Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2016, 08:30 AM   #41
Binger

Default Re: Help identifying a 1931 roadster

I wouldn't worry too much about the transmission. It is probably not model A. However, A transmissions can be set up on B engines easily. Could be a B transmission or even a later V8. The bell housing and flywheel housings are different between As and Bs. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the differences.
I am curious about the hydraulic brake set up. Someone built the car into a nice driver with some upgrades. Apart from the hard core model A guys nobody will ever know its not completely stock.
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #42
Charlie Stephens

It is nice to have good brakes (understatement). Having said that take some pictures of the brake system, lines, master cylinder mount, linkage. Many people trying to improve the brakes by adding hydraulics end up with a system that is less safe than the original mechanicals. Either system is good but there are more chances of messing up the hydraulics since they require creativity where the mechanicals only requiring restoring or replacing parts.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #43
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 conv sedan View Post
What can I check on transmission? More than once, I read the comment of worries about the type of transmission it may have...

Can any of you give me clues as to what do I need to look for?

Thanks,
victor
Victor, get several close up pictures of the transmission and tower for posting. The original had a separate transmission box with a bell housing bolted onto the front. The bell housing had a shaft coming out of the side for the brake and clutch pedals. This shaft is the clue to telling that it is a Model A transmission.

Charlire Stephens
Old 01-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #44
mot

dont be too quick to get rid of the B engine
many of them have counterbalanced cranks,which make for smoother running
and they go for a lot more than a model A motor if they are in good shape
the headlamp bar is also incorrect
it should have a nice curve the whole length
not flat on the top side
tom
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:59 AM   #45
36 conv sedan

I went today to see the car and ended up buying it. I had very little time as my friend was in a sort of hurry (he took his wife with him and they were going to drive to Mexico city) so I really did not get under it to photograph it, but just took a good look from the outside and inside. Really, great workmanship with a few exceptions, but not to Ford A original standards unfortunately.

The engine sounds great and started with ease after about of 3 months sitting! My friend had it restored some time ago. We only took a very small ride in it but everything seems fine, no growls or anything strange from the transmission. My friend really drove it very little since he finished it but the car apparently works fine and he says it does not overheat.

I am exhausted and with a headache after a very long day but I will post tomorrow some other pics and ask other doubts…. For now, the windshield and top…

I still think it is is a 1931 model (3 screws in the lower door hinge, round speedometer and the one piece running board splash shield), and probably a Deluxe, as the windshield stands at 13”… though the convertible top bows seem to be the “standard” style, so this is still a mistery for me. Here are some pics of the windshield in which you will see I measured from the top of the windshield down at the stanchion… any opinions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16.01 081.jpg (52.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 16.01 088.jpg (46.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 16.01 087.jpg (45.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 16.01 065.jpg (30.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 16.01 067.jpg (28.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 16.01 073.jpg (44.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 16.01 068.jpg (51.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by 36 conv sedan; 01-12-2016 at 01:28 AM.
36 conv sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:07 AM   #46
36 conv sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
dont be too quick to get rid of the B engine
many of them have counterbalanced cranks,which make for smoother running
and they go for a lot more than a model A motor if they are in good shape
the headlamp bar is also incorrect
it should have a nice curve the whole length
not flat on the top side
tom
Tom:

Thanks! After hearing the engine today and seeing how it starts, I will definately not be messing with it. I am going to follow the advice I have been getting at the forum: the car will stay as it is and I will enjoy it as is... at least for a good while. I will gradually replace the incorrect parts (thanks for pointing out the headlight bar) and eventually restore it, and only then I will try to find a suitable (meaning in the number range) engine.

Thanks!
Victor
Old 01-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #47
Barry B./ Ma.

Congratulations on your purchase. Many years of happy motoring ahead. I think the first thing I would do is to add the glass windwings to the windshield posts. Looks like they used a standard roadster top to the deluxe windshield posts which is no big deal and it was only a matter of attaching the rear of the top in the right position for the assembly to align with the windshield posts, I would leave things as they are. I don't see any body sockets for (side window) side curtains but I never used the side curtains on mine and it is OK as long as you don't drive it in the rain.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #48
36 conv sedan

Barry:

Thanks! Yes, I look forward to enjoying the little car a lot.

