View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 08:01 PM   #6
Joe K

Default Re: Upper Front floorboard reinforcements?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
My recollection is that Ford switched from doweled planks (Bob C's drawing) to plywood for the floorboards somewhere early in production??? My E30 Town Sedan (original floorboards until I replaced them, I believe) had plywood.
The swap over from "dovetailed" board (so called Linderman Construction) to plywood was done more or less with the transfer to the 30-31 Models.

The boards (and their metal reinforcements) are pictured in the book "How to Restore Your Model A" Volume 6. page 36. (Article "Authentically Speaking" by Klein)

The Linderman construction seemingly was made up of "scraps", hardwood possibly ash or maple, and incorporated an edge/length dovetail that went the width of the board left to right. From extant boards of my ownership it's apparent that the construction was done "en-masse" with probably long planks of board material being made to width, and then floorboards cut from that. End-joints of the stock appear to have occurred with no planned regularity, but was probably determined more from the scrap that was available during the build-up.

I have considered "setting up" a router or three on tables to make Linderman stock. Once set and proved out by fit, it should be possible to create a fair quantity of boards in a short time. Probably take longer to prepare the "cut off ends" than the actual dovetailing.

Joe K