Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Patrick L.

Default Don't mind me,, just a rant about drivers..

So I'm motoring along a neighborhood street in the ole girl when this old gizzard[ I can say that cuz I almost are one] pulls out from a side street without stopping.. Hes pulls right up to the side of the car almost t-boning me and I can reach over out touch his headlights.. No one was parked along the curb so I could slid over and keep away from him.. I was going a bit faster so I pulled in front of him and gave him the salute.. I turned on another road to head home[ 3 lane] and along comes this gizzard-ess in the center turn lane passing everyone and driving merrily along the full length of the road .. So now I need to turn onto another road, here comes this 40ish moron who whizzes through the stop sign and then decides to come to a stop half-way into the road at about a 45 degree angle blocking both lanes.. I come to a stop and wait for him, he doesn't move, I drive around him and call him something kinda unmentionable, all the while he seems to be bouncing around completely oblivious to where or what he is doing and never looks at me..He had to have been on something illegal.. Anyway, be careful out there, this world is full of stupid people, we have more than our share here in New York and would love to loan some to you..
Old 07-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
zzlegend

Default Re: Don't mind me,, just a rant about drivers..

Thats ok. We have enough out here in California. But most dont live here legally.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

maybe someone put a bulls eye on your car
Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
So I'm motoring along a neighborhood street in the ole girl when this old gizzard[ I can say that cuz I almost are one] pulls out from a side street without stopping.. Hes pulls right up to the side of the car almost t-boning me and I can reach over out touch his headlights.. No one was parked along the curb so I could slid over and keep away from him.. I was going a bit faster so I pulled in front of him and gave him the salute.. I turned on another road to head home[ 3 lane] and along comes this gizzard-ess in the center turn lane passing everyone and driving merrily along the full length of the road .. So now I need to turn onto another road, here comes this 40ish moron who whizzes through the stop sign and then decides to come to a stop half-way into the road at about a 45 degree angle blocking both lanes.. I come to a stop and wait for him, he doesn't move, I drive around him and call him something kinda unmentionable, all the while he seems to be bouncing around completely oblivious to where or what he is doing and never looks at me..He had to have been on something illegal.. Anyway, be careful out there, this world is full of stupid people, we have more than our share here in New York and would love to loan some to you..

As a result of years of liberalism our society has been dumbed down and it transfers to the drivers. Don't criticize little Johnny it might hurt his self-esteem. He looks so intelligent wearing his baggy "loser uniform" while wearing his hat sideways. The tattoos all over his neck give him such a mark of distinction don't you think.

As for many of the codgers, that's just their nature. The lights are on but nobody's home (which also applies to many of the young punks referenced above).

Moreover, when I was a young kid 45 years ago or so, a policeman would write you a ticket for all sorts of violations as compared to today; so a person would naturally become a better driver if they had any sense.

Larry B.

Last edited by Larry Brumfield; 07-30-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
joe plumber

Thumbs up Re: Don't mind me,, just a rant about drivers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Brumfield View Post
As a result of years of liberalism our society has been dumbed down and it transfers to the drivers. Don't criticize little Johnny it might hurt his self-esteem. He looks so intelligent wearing his baggy "loser uniform" while wearing his hat sideways. The tattoos all over his neck give him such a mark of distinction don't you think.

As for many of the codgers, that's just their nature. The lights are on but nobody's home (which also applies to many of the young punks referenced above).

Moreover, when I was a young kid 45 years ago or so, a policeman would write you a ticket for all sorts of violations as compared to today; so a person would naturally become a better driver if they had any sense.

Larry B.
Well said Larry.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Patrick L.

' Liberalism' ,, you bet !! And you're not even from New York !! This state was known as the 'Empire State' ,, liberals have turned us into the ' welfare state '.. I'm having a real hard time getting JoAnn to let me put a 'for sale' sign in the front yard.. Its a shame too because this is a beautiful part of the country,, but,, the damn liberals have certainly ruined it..
Old 07-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Jim Huseby

You got a way with words, Larry! Please keep posting. BTW, what are the exact qualifications for being a gizzard?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Lamar Wadsworth

During the 15 years we spent in Baltimore, I really missed some of the quaint southern customs I grew up with, such as people stopping for red lights.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Frank Nemo

That wild driver sounds like he ought to be running for Governor of Illinois, my home state, I am embarrassed to say.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
PC/SR

Well, I liked it when there was no politics on the new forum, but Larry's cheap shot at liberals will go unanswered this time, and I hope it ends. I suggest Larry stick to building heads and posting MOdel A comments here, because if he "keeps posting" political stuff here as requested I am going to respond in kind and that just detracts from the purpose, fun and value of the forum.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
Mitch Bunkin in PA

Well said PC/SR. Besides being immature, the political wise cracks on this thread show a profound disrespect for Ryan's effort to create a quality forum based on the love of the Model "A" which many of all political persuasions have in common. May I suggest that those responsible privately e-mail Ryan an apology?

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Old 07-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Wadsworth View Post
During the 15 years we spent in Baltimore, I really missed some of the quaint southern customs I grew up with, such as people stopping for red lights.
Forst of all LOVE that truck!!

Next, here is south florida we have special traffic laws that took me a little time to get an understanding or what and how they work.

Examples,

Stop signs are only a suggestion.
When making a left hand turn you can make it from any lane into any lane.
Red light means the next 4 cars can go through.
Red light number 2, you must gun it within 300 milliseconds of the light changing green so the person behind you won't have to blow his horn.
Yellow light means hit the gas.
Directionals signal that some SOB is trying to get in front and the car should speed up and block the person trying change lanes.
Highway traffic lanes, If you are in front of someone you were there first so you can drive at any speed in any lane.

There are sites that rates states drivers, how does your state rate?
2010 GMAC Insurance Driver's Test Results

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 07-31-2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Remembered a "rule"
Old 07-31-2010, 12:53 AM   #13
PC/SR

Here in Calif we have some odd rules too.
Green light means people will be crossing in front of you and you will probably be broadsided.
Red means if you stop you will be rear ended.
Yellow means nothing. Its an eye test to see if you can floorboard it before it changes color.
Do Not Pass zones mean pass, preferably on the right, fast and close.
Left, or right, turn only means stop, then go opposite of the direction indicated.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #14
Bruce in southern OH

Apology, get on over it, he was posting his comments about his driving experience and events, if you read more into it you are looking for something to complain about, read someone else's story, Have a safe day!!! Bruce Johnson ( have a name )
Old 07-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
skip
Banned

"...here comes this 40ish moron who whizzes through the stop sign and then decides to come to a stop half-way into the road at about a 45 degree angle blocking both lanes..." Gotta luv those California stops hey?

Non~Drivers are amazing. How they creep up on the stop light to make it change faster, late braking, instant lane changes prior to going through intersections or plain out playing the game 'What's my lane?'.

And my highway pet peeve, hurrying up to pass me and then cut in front of me to make the get-off ramp. When I'm even with the ramp they are about five car lengths down the ramp from me. Why can't they just stay behind me? Hurry up and wait.

I watched a teen hold her cell in the right hand. Apply eye make-up with an eye lash brush with her left hand while tilting her clueless head toward the rear view mirror and still steer I assume with her knees while motoring down Egg Harbor Road in her parent's A-4 Audi and coming up to a stop sign. Man if I was a cop...I'd give her a tit twist and a ticket!

"Governor of Illinois" Where our Governor make our licenses plates. Thanks Frank.
Diddo Larry!

Thanks. "I luv's Rants." skip.

Last edited by skip; 07-31-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #16
druids62

LOL. "the Rules of California" bring back memories! How true these are. I've driven a multiple of vehicles in a good number of places and a few countries but the experience left a lasting impression on me. On a short business trip to California a few years ago, I wasn't two blocks from leaving LAX when I received my first "finger salut". Why do they hate tourists? It seems as the week progressed it appeared that I would be receiving this "finger salut" daily. Its a good thing that I'm not from a remote country as I would begin to think this gesture was part of the drivig exam.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #17
Frank Miller

I am a liberal and I liked Larry's comment. Why has no one taken to task the first poster that categorized all the people driving? People who do not like politics are the reason why there are comics in the paper.

Last week an old guy backed into the side of my car. No real damage as it has 262,000 miles on it and I do not particularly care about a few scrapes. But he was an old person and had plenty of room in the daylight. He clearly lacked the simplest driving skills but my poor liberal a** lacked the b**** to turn him in. So when you are all old and still driving remember it was made possible by liberals like me.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #18
Earle

I agree with Larry and his right to comment on what he feels are the reasons that the traditional "courtesies of the road" and respect for law (any recent news events come to mind?) is disappearing these days. It even extends to the show field as parents stand by and admire little Johny climbing all over my car to "express himself." The "grown-ups" do it too. And then look surprised and offended when an "authority figure" (ME) walks up and politely requests that no-one touch the car without permission!

This increased sense of entitlement and unrestrained liberty that people exercise at other people's expense does NOT come from our once-honored traditions of respect, decency and self-control that kids use to be raised with. Now it's all about ME, My rights, MY self-esteem and what others owe ME. An "old-fashioned" sense of personal conservatism and respect for all definitely did not create this!

Call this "political", if you like but we all, in this hobby, are feeling the effects of a radically-changing society. And it does affect the hobby we all love. Shoddy parts and service, incompetent run-arounds from state and government "service" agencies (clueless motor-vehicle clerks?...etc), rude, reckless drivers on the highways, Flea-Bay dishonesties and rip-offs, teen vandalism against my car when I leave it briefly on the street in front of my house, ... you name it. It DID NOT come from the traditional, conservative up-bringings that most of us here had!

There is more to the big picture of our treasured Model A hobby than just head-nut torques and types of motor oil. I love chatting about all those technical things as I enjoy my roadster and sharing her with the public. But things, in general, are changing and there's a reason. Larry just hit a nerve - with many here, I suspect.

I certainly agree that folks of all "political" persuasions can love, enjoy and chat about our beloved Model A's, but that sometimes involves broader topics that impact on our hobby. And I would think that common sense should prevail most of the time!

OK, Larry....Now back to reasons for Model A engine overheating and thoughts on various compression ratios.....

(Thanks, Larry!)

Earle
Old 07-31-2010, 08:43 AM   #19
Patrick L.

[Quote],,I am a liberal and I liked Larry's comment. Why has no one taken to task the first poster that categorized all the people driving? People who do not like politics are the reason why there are comics in the paper.[end quote]..
I liked Franks comment,, it kinda made my point for me.. And I think since I was the first poster I believe his post was pretty much directed toward me and thats fine,take me to task, I welcome it..There wasn't any political comment in my first post and I think I 'categorized' the drivers appropriately..
I think I mentioned up front that the post was just a rant,,but,, in the future I will try and keep things Model A mechanical related.. Whenever possible I always try and help a liberal just as quickly as I do a conservative..
Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #20
Frank Miller

Patrick, I had no problems with your observations either. I just thought Larry was being unfairly singled out. And as Earle correctly pointed out, laws made by politics will define what our hobby will be in the future.
Closed Thread