Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
Bolts

Default 48 coupe-Results after lapping axle taper

Following the tip from ford38v8 on how to lap the taper on a rough axle, the pictures show before and after. Thanks again Alan.
Before lapping I inspected the keyway for evidence of cracking. Nothing visible in that regard. After an hour and several iterations of removing the hub and repeating the turning process it looks much better.
Does the taper require a finer finish? The Permatex compound I was able to obtain locally gives this result, but finer grades are available from MCmaster-Carr. What's your opinion?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4266.jpg (44.4 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4267.jpg (52.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4268.jpg (44.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4271.jpg (43.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4270.jpg (46.1 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by Bolts; 01-08-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: 48 coupe-Results after lapping axle taper

If you really want to be sure it stays tight,put some loctite super retaining compound on when you assemble it.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Bassman/NZ

That looks good. I dont think a finer finish is needed. I did mine with the same Permatex.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Royal Ryser

What exactly was your turning process? Apply compound, assemble, turn wheel by hand and repeat? Mine is pretty rough and I have thought of applying the compound, slipping the wheel on, and using the engine to turn the axle while holding the wheel by hand.

I can foresee some danger in doing that but believe it could be done safely. That would require blocking the other wheels and making sure the car could not move.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Bolts

I definitely would NOT use the engine.
If the taper is rough it is possible the keyway and/or keys are damaged. Check for worn keys and for cracks in the axle groove. If you see cracks stop and seek help here at the forum.
Just remove drum, remove the axle key, dress the rough spots on the taper with a fine file lightly. Wipe everything clean including the inside taper of the hub. Apply the compound sparingly on the axle taper. Put the drum and hub on and tighten the nut just tight enough so the drum is a little hard to turn by hand. Rotate the drum about 50 times, tightening the nut a little bit. You will feel it as well as hear it and know how tight to make the nut. Remove the drum and hub periodically to check everything. Repeat as needed. Clean everything off real good inside and repack the bearing when you're done so the compound doesn't ruin the bearing.
Note if both wheels are off the ground you will need to prevent the opposite wheel from turning when you rotate the drum. Also, you can install the tire to help with the turning if you need more leverage.
Thanks to Alan, ford383v8 for how to do it. I don't think I left anything out.

Last edited by Bolts; 01-08-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
ford38v8

Bolts, Congratulations on your graduation! You did a good job on the axle, and an excellent explanation on how to do the job!

I've never seen an axle in that bad a condition, and still have reservations on whether it will be servicable. All you can do is try it, but do not ever use that hub on a different axle, or it too may become damaged. Your axle does appear to be bent at the threads, which will negatively affect the torqueing of the castle nut. I'd torque it down, insert the cotter, drive around the block a couple times and torque it down again. This normally wouldn't be required, but with your axle, I'd do that.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
ken ct
BANNED

It looks slightly bent to me also,could be the angle of the pic too??? ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
Bolts

I noticed it was bent today when I put the nut on and had the same thought about needing to retighten it after going around the block. My luck being what it is, it'll snap off in my hand. Might be for the best if it does rather than in someplace like "Resume Speed, Idaho on Sunday night" (quote/unquote).
Old 01-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts View Post
I definitely would NOT use the engine.
...Check for worn keys and for cracks in the axle groove. If you see cracks stop and seek help here at the forum.
Bolts, I just reread your response to Royal Riser. The crack, if any, will not be in the keyway, but rather, on the shaft at the inner end of the keyway. This is the point at which stress is concentrated.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Bolts, trying to keep up with your axle problems and updates on several different posts gets a little confusing.....for me anyway. I would suggest keeping all the info relative to the same problem on one thread.

Anyway, after looking at these axle pictures, I don't think the threaded end is bent on that one axle. I believe what you have are threads cut off center when you cut the threads down from 5/8" to 9/16" as you mentioned doing in another post. If this is the case, as others have mentioned, that axle nut will not torque down properly.

Also, that fuzzy looking stuff around the axle, near the wheel bearing journal, looks like someones failed attempt at a makeshift seal. The best thing you could do is replace all three of those lip seals (one in each axle housing and one at front of torque tube) if/when you take the rear apart to replace the axle(s).

And finally, those taper surfaces look much better after that lapping procedure. I have never seen axles that beatup before in the dozen or more rears I have taken apart.
Keep plugging away on this repair, you will get this done right and learn a lot in the process, with some coaching from the guys who post here.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-09-2014 at 03:24 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
jimvette59

In the first two pictures the threads look ok then it looks like somebody ran a die on them and it went crooked, not good. I think it will shear off when it is tightened as much it should be. JMHO
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #12
Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
In the first two pictures the threads look ok then it looks like somebody ran a die on them and it went crooked, not good. I think it will shear off when it is tightened as much it should be. JMHO
I really appreciate all the help and encouragement I am getting from you gentlemen on the barn. Your knowledge of these old cars is so valuable.

I think the threaded end got bent when it was put back together and driven before I got it. It had absolutely no torque on the nut when I took it apart for the first time. The 5/8 thread was COMPLETELY stripped off. The nut wouldn't hold the hat on your head as my old father in law used to say.
I thought it might work temporarily to recut the thread using a 9/16 die. The die did follow the nub that was left on the axle and gave a full 9/16 SAE thread. But it is a little crooked. You can tell when you tighten the nut up against the washer when the hub is on. But, hopefully this will hold well enough to move the car a little bit and use the brakes so I can turn it around in my garage and try to get the engine running.

I know I'll be axle shopping in the near future and won't be driving it more than a few blocks around home once I do get it going. Oh yeah, with drum retainers, that's for sure.

Last edited by Bolts; 01-08-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
Pete

"Oh yeah, with drum retainers, that's for sure."

Clip type retainers are better than nothing but as long as you will have it all apart you might want to consider the full safety retainers that have the weld on ring.
Cheap insurance.

Royal Ryser, NO WAY lap the axle with power!!!! A good way to lose a hand or something else....Relax and do it right. Back and forth under hand pressure, pull back, rotate 90 degres, back and forth under hand pressure, rotate 90 degrees etc etc etc.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 PM   #14
Bolts

Don't know what they are Pete. Got any more info?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 PM   #15
Pete

Here's a pic of them. I don't know who has them now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg safetyhub.jpg (6.6 KB, 168 views)
Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 AM   #16
ford38v8

Pete, he's not going to put it on the oval track, the bolt-on clips will hold the wheel from spinning off, I think that's all he needs.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:26 AM   #17
Pete

I gave seen the clips fail several times.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #18
john in illinois

One thing I might add. The nut for the axle looks pretty new. New replacement nuts are not hardened and have a loose thread fit. I always obtain good used ford nuts.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote