
Dodge

I also use Penrite and put it in a squeeze bottle that comes from the dollar store. It is a bottle like you use for ketchep and mustard. Just cut the nozzle off to where it will screw into the fill and squeeze until it fills it. No fuss no muss, or mess....
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
From What I've read here, JD corn head grease is the answer for the gemmer steering box. I've read alot about filling it but would like some clarification. If I install a grease zerk and pump it full how do I know when it's full and not over fill it to the point that it goes over the inner tube that the light switch/horn shaft goes through and then leaks out the bottom into the light switch? or am I thinking of this all wrong?. My thought was to put some grease in a bowl, place the bowl in a pot of water bringing the water to a boil heating the grease and melting it to more of an oil and then pour it into the box while hot to get a consistent level and ensure that it gets into everything right away. Thoughts?.
You can just take the end off the grease gun for the John Deer or right from the bottle with the Penrite. This stuff works to keep worn out housings from leaking. Just so you have it straight if the housing is restored and you use the tubed end plate it will not leak with 600W. I am not saying not to use the John Deer or the Penrite many do many don't. As mentioned there is almost the same amount of comments as which oil.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
I also use Penrite and put it in a squeeze bottle that comes from the dollar store. It is a bottle like you use for ketchep and mustard. Just cut the nozzle off to where it will screw into the fill and squeeze until it fills it. No fuss no muss, or mess....
Dodge,
You can save MONEY, if you buy your bottles @ the NINETY NINE CENT STORE
Bill Cheep
Old 01-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #11
160B

Quote:
From What I've read here, JD corn head grease is the answer for the gemmer steeringbox ....................................... ............My thought was to put some grease in a bowl, place the bowl in a pot of water bringing the water to a boil heating the grease and melting it to more of an oil and then pour it into the box while hot to get a consistent level and ensure that it gets into everything right away. Thoughts?.

FWIW

I put the John Deer corn head grease in a plastic squeeze bottle and then put the plastic squeeze bottle in boiling water; this did not change the viscosity. All I had was HOT corn head grease.

I ended up using the squeeze bottle to put grease in the steering gear box and then used a wooden stick to tamp down the grease and add more and tamp. Eventually I got enough in and am very pleased as the corn head grease does not leak out like the 600W did!!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
Dodge

Thanks Bill. A penny saved is a penny earned...
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
I think there are so many posts on this forum about this matter that you can fill a day of reading.
But who am i.
Yes, I spent a few hours going over the posts that came up with a search. However, while there is LOTS out there on what to use ( the search is what lead me to CHG, I found nothing that said HOW to determine when the box it's full, the reason for this thread.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #14
160B

Quote:
.............................. I found nothing that said HOW to determine when the box it's full, the reason for this thread.
What I did after filing with the squeeze bottle was to drive the vehicle and then pull the fill plug and add more if the corn head grease was too low, after doing this several time the level stayed the same. I still check the box every several months or any time I plan on going on a long trip, so far the level has stayed the same.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #15
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
What I did after filing with the squeeze bottle was to drive the vehicle and then pull the fill plug and add more if the corn head grease was too low, after doing this several time the level stayed the same. I still check the box every several months or any time I plan on going on a long trip, so far the level has stayed the same.
Beautiful, Thank you 160B.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #16
Dutie

Ive found the cornhead grease one of the best tips on this forum. Bought two tubes from the local John Deere dealership and was very reasonable, just 3.50 a tube. Squeezed it in an empty lucas upper cyl. lube bottle and just squeezed that in the steering box hole, you can see it going in. Filled it to the top of the worm gear and has been there ever since with no leaks whatsoever... about 200 miles in a month checking it often and has not went down at all. I use to use the STP straight for quite a while, what a mess.

NOTE: Only ONE of the best tips, still have plenty more .... thanks fellas ! HOPE THIS HELPS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1356.jpg (64.2 KB, 30 views)
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
1931 flamingo

See post #7. NO leakee. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #18
duke36

To add to some of the posts, my car came with a small drain plug at bottom of 2 tooth Gemmer box. When adding corn head, the grease will work to the bottom and seep at the loosened or removed drain plug. Also, raising the front wheels to allow the steering to be turned easily helps circulate the grease.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #19
hangarb7

I made a plunger syringe out of a piece of 1" aluminum tubing with a nozzle on the end... sure wish I would have thought of using a restaurant ketchup bottle!!! But I just kept squeezing it in until it would not go and check it often. Old 600 weight oil is still seeping out but that is becoming less and less. Just keep squirting in a little corn head grease.

Since I learned about CHG here, I use it in the leaky landing gear on my 1946 Taylorcraft airplane. Works there too!

JackD
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #20
Ole Don

I used STP straight. It did not leak.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote