Thread: Rear Brakes
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 08:59 PM   #18
Synchro909

Default Re: Rear Brakes

While you have it apart, check the bearing surface in the hub. They have a habit of wearing through the hardening out at the axle nut end. Once they wear, the rear wheel doesn't stand vertical any more - they lean in at the top. That puts a huge bending force on the axle itself and as the wheel turns, that force cycles through 360 degrees with each turn of the wheel. Eventually, the axle fails due to the fatigue this causes. When a Model A breaks a rear axle, it is always at about the inner end of the bearing, just where you'd expect it to be once you understand this.
As usual, nothing should be treated in isolation. Everything affects other components around it.
If the hardening is worn through in the hub, repair it. There are kits available to do that. One involves the use of rollers from the V8 wheel bearings but from what I have read here and other places, the quality of those can be questionable. Do your research and only buy quality here is my advice.