Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2015, 11:51 PM   #21
hotrodr58

Default Re: fair price for 34 ford victoria

I paid $125 for my Victoria body. Have been collecting "real steel" for it for 5 years. Just purchased a new frame and am ready to street rod it. No "glass" on this one. That"s what "Henry" would want.Time to get started.
hotrodr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #22
motordr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster36 View Post
I bailed out of several very nice cars that I owned for many years because you cannot build them for anywhere near what you can buy them for already done. My 3-W sold for almost 40K and needed more work to be completed. If someone were to give me that for free I would turn them down. It takes 2-3X to build them for what you can buy them for already done.My cabriolet was the same story. I sold it with a perfect metal body but it needed everything else. I bought a finished cabriolet show car for way less than 20K more. My Victoria was the same story. I found it locally and bought it because it was an original, rust free car that needed very little to be perfect. If I were to try and build that car it would be at least 50K and at least a year of my time. I enjoyed building many cars over the years for myself but the financial realization of continuing that didn't make sense for me. Times have changed. In my opinion you can save yourself a lot of time, money, and headaches by searching for the car you are looking for and being prudent about what you pay for it. I would not be interested in the project Victoria you spoke about at any price unless you have some sentimental attachment to that particular car for some reason. Buy the best car you can and you will end up with the best car possible.
Bingo roadster36, you have nailed it. It's been said to "buy the best you can afford". I try to follow that.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #23
ora masters

36 this is the best 34 vicky i have found he took the seats out and took over 30 close up pictures floor pans all look good frame only has surface rust if any one knows where i can buy a better one please pm me are call 5573 243 8034 thanks ora
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #24
ora masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.m. View Post
ora, you have to start with what is will be worth after it's finished then how much your going to spend on parts etc and how much labor you will have in it at $5.00 an hour. You will lose at least $20,000 is my bet. G.m.
gm i would be building this car to be a nice looking driver not a high point show i will find out today what it will take to buy the car no it is not worth his asking price but worth lots more than model a fords which i have i would be duning a lot work myself if i took et to a high restoration shop you would loose way more than $20,000 i do not build cars to sell but to drive and enjoy thanks ora
Old 02-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #25
john in illinois

Here is one. do not know if it is still for sale. I found it with a 1 minute search on the internet. http://classiccars.com/listings/view...virginia-24505

Good luck,John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
Here is one. do not know if it is still for sale. I found it with a 1 minute search on the internet. http://classiccars.com/listings/view...virginia-24505

Good luck,John
That is the same one earlier in the post that the guy want's $24,000 for!!!!!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #27
TJ

Ora, I would certainly hope you are not buying that car over the phone without going to look at it. Photos help , but they can also not reveal all the problems.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #28
Kahuna

Now that one is a PROJECT.
I'm with TJ, go look at it in person
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #29
itslow

A lot of negative nancies on this thread. It's amazing that there are any cars still around given that very few seem to be interested in taking on anything beyond a project that requires a paint job and new upholstery. Body work? Forgeddaboutit.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #30
alchemy

That's because they can't do any real work. They have to hire it done, so it doesn't work out $$ wise.

If those were real "car guys" they would love to do the work themselves, and aren't worried about how many hours they put into it.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #31
roadster36
BANNED

simple addition is not something you have to "hire out".
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #32
39topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
That's because they can't do any real work. They have to hire it done, so it doesn't work out $$ wise.

If those were real "car guys" they would love to do the work themselves, and aren't worried about how many hours they put into it.
Get over yourself. Maybe these real "car guys" just don't have the experience, tools and a facility to work in. They still love the hobby and help keep it going.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #33
bobH

Quote:

I suppose This includes me. I used to think of myself as a car guy. I've put together a few, including my latest 34. For my next 34, I'm looking at alternatives. I'm not sure I have 8-10-15 years left, so I'm looking at hiring some work, or, maybe buy a complete, nice, running, driving car, and blow it apart to make it mine. Purists might cringe, but it's the least expensive and quickist way (for me). (I wouldn't be doing anything to compromise stock)
Yes, I'm worried about the time - if it involves more than just a few years.
As a point of background... I have the chassis of a 34 project I started more than 30 years ago. I'm beginning to be concerned about finishing that one.
just opinion... a point of view
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #34
34fordy

I believe it is great that some guys will restore a car to such beautiful newish condition--They are really beautiful--We all seek our own level for our own satisfaction--The 34 fordor I bought last fall is basically all original although the paint on the tops of the fenders is nearly gone and there are dings and scratches here and there--Original interior has some worn out areas and a big hole in the headliner--The best part is it is roadworthy--I can work on it without fender covers and our grandkids can sit and ride without any worries--We hope to make some memories this summer and maybe I will pass it on to some other guy next fall--Then if he or she wants to go the full route they can or just enjoy it like I do--The winter hasn't been so long as I have spent my time tinkering, cleaning away 80 year old grease and dirt and fixing some of the little things--What a pleasure!
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #35
TJ

Quote:

There are plenty of us that do our own work and I have built several cars from the ground up. Our comments are trying to help a guy save some money and time. If he wants to buy a project sight unseen and put himself through a bunch of work ,time, and potential grief then so be it. Your comment about guys that can't do their own work is totally unwarranted. You have no idea what we can or cannot do on our cars. You know what they say when you make assumptions. A lot of guys who have offered advise here do in fact do their own work. We speak from a lot of experience and we hope to help someone avoid pitfalls.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #36
ora masters

FRANK thanks for your PM i tried to send you one back but it did not work
Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #37
FrankWest

Buying a 1933/1934 ford is always a challenge. It would be great, if you could just decide on what you want and find it for sale, but that is never the case.; These cars seem to be hard to come by in almost any condition. In fact, when I started looking, I wanted to get a totally restored 1933, and boy am I lucky I didn't find one because I discovered that often these so called restored cars can be restored by people that don't know what the hell they are doing or produce quick cheaply done restorATIONS. Because, you never know the caliber of the person who did the restoration. so... often you are better off getting something that you ,like that needs work so that you can have the fun of doing it or agony either way you look at it. Make sure it is at least something you think you can handle or want to try handle.
But buying these cars is a great adventure....
You only live once.....If you are too careful, you will never do anything.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #38
Mike B

What I fing interesting, is no one asked ora what he can, or if he has to farm the work out.

How can anyone make assumptions that "don't buy it, will cost you XXXX more that it's worth"...etc...

Do we know if Ora ha s the skills to repair it?...or are we assuming he doesn't?

Hey, I'f I stumbled across a rust bucket 1933-henway, and asked "do you think this is a fair price?"..

I think there would two camps..

One saying, if you have a welder and time and can do the work...go for it...

Or

If you have to send the Henway out to get done, probably not a good idea.

All that said, guess I'll ask THE question,,,,

Ora, can YOU do the repairs needed?
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #39
roadster36
BANNED

I guess there are some of you out there with the last name of Drake, Carpenter,Lebaron Bonney, Dupont, etc. where you get your parts for free. You must also have chrome shops in your basements and spray booth's in your bedrooms. On the last few cars I did I bought kits from LeBarron Bonney- 2,500 bucks, at least 3,000 from Bob Drake,Carpenter, etc, chrome shop bills over 4,000 ('34 grilles alone are over 2,000 to plate if the grille is decent), paint and materials 2,000, engine parts 2,000, driveline and brake parts 500.00, glass at 500.00 and on and one and on. So here we are at close to 15K before any work has even begun and the "surprises" surface.On the 25K Victoria you are now at 40K before the compressor or welders are even warmed up. If you have metal work like floors, firewalls, etc. it adds even more. I saw a super nice Victoria on one of the TV auctions in the 70K range and there was a V8 Club winner on EBAY that sold in the 50K range. Both were stock and very high quality cars. I have seen them locally for less than 40K. My point is that doing it yourself is great if you admit the fact that you will be spending more money and time by doing it that way. The numbers do not lie. If you get enjoyment from it by all means have at it. Personally after several dozen car built over the years I do not need to prove my skills to anyone at this point and will gladly hand a job over to someone willing to accept payment for quality services rendered. Buying is cheaper than building. It has not always been that way but is the reality now. It would be nice to be qualified and competent do it all and not have to farm anything out. I have a quote on my shop wall somewhere " too bad those that know it all can't do it all". Anyone that says they can do a top quality job on a total restoration at home for less than they can purchase one for has been breathing too much Imron. Restoring tractors and properly restoring V8 Fords are two different things.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:22 PM   #40
Don

All those pic of same car?????