I will look into adding wind wings... they do look nice. Also the body sockets, but that will be for the looks only, as I don't plan on even buying the side windows/curtains.

Victor

Last edited by 36 conv sedan; 01-12-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #49
Bob C

According to Bratton's catalog the standard windshield frame is 15 1/4"
at the end and the deluxe is 13 1/2".

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #50
36 conv sedan

Thank you Bob! What it has now is the Deluxe windshield, no doubt about it. Stanchions look correct and everything in windshield area looks fine, with the exception of the wiper, which I understand should not be manual but electric, so I need to find one.

I will be posting pics of the different areas. I will appreciate whatever anybody can tell me about wrong parts, to start looking for the correct ones... and if any of you has any extra parts, please let me know.

Thanks,
victor
Old 01-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #51
36 conv sedan

As for the car's registration, I have an invoice dated 1967 that mentions engine number A3908943. Would this number help date the car? Of course there is the possibility that it was not the original engine by then...

The same paper notes a new engine number, which is what is stamped currently on the B engine, listed as A144654
Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #52
jthomas6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 conv sedan View Post
As for the car's registration, I have an invoice dated 1967 that mentions engine number A3908943. Would this number help date the car? Of course there is the possibility that it was not the original engine by then...

The same paper notes a new engine number, which is what is stamped currently on the B engine, listed as A144654
Engine number A3908943 = 09/08/30
Engine number A144654 = 05/21/28

Joe
Old 01-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #53
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas6 View Post

Joe
Also remember that Model B engines were not stamped from the factory. The serial number for the Model B 4 cylinder was stamped into a pad on the flywheel housing.

Charlie Stephens
Old 01-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #54
36 conv sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas6 View Post

Joe
Thanks!

So, September 1930 for the engine, and taking into consideration that an engine up to 3 months in advance is acceptable, I guess we are talking about an early 1931 model, assembled perhaps in late 1930.

I don't know at what date technically start to be a 1931 model, but in any case, it appears to be an early 1931 model. Would that make the 1930 style grill correct? I understand the blue emblem was used up to a few months in 1931... lot's of doubts...

And on the engine... yes! Apparently this is a B unit which was stamped with some earlier number... who knows why...
Old 01-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #55
Farrell In Vancouver

Was this car not equipped with a vacuum wiper? I thought only 28-29 closed cars had the electric wipers.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #56
Bob C

You may want to check out Marco's roadster for what a correct car looks like.
http://www.abarnyard.com/roadster/roadster.shtml

Bob
Old 01-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #57
Barry B./ Ma.

Victor, my late 30 standard roadster had the one piece splash aprons, the round speedometer and had cowl lights but they were added after and I used them for directionals (with white bulbs of course). I sold the car last year but the engine no. indicated it was made in July 1930. If you find a vacuum wiper the rubber hose runs through a hole in the drivers side stanchion and clips on the windshield uprights. Standards had painted windshield frames and chrome uprights. Sounds like a fun project that you can drive while updating.I would stamp the block with the correct number A390xxxx or a thin plate in that location on the block, check what the registration says for a VIN. The A390xxx number should appear on the frame but the cowl would have to be lifted to see it. During production of the Model A the engines were stamped at the factory , shipped to the assembly branches and that number was stamped on the frame.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #58
36 conv sedan

Marco's roadster is a great reference, thanks!

I will of course get the Judging guidelines that some of you have mentioned.

Mexico is very complex regarding car's paperworks... I will have to see if I can get it back to registration with the "original" number, A390xxxx, and if possible, then I will look at restamping the engine.

So Barry, one piece splash aprons and round speedometer were also used from late 1930. Any ideas of when the 1931 grill was started to be used? Would that be already for 1931 model year cars?

Thanks,
victor
Old 01-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #59
36 conv sedan

I went over a good part of Marco's page... Wow! The amount of information in it and pictures is incredible. Thanks again for the link.

What about my firewall... is this what is called the "indented" firewall or not? i ask because I understand helps date the car also.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:21 PM   #60
Bob C

Can't see very well but I don't think it is an indented firewall.
The picture below is an indented firewall.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valve.jpg (88.3 KB, 38 views)