Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
supergnat

Default What kit for a Holley carb?

I plan to rebuild the carburetor on my 28 Leatherback this winter. My car has a Holley carb. I haven't seen any kits for the Holley in the catalogs of the Model A parts houses. Does anyone make a kit for the Holley used on 28 Model A's?
Thanks,
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
85930tudor

Send a message via Yahoo to 85930tudor
Default Re: What kit for a Holley carb?

I used a zenith kit on mine..Dave
85930tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
MAG

Zenith style Model A carbs. were manufactured by three companies, Zenith, Holley and Ford. All parts are identical and are completely interchangeable.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

If it has the original numbered jets you will be a lot better off to keep and use them. I replace the gaskets and sometimes the float valve and needle driver and housing. if the other parts are in good condition I use them also Sometimes it is necessary to either replace or build up the throttle shaft with
solder. sometimes it will be necessary to set up the upper housing in a drill press and drill so as to be able to install bushings for the throttle shaft. Zenith made the Zenith 1 Holley Made the Zenith 2 . Ford held the rights and he could have them made wherever he chose. Both use the same parts. The early double venturi carbs used some different jets and of course a different venturi There were other changes such as some had a removeable needle adjusting seat and others had a removeable secondary well. I have never needed to replace either.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Two different sizes for the adjustment needle housing were used. If you care to be correct for the time period, then you can check the J/S or Bratton's, or Service Bulletins. I don't remember where I read it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
supergnat

Thanks for all the good information Barners. From what I've read I should disassemble and inspect my carb before I actually order a kit. I may only need the kit with the gaskets.
Thanks again,
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
Richard Lorenz

Unless I missed it, the Standards do not mention the 2 different GAV needle housings.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I've noticed that some can be removed with a 7/16 wrench and some are metric or some oddball size. I think that the repro needle housing is different but off the top of my head I don't know which is which. I think that somebody posted pictures the other day of two different thicknesses of original adjusting needle seats.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Richard Lorenz

My memory is that the early one was 10 mm hex, and then they changed to 7/16 hex. My guess is that the smaller 10mm one was getting all chewed up during removal, and they changed to the slightly larger 7/16. Another guess is that was done at the same time that a flat area was put on the boss that holds the choke stop pin. The flat may have given enough room that a deep socket could have been used on the housing hex. Removing metal from the choke pin boss is something else that I have not found in the Standards.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

I had to file out a 6 point 10 mm box wrench to fit the smaller size, and I use a 6 point 7/16" box wrench for the larger size. The GAV housings can be very tight, so I would recommend ONLY using a 6 point box wrench on them, or a very deep socket.

I think it was A&L or Bratton's that listed the two sizes for the GAV brass housing. Yep, I just looked in Bratton's and they sell the two sizes, 7/16", and 13/32".
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote