Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Mike in NRN IN

Default Rodent Control

I got home yesterday and after several sub freezing days decided I absolutely had to winterize the Coupe.

I have been too busy to do this before now, and to be honest could not remember if I had antifreeze or plain water in the cooling system (turns out I never changed out the antifreeze from last winter.)

I started the car, and it fired right up, ran a bit rough and required nearly two full turns open on the GAV. After it warmed up, it smoothed out nicely and I was able to close down the GAV to about 1/8th open.

I added some Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas and let the car run until I could see the pinkish color in the fuel bulb.

While the car sat idling, I put the manifold heater on (you never know when a ride is possible!). As I was standing on passenger side, I started to rev the engine at the carb - not too hard, just enough to get the speed up.

I heard a most interesting sound from the exhaust - it was like a blurble sound, "blurb a blurb a blurb a." So I ran up the engine again and it changed into a slightly up pitched "blurb a blurb a blurb a blurb." - followed by a "fluhmmm" sound.

That's when I saw the airborne mouse hit the side of the Jeep parked behind the Coupe and watched as it fell to the ground dead.

As part of my 'normal' winter storage routine, I usually put a wad of coarse steel wool in the end of the tail pipe.

Needless to say, it's in there now.

Happy motoring and stay warm.

Have a blessed and safe Thanksgiving.
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote