Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Steve Ciccalone

Default Old Cars Banned...Time to Educate the Younger Generations

The thread below indicates why it is vitally important to get young people exposed to our hobby. Why the validity of the CA state senator's comments may be in question, we all are aware of attempts in many states to impose restrictions on folks who like antique vehicles whether these be "junk car" laws, licensing/titling difficulties, etc., etc.

Many kids today are more interested in getting more decibels out of their stereos than horsepower out of their engines. I feel all of us need to be involved whether individually or collectively to encourage the kids so that future generations will develop the same enthusiasm we share for old vehicles. Very soon, not only will they be a large percentage of the voters but also the legislators. If they are unaware or at best ambivalent, it will become easier for a few zealots to actually propose and get enacted a wide variety of laws and regulations that will turn our vehicles into "flower pots." I'm 58 and have more time now for my junk. I'd like to enjoy them for as long as I can before time takes its toll.

Young people are constantly bombarded with today so many "green" opinions and initiatives that I'm concerned that a time will come where they may view internal combustion engines as the "machines of the devil", making it possible that some of these current absurd proposals will become reality.

Whenever I see a kid with his/her head under a hood, I always try to stop and give them a verbal pat on the back and a smile. After all, we want them to be the caretakers of the stuff we now have, as we did from past owners, as opposed to being potential scrappers of it.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Dennis/Arkansas

Default Re: Old Cars Banned...Time to Educate the Younger Generations

I agree that it's very important to get the young uns actively involved in our hobby. I was very encouraged by the 14 year old who posted about working on a pickup with his Dad. I would imagine there are currently very few young people involved with the Ford Barn. The median age here on the Barn must be approaching ancient, myself included! Get your own kid or a neighbor kid involved. Dennis/Arkansas

Last edited by Dennis/Arkansas; 06-08-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Dennis/Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

Trying my best to keep my 16 year old daughter involved, not easy at that age. I think she may become the owner of the 38 pu if we can wip it into any sort of drivable shape. Likely will be bringing it from the farm to the house in town later this summer. Need to get it looking abit better before then so the city does not complain. Also still having an issue with getting the title from the guy, seems if he can not find it in his files he may not provide it. At that point I will have to see if I can find the numbers on the frame since it appears the trans has been changed at some point, and then do a title search through the state to find records of it so he can get a duplicate to sign over. Rod
Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Ross in East Texas

Send a message via AIM to Ross in East Texas

I agree, we all need to find a young person to mentor in the fine art of owning a Flathead
Old 06-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Displayman

We got our 20 year old grandson in love with old cars.
We have 65 gto convert., 67 gto sport coupe, 38 chevy pick up,
47 merc. convert. His favorites are the 38 & 47.
He wants to save up a and build one.
Loves tinkering on them with his Papa.

Bob- Hampshire, IIlinois
Displayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
J.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Trying my best to keep my 16 year old daughter involved, not easy at that age. I think she may become the owner of the 38 pu if we can wip it into any sort of drivable shape. Likely will be bringing it from the farm to the house in town later this summer. Need to get it looking abit better before then so the city does not complain. Also still having an issue with getting the title from the guy, seems if he can not find it in his files he may not provide it. At that point I will have to see if I can find the numbers on the frame since it appears the trans has been changed at some point, and then do a title search through the state to find records of it so he can get a duplicate to sign over. Rod
Rowdy, your V.I.N. number is on the Frame Rail top side front by the steering box. If its been sitting for awhile you will need a wire brush to clean off the deposits. Once you have done that take a damp cloth and rub it over the now cleaned up area, and the numbers should become very clear, don't give up they are there.
How are things in the Pony Express Town? Been there a few times on my way through to the Pan Handle.
By the way got this little guy in front of my pickup very interested in old trucks, cars & tractors. He is 3 1/2 now but is on his way and hope he sticks with it.
One thing that really bothers me is that here in Canada the children have to have a restraining seat. They have to be buckled in, yet he can ride a School Bus, or a Train with no restrictions. I still can't figure that one out. Anyway the wife and I took him on a round trip 5 mile drive in the old truck, and reached a top speed of between 5-10 mph on a gravel back road. When I told my daughter she hit the roof, and now he can no longer ride in the truck.
So how do you keep a child interested if they cannot participate. I'm getting up in years and just love to share my hobby with him, but the authorities won't allow it. In the picture is the road we were on, and no traffic. Just another step toward the end of the hobby.

Last edited by J.W.; 06-12-2010 at 12:34 PM.
J.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #7
hbleadsled

JW, nice story ,I am sure she will ease up a little if you put a child seat with restraining straps in. its a law in Ca. good luck. Harold, Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
Ross in East Texas

Send a message via AIM to Ross in East Texas

I believe that you should tell your daughter to just lighten up and get realistic! My gosh, it isn't like you were tooling around on the LA freeway in rush hour traffic! I have had to line out our daughters in the past so I can sympathize with you.
I well remember the first time I took my Grandson for a ride on a Cushman. I thought my daughter would vapor lock but, she got over it and he grew up to enjoy riding Cushman's with his Grandfather.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Byron Warwick

I have not had any problems with taking our grandkids for rides in our cars without seatbelts in Ontario. We have both a 1954 MG TF and the 1934 Pickup.It is my understanding that if I do not have seat belts in them, then thay can ride just like we do. Have never been stopped even with one of them in my wife's lap in the MG. Byron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0658.jpg (66.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0030.jpg (70.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
britman

Young people should be taught the importance of liberty no matter what the context. This is serously lacking in our education system in our time and it shows.
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Rowdy
BANNED

Things are good here. Glad to see the little one is interested in the hobbie. It gets harder to keep them interested during the teenage years. We have the same law here about the seat. I discussed this with a lawyer several years back when I still had my 62 Unibody pickup which did not have seat belts and was old enough not to require them or enforce the use of them. I was basicly told I would have to install a seatbelt for the seats or not take them anywhere in it. I never istalled them and continued taking them in it , never got a ticket because of the way the seatbelt law reads in this state. Basicly most police officers said that I could not be forced to use something that was not required by law for me to have and a child restraint would be useless without seatbelts. Never did have to go to court with it, but did have some indepth discussions with police officers. Rod
Old 06-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
skip
Banned

Al Gore tried to pass a law that after so many years, your car/title/was to be void and the car towed to the crusher. Liberalism at it's finest. He couldn't find anyone to sign on to that one. It's like New York flooding because the Ice Cap melts...the Ice Cap that is already floating in the ocean. The fool has not learned or understood basic earth science yet. Ice expands when frozen. Takes up less room as water then as ice.

skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
Jack E/NJ

Earth Science 101. Ice caps, sheets & glaciers sit atop land, not float in the ocean. They're currently the world's largest ice masses and tie up most of the world's fresh water. Icebergs float on the oceans but so far don't amount to much fresh water. If large portions of the ice cap were to melt & break away from land, sea levels would indeed rise due to the influx of huge volumes of melt water & continent-size icebergs. The big danger here of course is that old fords might be inundated if they couldn't be driven to higher ground due to being banned from the highways. End of lesson. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
Blessyouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
Al Gore tried to pass a law that after so many years, your car/title/was to be void and the car towed to the crusher.
Do you have a source for this claim?
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #15
55 dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessyouboys View Post
Do you have a source for this claim?
X2!
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #16
46 ford

hey j.w. is that a 46? it looks like it could be. im working on a 46 with my dad.