Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
NCDave

Default 30 Tudor owner, new to this forum

Hello, I'm newly-registered here after lurking for a while off and on, and finally decided to sign-on. I'm in eastern North Carolina in a small farming community. I have a 1930 Tudor "driver", that I have owned for many years, but it never will be a show car, as I am not into that realm. It was a local friend's car when I was a boy, and I used to go with him and his son to hunt on it (cold rides to the woods and back), and it was that owner's son's college jalopy back in the 50's. The Tudor is a survivor, and the owner's shed was collapsing around it when he offered to sell it to me at long last. Having admired it for years, I was thrilled to get it.

When I acquired the car, it was brush-painted some kind of lime green with yellow wheels, and it had not run for about 15 years. I had the engine rebuilt and did some basic running gear restoration and a less-than-perfect black paint job with creme wheels via rattle can (at least it is not lime green anymore!). It has been a local fun vehicle over the years but it remains in need of an interior and good paint, and more frequent use now that I have overcome some health problems.
Being a fairly poor mechanic, I had work done by old-timer mechanics here who were familiar with the Model A; also, I was a subscriber to the club magazines for years, and am glad to find this forum now.
Another current local friend is now helping me get it going again after being stored for about four years. May get a pretty woman to drive it in some parades later in the year, once we deem it dependable. It will only be driven on less-heavily-traveled country roads...no four-lanes.

Wheel paint is needed, and my research here and otherwise indicates that a March 30 car should have black wheels. I am trying to stay original with it, with a few minor exceptions. Thankfully, I did not go with my boyhood dream of a chopped, dropped, and butchered hot rod.

I confess to using mostly J.C. Whitney parts back in my early efforts, but thankfully discovered Snyder's since then and have used them since. They give great service. I see that Bratton's, Bert's and a few others come well-recommended here, too.

Current personal debate is whether it is worth it to replace the old tires bought about 25 years ago, but still rolling; and it has a jackleg metal top section that I hope to replace with an original kit. Advice and guidance is most appreciated from those of you who are willing to offer such to me!

Photo attached, taken at a friend's house. License tag is an old one, not current.

Thanks. David

Last edited by NCDave; 09-25-2014 at 12:53 PM. Reason: clarification
NCDave is offline   Reply With Quote