Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #1
richard rink

Default Installing Ignition Switch in '53 Ford

While the engine is being rebuilt, I undertook to upgrade some of the wiring relating to the ignition switch. Removing the switch from its dash position went fine. I've replaced the worn wires. Now's the hard part. I have not been able to reinstall the switch. The parts consist of: the switch assembly, the coil spring, the circular "locking component " and the bezel. Any suggestions on how to manage the reinstallation are greatly appreciated. Thanks. Richard
Old 05-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
Robz51

Default Re: Installing Ignition Switch in '53 Ford

You need a switch bezel installation tool. Shoebox Central has them as does Mac's. I've used a large flat tipped screwdriver but it can damage the soft pot metal.
You have apply a lot of pressure from the backside of the switch, align the bezel keys in the switch and turn clockwise.
Rob
Robz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
donald1950

it is a real pain, i had to remove my switch and replace it to re-key it. i think it took a bit of monkey motion but it is inserted and turned and the bezel snaps on but that spring is strong and it took a few trys to get both hands coordinated and it has to be perfectly straight for the bezel to go on..... you can do it with the door wide open and kneeling right there, but being right handed and 71 years old my left arm is weaker and i had difficulty compressing the spring with my left hand to get the switch in place.. just have patience and it will work....
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
richard rink

Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to complete the installation, aligning the slots and using a broad tipped screwdriver to rotate the "lock ring." As you know, the challenges of working with one hand behind the dash and one in front can be difficult. Great to have it work out! Thanks again. Richad