Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
TnA

Default wood patterns

after doing a thorough search and coming up empty, Im hoping someone here can help me. Im planning on re doing the wood on my 28 2dr. sedan. the down side of this is that some of the pieces are missing. Does someone here have patterns or know where a fella can aquire patterns for the wood? I prefer to make my own as I am a woodworker and have the tools and the wood for the job. thanks ,Bruce
TnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
ford1

Default Re: wood patterns

type FORDWOOD in your search box
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1 View Post
type FORDWOOD in your search box
Fordwood is a vendor of wood kits and you will be able to find the names of pieces you are missing. I'm sorry but there are no wood plans for your tudor, as a matter of fact i think plans are only available for the Vicky through the International Victoria Association.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
ericr

Somehow people obtain copies of various engineering diagrams from the Ford Archives, would they have something like this?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

What pieces are you looking for???
You can buy wood kits.I just bought a complete body kit from classic wood 336-691-1344 out of greensboro. n.c. the wood from there was great fit like a glove...they also sell pieces
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Somehow people obtain copies of various engineering diagrams from the Ford Archives, would they have something like this?
I got a single page from there showing the pieces and I think part numbers, but no dimensions. I wonder where I put it though.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Terry, NJ

I am doing this also. I'm a former Tool and Die maker and I felt qualified to do this. I would get myself an old vernier caliper and try to hold sizes within .010 (1/100) I'm using the original ash. I'd say, duplicate what you can and buy the rest, but it ain't cheap! I just paid $240+ for a R.R. two piece door pillar. I have no experience with Fordwood. It was bought from Classic wood in NC. Steve Cannon is a good guy to deal with. I got it two days after I ordered it
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

a tudor top wood kit costs 293.00 comes with everything above the doors
the body wood is 445.00
probably cheaper than making it yourself and dont forget to count your labor hours manufacturing it
Old 08-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
TnA

thanks fellas, I might clarify my situation. there is no way I would buy a wood kit. or a single piece. Nor would I ask someone else to paint , upholster, wire, or test drive my car.lol To me , it is the journey, not the destination As for lots of labor to make a kit, heck Im retired and in the shop every day. and as stated I have ample hard woods left over after years of furniture making. Im just finnishing a woody teardrop and I am going to get to the A this fall. I may hafta fudge on some of the pieces , however it wuold be nice to make the wood as Henry had it . Ive built a couple A hot rods in the past and this time Im a little more old school, not a restorer, just wanting to go by Henrys blue print as opposed to doing a one of my own. thanks for the help.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

let me know what you are looking for i saved mostly all my old pieces from my 30 tudor. not sure what is the same or different than a 28
Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Hicktick

TNA , go to the top of the page , a sticky thread with all the web sites.

Click on the link for MAFFI and do some searching .
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
duncrd

I could see myself in the same situation in future. I hope you find some patterns and please share what you find.
duncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
griffincat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnA View Post
thanks fellas, I might clarify my situation. there is no way I would buy a wood kit. or a single piece. Nor would I ask someone else to paint , upholster, wire, or test drive my car.lol To me , it is the journey, not the destination As for lots of labor to make a kit, heck Im retired and in the shop every day. and as stated I have ample hard woods left over after years of furniture making. Im just finnishing a woody teardrop and I am going to get to the A this fall. I may hafta fudge on some of the pieces , however it wuold be nice to make the wood as Henry had it . Ive built a couple A hot rods in the past and this time Im a little more old school, not a restorer, just wanting to go by Henrys blue print as opposed to doing a one of my own. thanks for the help.

I totally understand. I am in the same boat as you with the wood issue. While most people want to buy the kits, I feel very confident and qualified to make it myself. I do not have the metal and body skill others do, but have woodworking skills I would like ot use. I am surprised that with all of the work people have done on A's that there has not been a plan book made, to sell the wood patterns. I would think many people would pay decent money for the pattterns and attempt themselves. Like you said, it is not about the time or money, but the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
griffincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
partridgekelley

Many years ago I bought a set of wood blueprints from Rick's in ShawneeMission,Kansas. I don't know if they are still in business or still sell prints. I do still have the wood blueprints for a 28/29 c/c pick-up. I have copied them for guys needing and will to help keep our A's on the road.
Good luck , Gary
partridgekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #15
Richard Wilson

Back in the 70's I made all new wood for a 1930 coupe. I used oak shipping pallets that I got for free for the wood source. I only had basic hand tools, not even an electric drill or sander. The window mouldings and upholstery fit the installed wood perfect. I made my own patterns.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
ScottNW/Ohio

Kits still require "tweeking" at least the one I bought for the pick-up did (which they warn in the instructions)
I'd like to find patterns for my '28 Tudor as well - I'm looking at $600/700 to 're-wood'
what will be a 'driver' - I have everything to make my own, except the paterns - all my wood is gone, except for the door posts and they are almost gone.
I don't know where the parts houses get their kits - how much does the quality vary between suppliers ?
ScottNW/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
TnA

well, a little update on wood patterns for my project. i went and purchased another 28 2 dr. body that happened to have some of the wood that was gone on my first body. now all I need is the top wood patterns. I have either red oak or eastern maple in quantity . My plans are to make at least two sets of pieces . and as the pieces are fit , I will have the patterns available to this forum [my contribution] perhaps somone has some top pieces [ patterns] avilable to me as this seems the only hurdle left for me jump. thanks fellas. Bruce
Old 09-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
Terry, NJ

In my case, some of the wood was so far gone, I couldn't get any dimensions from it. It is a 4 dr Town sedan and they have a virtual lumberyard
in there. Very, very little of it has any square corners, edges, abuting ends, or mortises. Some, not very much could be matched to the tin. My advice wouldbe to avoid using any oak. Henry used mostly Ash. I don't know why, but British car makers scrupiously avoided oak in the manufacture of their cars, dispite the prevalence of the wood. They prefered ash too.
I have found some maple and walnut in my car. People were much more knowlegible about the various woods and their qualities in Henry's day than today. Good luck!
Terry

Quote:
well, a little update on wood patterns for my project. i went and purchased another 28 2 dr. body that happened to have some of the wood that was gone on my first body. now all I need is the top wood patterns. I have either red oak or eastern maple in quantity . My plans are to make at least two sets of pieces . and as the pieces are fit , I will have the patterns available to this forum [my contribution] perhaps somone has some top pieces [ patterns] avilable to me as this seems the only hurdle left for me jump. thanks fellas. Bruce
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
George Miller

Quote:
I'm with you, any one can buy things. The fun is in making and doing every thing on your car. You get a real sense of accomplishment.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote