Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
Quigley1930

Default Greasing spring shackles

On both my A's not one spring shackle will take grease the length of the shackle. It comes out behind the front bar and the shackle itself. Is there an easy remedy for this. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem

Sewall Tyler
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Greasing spring shackles

May have old grease plugged. use a little heat-heat gun your choice to melt the old hard grease out. then try new?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Sewall,

A few descriptive details would help to make recommendations; for example:

1. Are they new shackles? or,

2. Are they old used shackles partially filled with maybe old caked grease where all of the petroleum volatiles have evaporated from the old grease & allowed the old grease to get as hard as a masonry brick? or,

3. Something else?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I thought the grease hole went through the center of the shackle and exited out the middle, so the grease should spread out to both ends of the spring eye. Are you sure the grease isn't taking this path?
Maybe some shackles run a different path?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
Quigley1930

On the Fordor I had the grease would come out both ends of the shackle. I'm assuming the shackles are as Tom describes. I may try some heat but the last time I checked that stuff burns I may take the fitting out and see if I can urn a wire in the hole that's supposed to be there.

Sewall
Old 08-24-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If the fitting is a press fit I'd try the heat before removing the fitting. Removing a press fit style may leave it a bit loose, and could also be hard to remove.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley1930 View Post
On both my A's not one spring shackle will take grease the length of the shackle. It comes out behind the front bar and the shackle itself. Is there an easy remedy for this. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem

Sewall Tyler
My Model A does the same thing. Some of the shackles have grease coming out the zerk end, some have grease come out the other end, but none of them has grease come out both ends when pumping new grease in them.

So, I asked one of the gurus in the club about this. He said the grease channel goes to the middle of the fitting, so there is plenty of grease in it. Basically, he said to not worry about it. He said that if they do wear out, we will replace them with new ones that do the exact same thing.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Quigley1930

Well, P.S., Daddy bought a brand new ccpu and I don't ever remembering him having to install new spring bushings so what you say may be true. After my brother turned it belly side up they were easy to grease then

Sewall
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Clem Clement

Sewall,
You could drive that heap in the river and let the water wash the springs out.(:>)
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
pat in Santa Cruz

I have seen this phenomenon many times. The grease exits the center, there is a groove for it to spread across the shackle. While its possible dried grease is preventing it from exiting one side or the other, I have even seen it on new shackles. Take 'em apart and odds are they are greasy all the way through. The grease gets around in there by shackle movement as well. I think it just tends to take the path of least resistance as an exit when its full. When I am concerned about a shackle taking grease, I not only grease it wheels on the ground, but I also place the frame on stands so the axles are suspended, forcing the shackle against the opposite side of the bushing and creating a space where it would normally rest. Then I shoot more grease in there to spread it in the wear area.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post
I have seen this phenomenon many times. The grease exits the center, there is a groove for it to spread across the shackle. While its possible dried grease is preventing it from exiting one side or the other, I have even seen it on new shackles. Take 'em apart and odds are they are greasy all the way through. The grease gets around in there by shackle movement as well. I think it just tends to take the path of least resistance as an exit when its full. When I am concerned about a shackle taking grease, I not only grease it wheels on the ground, but I also place the frame on stands so the axles are suspended, forcing the shackle against the opposite side of the bushing and creating a space where it would normally rest. Then I shoot more grease in there to spread it in the wear area.
I think Pat has it right. Always take the load off the bearing that you are trying to grease. When I was an apprentice, we even did this with multi-ton machines that had grease lubed bearings. FYI: ball and roller bearings do not need this treatment, just pump the grease in.

Just my opinion.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
Quigley1930

Pat I'm 'gonna try that. Clem I also tried your method for the rears but it didn't work to well. Probably shouldn't show this but what the hxxxxx

Sewall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelAinRiver10_2_05 003 (Small).jpg (101.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg ModelAinRiver10_2_05 010.jpg (135.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #13
Clem Clement

Sewell,
I know dear friend. I'm just stirring up some fun. Be Well
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post

I was thinking that applying a spring spreader to completely unload the shackles, when greasing, would help also.

Ain't so?

Last edited by Benson; 08-25-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #15
w.michael

OK, you can't just show us the pictures of how you wash your A and not explain how you decided to do it that way.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #16
Quigley1930

My water hose had a hole in it

Sewall
Old 08-25-2014, 11:44 PM   #17
Brentwood Bob

just grease the rear shackles. The first step out of the car was the worst part of the whole thing.
That would have sent me looking for some dry shorts.
Looks like the car came out alright.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #18
Quigley1930

I had stopped to open a gate. I applied the parking brake and the car was not moving at all when I got out. I opened the gate, turned aeound and the car was rolling back. I took one step and said no way! It rolled about thirty yards took a left for 30 more yards and in the creek she went. It was still running when I finally got there. It did ruin my homemade trunk and pushed the rear in under the window. I removed the rear back rest ant the metal just popped back in position. I did drain the diff. and cleaned both rear wheel assemblies. I was extremely lucky that it didn't roll over and also not three days later as we had a flood and the creek was over the banks.
I still have to open the gate but I now turn off the ignition and put it in 1st gear along with the brake.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #19
Brentwood Bob

They have a mind of their own.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote