Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #41
holdover

Default Re: Re-core radiator cost

My '29 coupe needs a new rad. it had a honeycomb replacement in it when I bought it. This is not a show and never will be a fine points judging car so my intent is to put a new radiator in it. My question is out of those that are available who makes one that is closest to the original, Snyders, Brassworks etc.

thanks....
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #42
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
"Thinking I need a thermostat, 160 or 180?"

Is it your thinking that a thermostat will lower the temp?

As for rodding it out, it seems to me you have little choice and an opportunity for great personal satisfaction.

If there is no shop around and you plan to either have it recored, or replaced this is what I would do.

Take the radiator out of the car (has to be done anyway), place it on a board and trace around it to get an accurate outline. With a propane torch remove the top tank. Go to a hobby/craft store and purchase two 3' pieces of music wire and one tube. One wire and the tube about 1/2 the diameter on the radiator tube and one wire just under the size of the tube. Round off the bottom edges of the wires and crimp a periodontal brush in the tube. Using the rods, clean out the tubes, forcing any junk into the bottom tank, follow up with the brush. Once done flush out the radiator and the bottom tank.

Place the top tank on the core, place the assembly on the board to check for height and solder back in place.

If that does not work you "wasted" about $20.00 and an afternoon. If it does work you saved, well, see above posts, and also gained personal satisfaction in a job well done.

What is a "tube" and what is "music wire" ?? Read this about five times and my head is still spinning.....
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:39 PM   #43
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
My '29 coupe needs a new rad. it had a honeycomb replacement in it when I bought it. This is not a show and never will be a fine points judging car so my intent is to put a new radiator in it. My question is out of those that are available who makes one that is closest to the original, Snyders, Brassworks etc.

thanks....
I bought a Berg's 28-9 round tube core about 10 years ago. They are the best and closest to original.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:10 PM   #44
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
What is a "tube" and what is "music wire" ?? Read this about five times and my head is still spinning.....

I'm sorry, here is a link,

http://www.ksmetals.com/17.html
Old 06-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #45
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
My thinking is that a thermostat will change/regulate the pressure in the block, help control the outflow, and hopefully help the situation.
I still like the evapo-rust idea.
Found a shop that will do a rod out for 75-100, about 45 miles away.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #46
ctlikon0712

I like the Dura Core H design and the US Mfg. I'll have to check their pricing, if its right it might be worth doing yourself.

http://detroitradiatorcorp.com/drc/page/ultra-core/
Old 06-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #47
DougVieyra

I just received a reply from BrassWorks, and they say that at this time they can't provide a '28-'29 style radiator with the 'Funnel' inlet tube; but hope to in the future.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #48
Dick Carne

I've had a couple of Model A radiators re-cored as well as one for a Model T - all ran between $375 and $425, depending on how far back its been. We put a new Walker radiator on our phaeton about 25 years ago, but the re-cored units perform just as well as the "new" Walker. I just like the idea of using original tanks - your choice.

Good Luck either way -

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #49
The Brassworks

We are re-tooling the dies for the funnel neck. In the interim, we are re-storing using customer's funnel necks and constructing replacements with the late 1929 style neck which somewhat resembled the 1930. Hope to be producing the deep drawn funnel style neck again within a few weeks.

We now hand-shear the concave relief which corresponds to the sidewall die stamping on 1928-1929 and 1930-31s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
I just received a reply from BrassWorks, and they say that at this time they can't provide a '28-'29 style radiator with the 'Funnel' inlet tube; but hope to in the future.
The Brassworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #50
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brassworks View Post
We are re-tooling the dies for the funnel neck. In the interim, we are re-storing using customer's funnel necks and constructing replacements with the late 1929 style neck which somewhat resembled the 1930. Hope to be producing the deep drawn funnel style neck again within a few weeks.

We now hand-shear the concave relief which corresponds to the sidewall die stamping on 1928-1929 and 1930-31s.
If you're ever in need of a unbiased tester for your '31 radiators I will gladly volunteer to give my results/opinion to all at the "Ford Barn", and beyond, on just how great your radiators truly are. Even if the testing takes years and years.
Hint..hint
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote