View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 11:22 PM   #86
GB SISSON

Default Re: 276 stroker from 35 years of parts

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
The ones on the left is what i am familiar with. Don't think I've ever run across the ones on the right in all of the engines I have disassembled.
Thanks Jack, That's exactly what I needed to know. I have lots of those and can now cross them off my list. Next I am looking at guides and lifters. I just ran another batch of ford lifters through a carb dip bath. They vary somewhat in height. What strikes me about the 50 or so used factory lifters I have looked at so far is the bottoms all look excellent to the eye. Light swirly pattern if any, nothing that looks like wear or a dish. They are obviously extremely hard. Tops like new also. Some scuffing on sides, but like the bottoms, just a visual. Nothing you can feel with a fingernail. My ford service repair manual says to replace them if they measure less than.998 dia or 1.710 in height. Book is from 1947. so this may have changed with 8ba.
My thought here is a carefully measured original ford part that is still in good condition is most likely a better piece than something made for the lowest price possible from unknown materials. Thoughts on checking lifters? Thanks, GB
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-17-2024 at 11:33 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote