Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
anteek

Default B engine revisited

I posted earlier about a B engine I found. the owner will let me open it up if I regasket it. Will an A gasket set work;pan and head? Where is the block most likely to be cracked? It will take 500 plus to buy it so I want to proceed carefully. I've messed with A's for over 40 years and this is the first b engine I've found here in Florida.
anteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: B engine revisited

The cracked"B" blocks I have all are cracked from #2,and #3 exhaust seat to toward the cylinder

the head gasket, and pan gasket are different, but it also depends on any modifications that were made (possibly 2 water holes plugged so "A" head can be used)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Gord. B by the bay

Would someone explain to me why we have to plug to water passages when using an A head? I am running two B engines with Brumfield 5.9 heads and a mondel B gaskets and in 50,000 I have had no problems, seepage or overheating etc. I do not understand.
Gord. B by the Bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
ursus

On the B it is very important to check inside the valve chamber for evidence of rust, especially in the roof area which has thin casting and is where a whole web of cracks can form.

I also second Gordon's query about the practice of plugging the two holes: could this be one of those things that are based more on faith and custom than on reason?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord. B by the bay View Post
Would someone explain to me why we have to plug to water passages when using an A head? I am running two B engines with Brumfield 5.9 heads and a mondel B gaskets and in 50,000 I have had no problems, seepage or overheating etc. I do not understand.
Gord. B by the Bay
The key words are "when using an A head". It is not a problem with most of the high compression heads due to the shape of the combustion chamber.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Gord. B by the bay

Thanks Charlie I learned something today Many Thanks for the explanation Gord. B by the Bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord. B by the bay View Post
Thanks Charlie I learned something today Many Thanks for the explanation Gord. B by the Bay

Gordon,

Vince Falter has info on his site:

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/brumfieldheadgasket.htm
towards the end of page is shows the steam holes very close to the edge of the gasket although the discussion is about the Felpro 7014 and not the 7013 gasket it illustrates the gasket and steam hole problem.

ALSO: This link right above the URL I mentioned (is down right now) but if I remember correctly it explains more info:

LINK title is "Model A & B Head Gasket Details, Brands, Types, &Applications"

When Vince fixes it ... it might be worth checking it out.

Last edited by Benson; 01-15-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
columbiA

I have a 33 B engine w/a 5.9 Brumfield head.I used the recomended Fel-Pro 7013-R3 gasket.I noticed the 2 extra small holes near center head stud were very near the fire ring on the gasket.I tapped those holes to 1/8"pipe & installed allen plugs so that when tight,were just above flush with deck.Then,I filled holes in plugs with JB Weld & filed flat to deck surface.No problems in 13,000 miles.Some times you might get away without plugging the holes,but I wouldnt want to take the chance.I know Snyders recomends the B gasket,but Brumfield recomends the 7013-R3 gasket.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteek View Post
I posted earlier about a B engine I found. the owner will let me open it up if I regasket it. Will an A gasket set work;pan and head? Where is the block most likely to be cracked? It will take 500 plus to buy it so I want to proceed carefully. I've messed with A's for over 40 years and this is the first b engine I've found here in Florida.
which gasket you choose depends on the head, not the block. An A head uses an A gasket. A police head,(aka "big B" head), C head ( which is actually a stock b head) and Snyder uses a B gasket. As mentioned above, a Brumfield uses a Felpro A gasket. Given the various different manufacturers you should always lay any gasket you choose on the head to ensure the fire ring fits before using it.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
Jim Brierley

Columbia is right, you may get away with it. The holes need to be plugged to support the gasket. In the old days most high compression heads were made to fit the A block that had no holes there, plus this configuration allowed free-er flow of gas between the cyl. and the valves. As the years have gone by many blocks have erosion around these holes, and the gasket can easily blow out.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote