Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
rnch

Default On a '65 Galaxie should the "HOT" indicator light up when key is turned on?

When turning the key to the "on" position (not yet cranking the engine) of my 1965 Galaxie, the warning lights for oil, alt and cold light up. Turn the key to start up the engine and the oil and alt lights goes out immediately, the cold light goes out after a minute or so (90 here in New Orleans today).

The "HOT" light never lights up.

I have tried swapping bulbs with the alt and cold warning lights into the hot warning light socket; the changed bulbs lights up as it should in the alt and cold sockets ok.

The bulb socket for the hot light looks ok, feels springy and tight, just like the other idiot lights do.

Does the "HOT" light only light up when excessive engine water temperature happens....and not at all at start up?

Since I enjoy the c-c-cold factory air conditioning in this car and New Orleans has long, hot & humid, extended summers and this car doesn't have a water temperature gauge, I am wondering about the "HOT" light not coming on, even before start up.

Wadduathunk?

rnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
rnch

Default Re: On a '65 Galaxie should the "HOT" indicator light up when key is turned on?

Since both the "cold" and the "hot" warning lights operate off the same intake manifold mounted sensor unit; I assume that if the "cold" light is working so should the "hot" light work (if ever needed)?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
packrat5
BANNED

Default Re: On a '65 Galaxie should the "HOT" indicator light up when key is turned on?

That is the way it's supposed to work.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
TedEaton

You can check the 'hot' light by grounding the terminal at the sensor. My Fairlane has both the cold and hot lights and only the cold light works with the key switch in the 'on' position before starting the engine.
TedEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #5
bobss396

Any old Ford I had, only the cold light came on, never the hot on turning the key.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
rnch

Thanks for your responses! Ya'll have reassured my somewhat paranoid mind about the hot light.

IDK why I was worried about it. Judging by the felt-in-the-face under hood temperatures and the normal inch or so rise of coolant in the (after market) radiator overflow tank, this engine never over-heats.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:37 PM   #7
craig

The one on my 66 galaxie only lit the cold light when turning on the key. The hot did come on once when the thermostat stuck
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #8
hardlyrider

For what it's worth, early cars with "idiot" lights only lit up when needed. The "alt" and "oil" lights illuminate prior to every start because there is no current and no oil pressure. You'll notice the "cold" light doesn't come on prior to starting when the engine is already warm. So, the adverse is true for the "hot" light. At some point a manufacturer, (IDK which first) devised a way for all indicator/warning lights to illuminate while cranking as a validation test that the bulb was good. Hence (probably), the confusion. All manufacturers followed. It may have been an Uncle Sam intrusion.
hardlyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #9
Ford blue blood

Except Edsels. The 58 Edsel Pacer I have has a relay that lights up the hot light when the switch is turned on. Go to the start position and it goes out and stays out.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote