Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #1
smittykid

Question Has anyone ever installed an exhaust whistle from Bratton's or Snyder's?

I'm looking at the exhaust whistles from Bratton's and Snyder's. Big difference in price-Brattons' $145/Snyder's $225 + adapter. It looks like the one from Bratton's fits on the tip of the exhaust pipe and the one from Snyder's (similar to an Aermore) mounts near the exhaust manifold.
I was wondering who out there may enlighten me on the performance of one or the other. I don't mind spending the extra bucks if it's going to be a much better preforming whistle. Thanks, Smitty
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Has anyone ever installed an exhaust whistle from Bratton's or Snyder's?

It is my opinion that 'Heat is Energy' when you are playing with one. The closer to the engine, the more heat and energy that is placed thru the air tubes. My Model-A Aermore whistle actually mounts onto the end of the exhaust manifold and the cut-out is there. The one on my Model-T is about half way down the exhaust pipe and it is not nearly as loud nor shrill. I guess it is really all about how much noise, --or belligerent you want to be with it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
DougVieyra

Default Re: Has anyone ever installed an exhaust whistle from Bratton's or Snyder's?

During the 1960's I had (still do, sitting on a shelf in basement) an original Aermore Exhaust Whistle (aka, 'Train whistle') mounted on my Phaeton. I loved the excitement that it gave both me and others when I blew it.

As Brent has said, it mounted (special fitting) between the end of the exhaust manifold and the beginning of the muffler flange. The originals came in three different sizes. The smaller size was required because of mounting/space issues.

I removed the Exhaust Whistle because of the constant hassle of having to re-adjust the exhaust clamp fittings. The weight of the whistle and its special iron 'adapter' aggravated a good fitting of the clamp, so it was constantly leaking, shortly after I had reworked the fitting of the clamp.

I really did like the whistle and its train sound, but removed it because of the constant leaking of the exhaust / muffler, So when I saw that Bratton's had 'A better Idea', I thought I might like to get his (Walt's) version of the 'Train Whistle'. I have not as yet done so, but it is on the 'back burner' . I think the 'end of tail pipe' version may mount better than the old version.

- Doug Vieyra, in Foggy Eureka, California - 50 degrees at 10 am
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
willobs

I purchased the cheap aftermarket one from Smith and Jones that fits on the rear of tail pipe, am very pleased is very loud and easy to install
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
pooch

How many USA states have outlawed multi-toned "horns" which include exhaust whistles ?

I know at least NSW over here has, dunno about other states.

Klaxons are still legal because they are original.

Last rego inspection, the mechanic, (about 45 ) said my klaxon was illegal, the boss (late 70/s ), said no, that is quite OK, it came with the car.

The hoons with the musical trumpets caused that law to be enacted here.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
How many USA states have outlawed multi-toned "horns" which include exhaust whistles ?

Last rego inspection, the mechanic, (about 45 ) said my klaxon was illegal, the boss (late 70/s ), said no, that is quite OK, it came with the car.

LOL Dad knew a guy that had those French horns on his Model "A" Ford and he also had a Rajo head on it. This guy like to drive on country roads where he would come up behind a slow-moving luxury sedan (a Packard, Marmon, etc.) and blow the "Ta-ta, ta-ta" horns. The driver in front of him would often pull over to let him pass, assuming it was a similar high end car, whereupon a cheap Model "A" Ford would rattle by him, with another horn blast. The luxury driver often got mad and tried to catch up with him but usually the Model A could eventually pull away from him with his souped-up engine.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
Dick Carne

Years ago we had one of each style - the Aermore that mounted before the muffler, and the kind I think that you referred to that goes on the end of the tailpipe. No comparison in my opinion - the Aermore was much louder and more "locomotive" sounding - perhaps because of its placement in front of the muffler. The other was very mild by comparison. With that said, the problem with the Aermore is that it seemed to require constant adjusting to keep exhaust leaks in line, and more times than one the spring on the activation lever was inadequate to fully open the valve in the cutout once it had been used. I suppose a stronger spring(s) would perhaps cure that issue, but we too removed it after a time because of the continual issue with exhaust leaks. Hope this helps.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post

Nah, I blame the Dukes of Hazzard.
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Joe K

I think in Cow Hampshire, unusual horns are allowed, but they can't be the primary horn for the car.

You still have to get an inspection and get the "now try the horn" so the Inspection Dude can verify you have a working, possibly original horn. (non-originality is a reason for not passing.)

"Waddya mean - Bermuda Bells WERE the original horn for my horse carriage."

Joe K
Old 08-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
BlueSunoco

Had an exhaust whistle that came on the Tudor years ago, screwed into the vacuum connection on the exhaust manifold, You pulled a piece of bailing wire to activate it. I think a J.C. Whitney part, and they called it a Wolf Whistle.

Tossed it in the trash, should have kept it!!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

BlueSunoco, I know you meant "intake" manifold. I can't believe you tossed your wolf whistle. I used to have a lot of fun with mine. I had to spray lube on the spinner quite often though, or it would quit working.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
BlueSunoco, I know you meant "intake" manifold. I can't believe you tossed your wolf whistle. I used to have a lot of fun with mine. I had to spray lube on the spinner quite often though, or it would quit working.
oops you -be-right Tom,,,, was the intake wasn't paying attention to what I typed!!!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #13
mhsprecher

A guy I know has a wolf whistle on his intake manifold. He says all Model As should have one. I have. I idea if they are still available.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
A guy I know has a wolf whistle on his intake manifold. He says all Model As should have one. I have. I idea if they are still available.
The delux wolf whistle used to cost $3.98 and is still available, but now costs $49.99.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
pooch

I had a wolf whistle early 70/s, it was an art to get it just right, or it sounded dumb.

Had to pull the wire /cord just right ..short then long then fade out .

This hoon has it all, although he needs some practice on the wolfie....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NgWHjc3IXo

Last edited by pooch; 08-26-2014 at 05:44 PM.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote