Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
Pilotdave

Default Couple of Brake Repair Questions

The brake lever in one brake rocks a bit in its bushings. Any guidance on how loose the brake lever can be in the bushings before the bushings should be replaced? I haven't found anything in the Service Bulletins nor in Les Andrews book. I'm tempted to just replace them as I have the backing plates off the car - that way I'll know they're okay.

Second question.... is there a way to remove the rear wheel backing plates from the car with the radius rods still in place? It's academic now as I have removed them after losing this fight with the first backing plate unit! But I am curious as Les Andrews doesn't mention the radius rods nor how one "...lifts the backing plate off the car for further disassembly...".
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Aerocraft

Default Re: Couple of Brake Repair Questions

I have always removed the radius rods since it seems like a Chinese torture drill to try to get the plates out with the rods still attached.

I would suggest that you replace the bushings and both levers since you have the backing plate off. If you don't replace the emergency levers, consider drilling them for a grease fitting.

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Pilotdave

Gar, good idea re: grease fitting on the e-brake levers. My sense is to replace anything that can wear as other indications are that these brakes haven't been taken apart in a LONG time.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
columbiA

Its easy to remove rear backing plates if you snap the service brake lever forward till its horizontal,then it can be wiggled out.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
Jim Parker Toronto

I'm with Areocraft on this one. You can wiggle them off, but they have to back on and that ain't fun! It's easy enough to undo one more bolt, and then put it back in.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
pat in Santa Cruz

Lateral cam shaft movement translates into pedal slop. I replace bushings and shafts on service brakes if I detect any slop. Theres no harm in having the best brakes you can get. To avoid removing the radius arms I use the same method as suggested by columbiA . Remove the shoes, then snap the service lever forward, and snake it out between the radius forks. If getting the radius arms back in place turns out to be seemingly impossible, you can loosen the torque tube at the differential as well as the rods at the forward bolt. Get all the bolts loosely in place first and then tighten it all up.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Pilotdave

Thanks for the ideas. I must say that I tried every possible combination of the service lever and emergency lever positions - no joy. Perhaps if I had removed the emergency brake lever.....
I'm planning to replace the bushings and shafts - it'll be a while before I'm back in there, and there's no point to not replacing them.
I now have all 4 brake units out of the car. All of the tracks are worn - plan to weld them up and grind down to spec. Will have the backing plates all sand blasted before that - there's a local fellow who takes a lot of care and can be relied on to clean only the surfaces I want done.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #8
Jim Parker Toronto

I would not bother welding up the tracks. For the same money or less you can purchase new ones and have them installed. Then you know they are correct! At the same time you can add a grease fitting to the E-brake lever!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote