View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
RockHillWill

Default Re: Production Codes

This has been a much discussed issue for years. I have looked at and or handled over 240 starter and generator band in the the last 4 years. Not all the bands that I have looked at have had the numbers on them, but those that did were marked in the same size and the same 'font' and usually quite pronounced.

It seems to be common knowledge that J='29, K='30 and that L= '31. I have seen at least (2) 'M's.

The numbers and the letters were stamped in a position that is across the band width as opposed to the long way, but It interesting to me that the letter did not always precede the number, or vice versa. While they all seem to appear across the band 'width', they do not always read the same. Some are up side down.

The real issue seems to be weather this was actually a 'Ford' issue / requirement or a supplier issue. Last month I was at a table next to a gentleman at the Benson research center when he excitedly leaned over to me and showed me a Ford drawing that had a note on it instructing the suppliers to date these bands in this manner.

Just a thought!