Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2016, 01:49 AM   #41
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Forget Finding an Honest Man Diogenes, Find Me a Good Battery

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm
Old 01-15-2016, 04:10 AM   #42
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
The two worst batteries with shortest lifespans I have ever owned (both in 6 and 12 volt flavors) were Optimas. They were both expensive mistakes. The once great Optima batteries have followed the path of almost everything else that was once good in this country and have become pale imitations of their former selves. NEVER AGAIN!!!
Marshall
I have a friend that used to swear by Optima and now he swears at them! They are not what they once were. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #43
ericr

the best battery I recall ever having in a Model "A" was a Delco but I don't think they have made 6-volts for years.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #44
KenCoupe

I have an Optima that I have had for several years. It is about the best battery I have owned. I have also had an Optima in a modern car with very good results. I know some people have had poor experiences with Optimas, but I have read recent reviews of Optima batteries, and the vast majority of the reviews have been very good. Maybe Optima had a period of poor quality that they have since corrected?
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:17 AM   #45
john charlton

I do have a theory that alternators do shorten battery life . I think as a battery ages its fully charged voltage might be be very very slightly down . This causes the alternator to think the battery is not fully charged so it tries to bring the battery voltage up to full charge voltage which it will not do . The end result is that the alternator kills the battery whereas a generator would not . Has anyone noticed that battery life in a alternator is less than a generator car ??? It would be interesting to do a survey . The other theory would be an alternator keeps the battery in better health earlier on . Btteries can be made to last longer ,I had a battery that was date stamped 1991 I replaced it in 2012 so was 21 years old . It was not designed for automotive use and was out of a bank of batteries which powered an emergency telephone system .

John in Gee Whiz its freezing in Suffolk Couty England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #46
Terry, NJ

John, Verry Interesting! I'm just cynical enough to believe that the battery mfrs know how to improve battery life and, DON'T DO IT! for whatever reason. But I'm noticing a increase in the life of most modern car parts, including batteries. It's as though they knew how to do it along, but weren't. I got 11 years out of a battery in my 99 E150 and I thought this was phenomenal. Lately, however, I've heard stories that perhaps this is more normal than astounding. Obviously, your phone bank battery must be somehow different, have you figured out what that difference is?
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
I do have a theory that alternators do shorten battery life . I think as a battery ages its fully charged voltage might be be very very slightly down . This causes the alternator to think the battery is not fully charged so it tries to bring the battery voltage up to full charge voltage which it will not do . The end result is that the alternator kills the battery whereas a generator would not . Has anyone noticed that battery life in a alternator is less than a generator car ??? It would be interesting to do a survey . The other theory would be an alternator keeps the battery in better health earlier on . Btteries can be made to last longer ,I had a battery that was date stamped 1991 I replaced it in 2012 so was 21 years old . It was not designed for automotive use and was out of a bank of batteries which powered an emergency telephone system .

John in Gee Whiz its freezing in Suffolk Couty England .
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #47
john charlton

It was bright yellow although slightly taller fitted the battery tray fine . The connections were threaded posts so I made conical washers and nut to connect the regular cables . Sadly I did not make a note of the maker ,it had no provision to top up distilled water so was totally sealed .It did have a "window" like a Delco battery so you could see state of charge .

John in it was a lovely sunny crisp day but cold Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote