Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2023, 10:49 PM   #1
Mike/Nebraska

Default Holley b94

Does anyone know where to get jets for a Holley 94/? Speedway sells adjustable main jets but that's all.
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Holley b94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike/Nebraska View Post
Does anyone know where to get jets for a Holley 94/? Speedway sells adjustable main jets but that's all.
My experience with their adjustable jets is buy those & install them, -and then get a handful of different power valves to tune even further. When I was running dual 94s on the street and the track, those with the adjustable jets were the most tunable and best running carburetors out of the 97, 94,and 81 carbs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00629.jpg (127.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00628.jpg (140.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg RedCrown5.jpg (69.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg RedCrown1.jpg (49.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg RedCrown6.jpg (52.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Gilmore2.jpg (78.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Gilmore3.jpg (37.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Gilmore4.jpg (39.7 KB, 37 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
Flathead

I think they are the same jets that the Holley 4bbl uses, available online or local speed shop if you have one.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:54 PM   #4
Herb Concord Ca

Brent, I notice in the pictures, you have friction shocks in the front. What kind of shocks did you use in the rear?
Thanks,
Herb
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 03:52 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca View Post
Brent, I notice in the pictures, you have friction shocks in the front. What kind of shocks did you use in the rear?
Thanks,
Herb
Ooooo, ...what I used -vs. what I should have used is two huge differences.

Back then, I tried various types but as I recall on the rear in those pix I was using front shocks off of a 1970's ½-ton Chevrolet pick-up which were installed at about a 45° angle. I used those because I was trying to use them to control body roll.

Those friction shocks up front were about the same as having nothing.

Disclaimer: Knowing what I/we know today about race shocks, and if we had a shock dyno and a spring smasher in-house (like now) where we could have tuned with compression & rebound valving, I likely could have made all of my Model-A racers much quicker. Again, back then I was pretty naïve about the concept needing to keep all 4 tires on the ground at all times around the track. The car below kinda took the place of my Model-A race cars.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blake at Bulls Gap 09_14_22 (1).jpg (45.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2022 Wrap1.jpg (91.2 KB, 21 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-22-2023, 04:21 PM   #6
Herb Concord Ca

Thanks Brent, not what I was expecting. I guess your experience with the friction shocks leads you to not recommending them.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:56 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca View Post
Thanks Brent, not what I was expecting. I guess your experience with the friction shocks leads you to not recommending them.
Well depends I guess. I am building a 1912 Model-T Speedster for a customer that we are fabricating a set of Hartford replica friction shocks. His car will be a street-driven car that has quite a lot of era goodies. I doubt it will never be driven on a race track in 'competition', therefore the friction shocks (-which were the best at the time) will suffice. In the case of when I was driving Big Cars, Speedsters, and Track Roadsters with AARA and DAARA, even though it was called 'exhibition racing', the term exhibition had different meanings for different competitors within the same race!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-23-2023, 05:34 PM   #8
Herb Concord Ca

Brent, thanks for the added info.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:28 PM   #9
Mike/Nebraska

Brent, What engine mods did you make to run two 94s on your banger. I keep hearing that it's too much carb for a Model A. My motor is .060. over, "B" cam, counter balanced crank and lightened flywheel and V-8 clutch. I'm waiting to get either a Winfield 7.1 head or something similar. This motor goes in a similar speedster as yours shown.
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 04:05 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike/Nebraska View Post
Brent, What engine mods did you make to run two 94s on your banger. I keep hearing that it's too much carb for a Model A. My motor is .060. over, "B" cam, counter balanced crank and lightened flywheel and V-8 clutch. I'm waiting to get either a Winfield 7.1 head or something similar. This motor goes in a similar speedster as yours shown.
The engine in both cars is a G28T engine with 1.750 intakes, a cam that Pete Samuelson ground and sent as a gift (-well, it was exchanged for something however we will leave that right there even though the statute of limitations has likely expired!! ), and a Dan Iandola head that CC-ed at about 8½:1 compression. Maybe Pete can share the specs?? The rear axle had 4:33 R&P, and no idea on what the height of the tires were.

I ran several different ignition systems during that time, and all were similar except the mags. In one of pics, you will see a Model-A distributor that had a Pertronix Ignitor set-up and whatever coil they recommended. Likely the best was with the Mallory Unilite distributor that had a Blaster Coil and a MSD 6AL box. The worst was a WICO mag, and I also had a Scintilla Vertex mag that had great crowd appeal but I wasn't a fan. The bottom line is if you can have good hot spark where you can 'light' the fuel mixture cleanly, then you can run a fat mixture successfully. If you can hide an MSD box, then you can generally run less timing and still make good power. And, ...your bearings will love you for that!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com