View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #22
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Car died 2 blocks from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Hmm, "sediment" build up thick/heavy enough to "short out" the battery?
You seem to assume the bottom plate is inches away from the bottom of the battery case. What if it is only 1/4 inch or less?

Quote:
How fast did you turn that corner in order to move that much sediment? Did you then make a hard left turn to move the sediment back in place?
It was a hard right off the main drag and I was probably going 25-30mph. I did need to make a soft left coasting into a parking spot, but 30 seconds later, the sediment apparently settled enough to allow the engine to start right up again.
Quote:
With so much plate material laying in the bottom of the battery, how was it able to pass a load test?
It did pass a load test and the battery would also start the car without fail. However, the engine died on a turn more than once, probably due to sediment bunching up opposite the direction of the turn, shorting out the battery. It is not possible to simulate the inertia experienced on a turn during a load test.
Quote:
I suspect that the problem was elsewhere and you bumped a wire or connection while R&R'ing the battery.
I checked all the battery connections including the battery to ignition switch connection the first time it happened. All battery cables, wiring and connections were clean, tight and in pristine condition.
I have not had any problem since replacing the battery and I have made the exact same turn at the grocery store parking lot several times since then many times. I have absolutely no doubt that the old battery was shorting out on turns.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)