Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
ford-m

Default 29 Rumble lid

Hi all, who is stamping these out in the USA these days and in your opinion who has the best one. I need one for a 29 and another for 31 Roadster.
Also who has the best price vs quiality.
Thanks.
ford-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: 29 Rumble lid

I have put a Brookville 31 lid on my cabriolet. They do the job, but if you like great fit and function then you may not be 100% pleased with the fit. If you are not super picky they do a pretty good job.

They work ok, but are not perfect. I needed to relocate the position of the latch to get the front edge to be level with the upper panel. You have to use the repro hinges. I suggest you install the repro brackets on your body and measure the distance between them and have them check the lid before they send it to you. Mine was way too narrow and the repro hinges do not take any side force before breaking.

After installation you need to set the shape of the lid to the body. If you look at an original lid you will find 4 welds locking the shape of the lid. So one person is inside the body with a welder and the other is outside holding the shape of the lid. The person inside then tacks the lid to hold the position.

The major differences from and original lid that need to be considered.

The bends around the edges are not as clean as a factory lid.
The bottom edge is straight across, the original has the corners a bit shorter. This increases the chances of the corners chipping the paint from hitting the lower rear panel. This is worse if you have a repro lower panel as it has a straight edge on the top.
If you look at enough car at the shows you will know the ones with repro panels because of the chipped paint in the lower corners of the rumble lid.

A final reminder. If you end up with an original lid then get original hinges and life will be better. If you have a repro lid then get repro hinges, life will not be great but original hinges do not work well with the repro lid. At least that is my experience.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
THEOZON

Default Re: 29 Rumble lid

I have a extra original lid in excellent shape. Will part with.
THEOZON is offline   Reply With Quote