Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2024, 10:42 AM   #41
alexiskai

Default Re: Snyder's New Catalog Came...and a Warning!

If you look at the way Burtz designed his block, they started not from the spec sheet but by laser-scanning a NOS block. That gets a lot of the work out of the way. Then you correct errors and compare the model against the spec to see if they disagree. I agree with your basic idea but I think the ROI would be much higher if the person doing the design work had access to a big parts collection first and the Benson Library second.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 11:24 AM   #42
David in San Antonio

Default Re: Snyder's New Catalog Came...and a Warning!

The utopian CAD-to-part concept is appealing, and can currently be applied to some parts. The example of a bracket is apt. But any machining for flatness for mating parts, tapping threads, drilling internal passages (carbs for example), milling or lathe work as in threading a stud - these must still be done after the part blank is made. The business case is strong, though, and it’s being improved all the time, so who knows? Maybe we’ll be ordering brand new rotary shock absorbers built to exact Ford drawings, and have them delivered in 24 hours anywhere in the world including Australia and New Zealand, (the advanced 3-D printers are located in every major metropolitan area) at pleasingly low prices.
I’m particularly looking forward to precision 3-D printed sheet metal parts. The front fender sidemount wells on the Wretched Roadster are about ½” too narrow, so wrestling the spares in or out is a horrid task, even with no air in them. I’d gladly pay $100-$200 a pair for brand new fenders which would bolt up with no adjustment needed. Plug and play. I’d even pay an extra $100 if they were painted perfectly. And while we’re at it, I’d check the box for welting already glued in place (+$35).
There’s some shiny trim band (some cowl thing?) that’s impossible to find in good condition. That would be the answer to many prayers, if the forum is to be believed.
Wake me up when that catalog comes out.
Obviously, I’m kidding. I welcome further advances in automated build-on-demand technologies. I hope I’m around to enjoy it.
Alamo A’s Club

Last edited by David in San Antonio; 05-13-2024 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Clarify that the sarcasm was well-meaning.
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)